Appleton Joy Edition is out

Lucid
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, it's out. Now the indecision begins. As a Jamaica rum enthusiast I'm sorely tempted despite the obvious question of the price and whether we can trust it. The suggestions that newer bottles of the 21-year have flavor additives are as yet unproven and Ms Spence absolutely deserves this celebration. This is probably all too cynical, but I'm on the fence.

Anyone here decided to take the plunge?

Inu A Kena review here

19 minutes ago, Lucid said:

Well, it's out. Now the indecision begins. As a Jamaica rum enthusiast I'm sorely tempted despite the obvious question of the price and whether we can trust it. The suggestions that newer bottles of the 21-year have flavor additives are as yet unproven and Ms Spence absolutely deserves this celebration. This is probably all too cynical, but I'm on the fence.

Anyone here decided to take the plunge?

Inu A Kena review here

It is pretty!

And Appleton has a generally decent reputation but I always default to my assumption that rum is a cocktail in a bottle until proven otherwise. Not really that expensive at $250 in the grand scheme of things these days for a blend of 25yo and 35yo rum, even if it is mostly 25yo. And I have always enjoyed the occasional tasting of the 21yo and the past sugar tests seem to give it a pass as a low to no sugar content rum, in spite of Serge's dislike for it. It is a bit sweet though as I remember. Not El Dorado sweet but a bit sweeter than the 12yo. Generally the 12yo seems pretty sufficient for me as both a sipper and a mixer..

Maybe the rules are different when you blend rums of different ages when it comes to adding sugar or other mystery ingredients, I have no real idea.

But at this point in my life, with rare exceptions, I am inclined to want to taste before I buy at the higher end of pricing and I don't think it is likely that I would ever get a chance to taste it first. Much less have a chance to buy a bottle!

So I suppose I am a pass. Although you never know!

• 4 months later...

Well…I wasn’t buying, but apparently this might be a birthday gift.

Stay tuned, I guess? Review when I can.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.