Jump to content

What Rye R U Drinking (Spring 2017)


This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

kevinbrink

Have had a few pours tonight trying to find something that hits the spot, HWRR, then diverged and had a vatting of a bunch of Beam Bourbons, finally went to left field with Angel's Envy Rye which really hit the spot, finishing the night with HW MWND.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • kevinbrink

    16

  • beasled

    15

  • 0895

    15

  • hawkeye62

    10

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I decided to open a bottle of Pikesville.  The bottle really seemed to open up the second night.  It tastes quite bourbon like to me; in a good way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Took my half-left bottle of Breucklen 77 Local Rye & Corn to the Whiskey Den for after-Whiskey Wednesday frivolity.  Darned if those animals really loved the stuff as it was GONE and in the recycle bin before I had a chance to take a pic for the Empty Bottle Support Group thread!  Now to find at least one more for MY summer deck sipper . . . . . .   :lol:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quintessential rye flavor. After the Tornado earlier, this is firing on all cylinders.

8fa4d30b606bba43f4c5af7de02e186e.jpg

B


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
4 hours ago, BFerguson said:

Quintessential rye flavor. After the Tornado earlier, this is firing on all cylinders.

8fa4d30b606bba43f4c5af7de02e186e.jpg

B


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers to you! I myself am having my first taste of the Basil Hayden Rye. I am admittedly not a fan of BH Bourbon, I hate the tunic, the copper colored belt and generally find the packaging stupid, the bourbon inside I find to be rather bland especially at it's price point.  The rye however I am enjoying, I think the price is a few bucks to high even at the price I paid ($43.99) and most places around here have it over $50. I will say it doesn't taste 80 proof I would guess low 90's though it does have a bit of a quick finish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoying Old Maysville Club with a couple of rocks while getting ready for Game 3 of Stanley Cup Playoffs. Really appreciate the qualities of this pour. Not the best "value", but classic rye character at a good proof point. You might think I'm nuts, but I actually think this would be great with a hot dog. Sadly, Mrs. EV won't let that happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Followed up with Pikesville Rye.  Bourbony rye. My first bottle and, for $50, not sure how I feel about this. Huge expectations...let down. Maybe a bad batch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracked open a Knob Creek Rye. It's a bit rough round the edges but I like the Beam profile coming through and with some water to take those rough edges off it's pretty good. Not sure I'd bother with another bottle at this point but I'm only a couple of pours in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

DSP-1 Ritt tonight.  Where 354 was too bourbony for me, the extra rye punch in the 1 makes it so much a better whiskey, IMO .  No contest, actually.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit

^Makes me want to give Rittenhouse another shot when I tried it a few years back thought it was overrated. At the time it was super popular and hard to find on the shelf. Every hipster in town was buying it up for old fashions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, beasled said:

Cracked open a Knob Creek Rye. It's a bit rough round the edges but I like the Beam profile coming through and with some water to take those rough edges off it's pretty good. Not sure I'd bother with another bottle at this point but I'm only a couple of pours in.

That's a good rye at a good price point.  I hear you on the "rough edges ".  But really for me, it's those "rough edges" which attracts me to it.  Gives it a nice brashness, I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

That's a good rye at a good price point.  I hear you on the "rough edges ".  But really for me, it's those "rough edges" which attracts me to it.  Gives it a nice brashness, I think.

 

I know where you're coming from definitively. I liked it and I'll be enjoying the rest, just not sure I'd pick it over something like Ritt Bonded with them being about the same on these shores.

 

Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
mbroo5880i
1 hour ago, beasled said:

 

I know where you're coming from definitively. I liked it and I'll be enjoying the rest, just not sure I'd pick it over something like Ritt Bonded with them being about the same on these shores.

 

Cheers!

 

Personally, I prefer KC Rye over Ritt BIB.  However, I do like Ritt BIB and buy it occasionally.  A few years back one of the stores in the northern part of the state had it priced for $20.  I bought several bottles.  The price for KC Rye is normally in the low to mid-$30s in Indy so I opt to spend a few $ more for Pikesville or a few $ for Ritt BIB.  One of the local stores has it priced at $25 right so I have been thinking about picking up a few bottles.  The one that I struggle to enjoy that many people really like is Baby Saz.  Just doesn't fit into my wheelhouse.  It is funny how folks opinions differ.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of baby Saz, I enjoyed a couple of stellar pours of it last night and it was spot on (with a great caramel nose)! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
mbroo5880i
24 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Speaking of baby Saz, I enjoyed a couple of stellar pours of it last night and it was spot on (with a great caramel nose)! 

 

What the ....? :lol:

 

Maybe I should give it another go?  Nah!

Edited by mbroo5880i
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

 

Personally, I prefer KC Rye over Ritt BIB.  However, I do like Ritt BIB and buy it occasionally.  A few years back one of the stores in the northern part of the state had it priced for $20.  I bought several bottles.  The price for KC Rye is normally in the low to mid-$30s in Indy so I opt to spend a few $ more for Pikesville or a few $ for Ritt BIB.  One of the local stores has it priced at $25 right so I have been thinking about picking up a few bottles.  The one that I struggle to enjoy that many people really like is Baby Saz.  Just doesn't fit into my wheelhouse.  It is funny how folks opinions differ.

 

I'm yet to open a Pikesville but I do have a bottle that I picked up last year, not sure what's stopping me opening it. Baby Saz I had a few years ago, not one I really remember too well, perhaps one to revisit sometime soon. 

 

Unfortunately here Pikesville is double the price of KC and RittBiB here, thanks to Jim f*cking Murray. I mean it wasn't cheap when it was first released (£65), but now it's £75-80 and above. Got mine at the lower price. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last evening, a nice pour of Michter's BS rye.  Really delicious stuff if I may say so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically I was drinking it last night, but hey. Makes an excellent Old Fashioned.rye.thumb.jpeg.ef438ae2dd71f325d5be9760ff59c905.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having some Ritt BIB while visiting my son and his family. It's a bottle I bought specifically to leave at his house, and once again I'm disappointed (it's a DSP 1). I've always loved Ritt, so when I get home I'll have to open a DPS 354 and see if it's me or if I truly just don't care for the new stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
kyrocklover

After a Saturday of yard work, a little taste of RRSB is hitting the spot.  

IMG_1188.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on the last few pours of a bottle of Dickel Rye.  This seems to be a hit or miss bottle for me.  Some nights I'm really digging it, and other nights I'm justifying the pour to make room in the cabinet.  Thankfully tonight is squarely in the "digging it" column.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really digging Hillrock Double Cask Rye at the moment. Had a few pours of this tonight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2017 at 6:00 PM, Vosgar said:

Having some Ritt BIB while visiting my son and his family. It's a bottle I bought specifically to leave at his house, and once again I'm disappointed (it's a DSP 1). I've always loved Ritt, so when I get home I'll have to open a DPS 354 and see if it's me or if I truly just don't care for the new stuff.

Tonight I opened up a DSP-354 bought in 2012, and this is the Ritt I love. Delicious but definitely has a lot of bourbon characteristics to it with only a hint of it being a rye whiskey. Did I maybe get an "off" bottle of the DSP-1? Perhaps, but I'm damn glad I have a few of the 354's

 

On 6/7/2017 at 8:36 PM, smokinjoe said:

DSP-1 Ritt tonight.  Where 354 was too bourbony for me, the extra rye punch in the 1 makes it so much a better whiskey, IMO .  No contest, actually.  

Another great example of how we all have our own tastes and preferences. Joe and I enjoy a lot of the same whiskies and he and the GBS guys have picked some phenomenal barrels....... but we don't always agree and that's just fine!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Tonight I opened up a DSP-354 bought in 2012, and this is the Ritt I love. Delicious but definitely has a lot of bourbon characteristics to it with only a hint of it being a rye whiskey. Did I maybe get an "off" bottle of the DSP-1? Perhaps, but I'm damn glad I have a few of the 354's

 

Another great example of how we all have our own tastes and preferences. Joe and I enjoy a lot of the same whiskies and he and the GBS guys have picked some phenomenal barrels....... but we don't always agree and that's just fine!

Exactly !  We 're all so different.  Heck, I my own opinions are subject to change with the changes  in my own palate!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched a few episodes of Brockmire last night while sipping on some baby saz. Followed it up with a pour of RRRSB. Loved both of the pours and in that order the mellow fruity/floral I get from the saz is complemented nicely with the spiciness in Russell's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.