Rookie Mistakes

Hrchokie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Ok, so I am a bit cynical! Doesn't mean it isn't true... B)

Bruce, here you have stated a seldom said, but often overlooked bit of wisdom, that isn't passed on nearly often enough.    You are indeed a wise and sage BOTY, sir!

On 3/15/2017 at 9:53 PM, Paddy said:

I've never had to pour anything out.  Bottles are learning experiences; never mistakes.  If you've become educated enough to determine that you don't like one... well, that's what friends (and parties) are for!  ;) 

Mine was Bookers. When starting down this bourbon path I read various "Top 10 or Top 20" bourbon lists.  Bookers was a constant on just about every one of them.  Well I picked up a bottle at Costco and thought I was drinking battery acid. Tried it a couple more times with the same results and gave it to a co-worker without asking for anything in return and none was offered which I thought was strange but oh well.

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

Mine was Bookers. When starting down this bourbon path I read various "Top 10 or Top 20" bourbon lists.  Bookers was a constant on just about every one of them.  Well I picked up a bottle at Costco and thought I was drinking battery acid. Tried it a couple more times with the same results and gave it to a co-worker without asking for anything in return and none was offered which I thought was strange but oh well.

I enjoy Booker's, but 120+ proof is not a bourbon for beginners. 

6 hours ago, DCFan said:

Not sure how long you have been drinking bourbon or how much High Proof stuff you have had but Booker's fits neatly in my top 10 for sure. Though maybe you meant the rookie mistake was giving it away ;) 

A rookie mistake I made, but then rectified was with HM 10 Single Barrel.  My first pour, right out of the bottle tasted like fingernail polish remover (or what I think it would taste like).  Almost poured it out but let it set for a few minutes while swirling it around in the glass.  Once given a chance to open up the acetone smell/flavor dissipated and it was an enjoyable pour.  Bourbon is in many cases like a good red wine.  It needs some exposure to the air to open it up. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Not sure how long you have been drinking bourbon or how much High Proof stuff you have had but Booker's fits neatly in my top 10 for sure. Though maybe you meant the rookie mistake was giving it away ;) 

No I was more than happy to see it go to a good home. But I believe Bookers clocks in around 105 proof.

Just now, DCFan said:

No I was more than happy to see it go to a good home. But I believe Bookers clocks in around 105 proof.

I have never seen it that low, I have a couple now one in the 120's and another in the 130's, it's little (non barrel proof) bronther Baker's clocks in at 107.

10 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I have never seen it that low, I have a couple now one in the 120's and another in the 130's, it's little (non barrel proof) bronther Baker's clocks in at 107.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

8 hours ago, DCFan said:

Did you try adding water to downproof it? If you're not used to drinking barrel proofers in the mid 120's range I can see how it would be an assault to the taste buds. I've never heard anyone describe it as battery acid so unless you had a bad bottle I think you just weren't prepared for a proof that high. I would not state that purchasing it was a rookie mistake as it is generally liked by most. Not giving yourself enough time to appreciate it may have been the mistake. It's all good though. All of us here have made mistakes along the way.

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

Did you try adding water to downproof it? If you're not used to drinking barrel proofers in the mid 120's range I can see how it would be an assault to the taste buds. I've never heard anyone describe it as battery acid so unless you had a bad bottle I think you just weren't prepared for a proof that high. I would not state that purchasing it was a rookie mistake as it is generally liked by most. Not giving yourself enough time to appreciate it may have been the mistake. It's all good though. All of us here have made mistakes along the way.

So that's where all the 90% full craft bottles on the bottom shelf of my liquor cabinet  came from!

Henry Du Yore Bourbon.  Stuff in rancid, and even makes coke taste bad.  Sad part is, I tried a sample in store that was decent enough.  Maybe I got a bad bottle....

A rookie mistake I made, but then rectified was with HM 10 Single Barrel.  My first pour, right out of the bottle tasted like fingernail polish remover (or what I think it would taste like).  Almost poured it out but let it set for a few minutes while swirling it around in the glass.  Once given a chance to open up the acetone smell/flavor dissipated and it was an enjoyable pour.  Bourbon is in many cases like a good red wine.  It needs some exposure to the air to open it up. 

I don't know how much of that was the air time and how much was your dinner wearing off...palates are weird for me.

On 3/29/2017 at 7:24 PM, b1gcountry said:

I don't know how much of that was the air time and how much was your dinner wearing off...palates are weird for me.

Seems to me that one of the biggest rookie mistakes is letting the first, virginal impression last a lifetime. "Sure, I tried XXX Bourbon once and it was horrid. I'll never do that again!"  Some bourbon, like advice from our fathers, tends to get better as we gain experience.

On 3/29/2017 at 7:24 PM, b1gcountry said:

10 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Seems to me that one of the biggest rookie mistakes is letting the first, virginal impression last a lifetime. "Sure, I tried XXX Bourbon once and it was horrid. I'll never do that again!"  Some bourbon, like advice from our fathers, tends to get better as we gain experience.

I don't really remember for sure but I think I had eaten a few hours earlier so I don't think it was that.  I really think it was just that extra time in the glass and the oxygen opening it up that made the difference.

However, I think Flyfish makes a good point.  Had I sat that pour down and never tasted it again I would probably have given that bottle to someone.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.