Changes to KY Laws

jvd99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some interesting changes to KY law.  To be labeled Kentucky it must now be distilled in KY instead of aged for a year within the state.  Second is that vintage spirits, a term without a definition, can be purchased from non-licensed private individuals and sold by bars, I presume, by the glass

https://thewhiskeywash.com/bourbon/quietly-kentuckys-legislature-tightens-definition-kentucky-bourbon/

Hmmmmm, this law seems to allow for a way to 'legalize' illegal black market (secondary market?) spirits, by selling it!!!!    Selling black market spirits has traditionally been illegal; though, I'm sure tacitly allowed (wink, wink) by under-prosecuting many offenses.     Now it seems an unlicensed agent may sell to a licensed one, and magically the spirit becomes 'legal'!  

Ain't it grand when any/every rule of law is, in reality, just a guideline, or maybe not even that... maybe more of a suggestion, eh?

I guess it's all for the best, since those well-heeled folx who have been gathering up all the rare or limited stuff needed a way to reap the expected profits, and the State of KY needed a way to monetize (tax) those transactions that already were taking place.    In the long run, it may allow for those of us without access to some of these rare (old?) liquors to get a taste, albeit likely a quite expensive one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.