Airing of grievances

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

Yeah, I've heard that on the local news too.  Me, I'm probably not the typical customer.  I go to liquor stores simply because they have items not usually found in the grocery or drug store.

I don't think a business should have to be open on Sunday - if the people that run it don't want to open (like Chick Fillet).  On the other hand, I know of some small restaurants that were open all week-end, but closed Monday or Tuesday.

I would love it if someone in the state legilature stood up and said, "We don't sell liquor on Sunday (because it's bad).  We shouldn't sell tobacco or allow any form of lottery or gambling on Sunday either". Ha-ha

Of course, now Paul, we have the whole Ricker's issue where they added a "restaurant" at two of their convenience stores so they can sell cold beer.  The liquor lobby is all up in arms claiming they are circumventing the current regulations.  However, microbreweries just went through that fight a few years back and won.  Sun King added a lesser "restaurant" consisting of Hot Pockets and got away with it.  As a consumer, the shifting of sales from Saturday or Monday to Sunday isn't my concern.  The Sunday sales model works in other states.  Ultimately, the market reaches an equilibrium.  The real fear is that with Sunday sales and groceries/drug stores allowed to sell cold beer will further cut into liquor store sales.  I already see Kroger and Meijer stealing market share even as competition with liquor stores is limited.  Kroger is making a head on run into liquor and wine sales.

The Meijer by me recently did a big expansion in their liquor area.  Honestly, it's larger with more inventory than many stand alone liquor stores.  When I lived in MI; the Meijer stores sold cold beer and there were Sunday sales after noon.  I really don't buy much bourbon at Meijer.  They dropped Four Roses and Old Grandad to make room for a bunch of NDP and fake moonshine garbage.  Once in a great while they have something on sale that I want (including beer).

Kroger seems to not have much of a bourbon selection, and high prices for the most part.  They started selling cold wine and cider type beverages.  It's funny; that's ok, but no cold beer?

The vast majority of my bourbon comes from liquor stores because of better selection.

It would be nice to do a little hunting on Sundays, when the opportunity arrises.  Others states have Sunday sales.  Did all the liquor stores close there?  I doubt the option to be open on Sunday would affect all stores the same.  Some would probably make money; others loose a little, or no change.  Heck, OH even lets gas stations sell cold beer.

On 4/5/2017 at 2:10 PM, PaulO said:

Yeah, I've heard that on the local news too.  Me, I'm probably not the typical customer.  I go to liquor stores simply because they have items not usually found in the grocery or drug store.

I don't think a business should have to be open on Sunday - if the people that run it don't want to open (like Chick Fillet).  On the other hand, I know of some small restaurants that were open all week-end, but closed Monday or Tuesday.

I would love it if someone in the state legilature stood up and said, "We don't sell liquor on Sunday (because it's bad).  We shouldn't sell tobacco or allow any form of lottery or gambling on Sunday either". Ha-ha

Yeah I'm with you.  I buy 99% of my whiskey and wine from package/liquor stores.  I don't want only grocery stores open on sundays.  I'm so salty because everytime I'm traveling to other parts of the state, and have time to stop and peruse hole in the wall stores of the local mega stores, its a #*@(%&)*#(%&%&*(%& SUNDAY!

In college, we made the trip to illinois on a sunday a few times haha.

And in general, I hate the law because of separation of church and state and stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.