Jump to content

What Rye did you purchase today (Spring/Summer 2017)


This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

kevinbrink
12 minutes ago, Whiskey Dick said:

 

 

hmmmm. ineresting, tell us more.

 

 

had some 3 year WFE rye at a friend's tonight. My second time with a second bottle of the 3 year / 110 proof rye. I have to say I like it, and can't wait to see how it is at 4 years, then 5........

 

I still have multiples of SAOS rye single barrel BP at 7-9 years old, but I wouldnt hesitate to try another MGP bottler of barrel proof rye at 6 years....

Apparently this was sourced by a company called KGB Spirits in New Mexico at a younger aged and has been released every year since it was 4 years old. My bottle is 6 years and really seems to have more age on it than the SAOS 7 in my liquor cabinet (admittedly not the SB CS) and the Redemption 7 I have, more oak and less obvious MGP dill notes.  I like it for sure, I'll have to do an MGP SBS to decide if I need another bottle. I dig the young WFE ryes I have the 2 yr 111.4 and the 3 yr 111.2 open now and have another 3 yr 112.8 ready to crack at some point. I agree I'm really looking forward to trying this as it gets older.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • kevinbrink

    17

  • tanstaafl2

    10

  • 0895

    9

  • JoeTerp

    6

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For more classic rye whiskey drinking I think I would have to agree. But the AE rye is (or at least was, haven't bought a bottle recently) an unusual and pretty distinctly unique whiskey from the impa

Visited Hillrock Estate yesterday and picked up their Double Cask Rye. 

Over the weekend I picked up a bottle of my favorite, Pikesville, for $36.95. I should’ve grabbed multiples. Oh well. 

Posted Images

tanstaafl2
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, kevinbrink said:

Bought this on a whim, assuming it is MGP since it's 95% rye, cask strength MGP Rye with age on it isn't as easy to come by around here than it was a couple years ago so 6 years for $60 I was good with.

WP_20170528_21_30_57_Pro.jpg

 

It is according to what I have been told by the owner. Supposedly they buy some MGP whiskey and take it back to New Mexico where it ages for a bit more sitting in the trailer of the truck they used to haul it down there. Don't know if they still do it that way.

 

I bought a couple of their single barrel "Taos Lightning" MGP ryes from K&L a while back that was aged 17 years. One bottle was really good and the other was, well, less so. The difference in appearance between the two was also rather striking. Guess which one tasted better!

 

592dd6e83a0aa_TaosLightning3.JPG.c2e61997c6c11874c8746edae8544324.JPG592dd8ef554e3_TaosLightning2.JPG.3459768508391e095b3743c03e3b8301.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

 

It is according to what I have been told by the owner. Supposedly they buy some MGP whiskey and take it back to New Mexico where it ages for a bit more sitting in the trailer of the truck they used to haul it down there. Don't know if they still do it that way.

 

I bought a couple of their single barrel "Taos Lightning" MGP ryes from K&L a while back that was aged 17 years. One bottle was really good and the other was, well, less so. The difference in appearance between the two was also rather striking. Guess which one tasted better!

 

592dd6e83a0aa_TaosLightning3.JPG.c2e61997c6c11874c8746edae8544324.JPG592dd8ef554e3_TaosLightning2.JPG.3459768508391e095b3743c03e3b8301.JPG

Wow the one on the left, the only other whiskey I have seen quite that uh.... murky, is one of the Widow Jane offerings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a bottle of baby Saz. Passed on Hochstadter's 16 year ($200) and LS&B 16 year ($170).

Link to post
Share on other sites
scratchline

Stumbled across these today and decided to bring them home.  They're harder to find and getting more expensive...like everything else in these parts.

 

 

IMG_0588.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
4 hours ago, scratchline said:

Stumbled across these today and decided to bring them home.  They're harder to find and getting more expensive...like everything else in these parts.

 

 

IMG_0588.JPG

I still know a few places in NJ where I can find bottles, unless that's where you got these ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I purchased these bottles on recent trips to WA and AZ. 

 

Regards, Jim

Rye.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Picked this one up today, my first High West bottle 
image.thumb.jpg.e6c7dd34a02afef33f1c8bbd36b27168.jpg

I have had one of those for a while and just opened it yesterday. Jury is still out, initial impression was not that good but I don't like to make final judgment until I have tried one several times because the palate can change from day to day.
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Thig said:


I have had one of those for a while and just opened it yesterday. Jury is still out, initial impression was not that good but I don't like to make final judgment until I have tried one several times because the palate can change from day to day.

It seems to be getting mixed reviews, its either love it or not so much. It will be the weekend before I can give it a try. I am on a business trip and hate the trouble of trying to get a open bottle home.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Found a good deal on some RR 6y Rye today and couldn't pass them up. 

50% off original price and another $2 off of that. 

Not bad....

IMG_1892.thumb.JPG.40283c3b73b47623f6e7c341f1cd73b7.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Grabbed a RRSB. The store had it at $37. I'm pretty sure they had the price of the single barrel and six year reversed. I asked the cashier if the price was correct — she didn't seem to know or care! I figured at that point I could buy it without feeling badly about the likely mistake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Spade said:

Grabbed a RRSB. The store had it at $37. I'm pretty sure they had the price of the single barrel and six year reversed. I asked the cashier if the price was correct — she didn't seem to know or care! I figured at that point I could buy it without feeling badly about the likely mistake.

Nice job.  That's how it should be done.  Besides having a clear conscience, by being a stand up guy and asking about the price, you will be rewarded with 7 Bourbon Karma Points for future use.   :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nice job.  That's how it should be done.  Besides having a clear conscience, by being a stand up guy and asking about the price, you will be rewarded with 7 Bourbon Karma Points for future use.   [emoji4]

Where do we cash those in Joe? Every time I try it's like being at the prize counter at Chucky Cheese..."oh sorry, you need ten more points for that."
Fortunately, they have a 2 to 1 exchange rate on Scotch Karma Points so I've used some of those lately.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I stopped by a small shop that I'd never been in today and looked around for a while and then started talking with the manager (perhaps the owner) about whiskey.  During the discussion he says, "I've got a few on clearance over here if you haven't seen them mixed in with all the wines, etc. also on clearance." He proceeds to show me two bottles of LSB 13yr marked down from $129 to $99, but he says, "If you want both, I'll let you have them both for $129 total."  I bought both bottles and also picked up a bottle of WP 10yr for $50. I wasn't really looking for rye whiskeys today, but couldn't pass up those deals. I've been wanting to try LSB13 for awhile, but I was never willing to pay the asking price...and that's also the lowest price I've ever paid for WP10. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I stopped by a small shop that I'd never been in today and looked around for a while and then started talking with the manager (perhaps the owner) about whiskey.  During the discussion he says, "I've got a few on clearance over here if you haven't seen them mixed in with all the wines, etc. also on clearance." He proceeds to show me two bottles of LSB 13yr marked down from $129 to $99, but he says, "If you want both, I'll let you have them both for $129 total."  I bought both bottles and also picked up a bottle of WP 10yr for $50. I wasn't really looking for rye whiskeys today, but couldn't pass up those deals. I've been wanting to try LSB13 for awhile, but I was never willing to pay the asking price...and that's also the lowest price I've ever paid for WP10. 

Dang.......

I've been avoiding that one due to price. At $129 for two though? I'd have jumped at that as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dang.......

I've been avoiding that one due to price. At $129 for two though? I'd have jumped at that as well.

Steve,

 

I had been doing the same, since I've never seen it for less than $120. I was still thinking of avoiding it at $99, but at $65 each, I couldn't turn it down. I popped the cork on one of the bottles in the store and tasted it with the manager/owner and another staffer. We all liked it enough that he started having second thoughts about whether he should have put it on clearance. Hopefully, I also earned a little goodwill at a new store that I can visit in the future.

 

Cheers,

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
drunkenjayhawk
On 7/6/2017 at 9:25 PM, LCWoody said:

Found a good deal on some RR 6y Rye today and couldn't pass them up. 

50% off original price and another $2 off of that. 

Not bad....

IMG_1892.thumb.JPG.40283c3b73b47623f6e7c341f1cd73b7.JPG

Very nice, wish i could see this price once or twice.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Something fro a local place - Still 630 RallyPoint rye finished in a Sherry cask. 124.3 proof, so a big'un. Been enjoying their stuff for a while and while this one was a touch pricey, I'll support a local place that puts out good stuff e2809d706714e37e571e2076d88ecc36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

I caved and finally bought a bottle of Angel's Envy Rye finished in Caribbean Rum Barrels. I tried it down in Kentucky back in June and loved it as a dessert type of drink.  Plus I had $10 off offer that was expiring to ease the $79.99 price tag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSpartan said:

I caved and finally bought a bottle of Angel's Envy Rye finished in Caribbean Rum Barrels. I tried it down in Kentucky back in June and loved it as a dessert type of drink.  Plus I had $10 off offer that was expiring to ease the $79.99 price tag.

 

I wonder what difference, if any, there is from the rum barrels used to finish the MGP rye. The original releases were reportedly from Ferrand/Plantation but now that AE is part of the Bacardi family are they using Bacardi barrels?  The Ferrand/Plantation barrels may have also been used for Cognac before their use for rum which I doubt is the case for Bacardi. Bacardi would more likely be ex bourbon barrels that were then used for rum I would suppose.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.