Mellow corn | Heaven Hill | Medley labeling?

JT3NSB
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I enjoy Mellow Corn and order a case at a time to keep in the stash.  I just received a new case from my local LS.   I have about 6 bottles left from almost a year ago.  Last night I noticed more words on the old label than the new.  So, out came the readers and what I found was interesting to me. 

The old label states Its distilled by Heaven Hill DSP KY 354, bottled by Medley Company Bardstown, KY DSP 31.  Then goes on to to have a note at the bottom stating, Not connected with any other distillery using the name Medley.

Anyone know the story behind this?   I know that Medley name has started to pop up with 10 and 12 yr product, but didn't understand what has changed if anything with Mellow Corn. I haven't done a SBS yet old vs new.  But I'm now curious what's up. 

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6848.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6850.jpg

i left out that the new bottles show distilled and bottled by Heaven Hill.  Nothing more about Medley?? 

At the time that B-F took over making MC for HH in the late 90's after the fire the Medley family had recently purchased the old Medley distillery from United and presumably there was some thought that they would begin distilling again. It never happened. Everything produced under the Medley name was sourced and now Terressentia recently bought Medley distillery, renamed it and presumably are or will be distilling there under a new name.

So perhaps that is why those older bottles made that clarification.

makes some sense, but the older bottles are from just a year ago.   assuming they were bottled shortly before, minus 4yr, would mean distillation around 2012.  i hadn't noticed that on MC.

17 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

makes some sense, but the older bottles are from just a year ago.   assuming they were bottled shortly before, minus 4yr, would mean distillation around 2012.  i hadn't noticed that on MC.

Hard to know for sure. They may not have ever bothered to change the original label!

• 3 months later...

What I find funny isnthat they dropped the text references to the Medley name (probably to make way for Charles' return to the business), but they kept the Medley shield logo. Then again, outside of that BiB requirement text, the label hasn't changed in decades. But I would think they could swap in the Heaven Hill shield and not have to change anything else. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.