Super Bowl Bourbon 2004

Barrel_Proof
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's Super Bowl Sunday once again and you know what that means – time for BP’s Super Bowl starting bourbon line-up, subject to substitution for poor performance under pressure, of course. Last year’s line-up was a fine one: Super Bowl Bourbon 2003. Tonight’s starters are lined up and ready for action.

1st Quarter:

In honor of tonight’s venue and the reemergence of the Texans, Sam Houston 10yo 90 will be my kick-off pour.

2nd Quarter:

One of the stars of 2003 will start the second quarter, Barton’s Ridgewood Reserve 1792, at 93.7.

Van Winkle Half Time:

This year the Van Winkle Half Time features a shoot out between the Van Winkle Ryes – 12yo Old Time, at 90, and 13yo Family Reserve, at 95.6.

3rd Quarter:

Now things are getting serious. It’s time to hit the triple digits in proof. Tonight’s Heaven Hill starter is Evan Williams Red Label 12yo, a fiesty 101.

4th Quarter:

To close out the game, I’ve decided to close out a celebrated bottle – the one and only, original Cracker Jack that made its way to Bardstown for the 2003 Festival. The few fingers that remain of this Old Fitzgerald BIB 100 will top off tonight’s game. (It wouldn't be a Super Bowl without some peanuts!)

Overtime:

In the rare event of a Super Bowl Overtime, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, at 108.4, will appear after the coin toss.

Enjoy the game and post your pours as the evening progresses!

Re 'Texan' Sam Houston, we Tennesseans like to note that he was a governor of Tennessee before he went to Texas, just as David "Davey" Crockett was a congressman from Tennessee before he went to Texas. Which is to say, without Tennessee, Texas might still be Mexico (It was President James K. Polk, a Tennessean, who oversaw the Mexican War and promoted the annexation of the Republic of Texas as a U.S. state). However, since we got the Titans out of Houston a few years ago (and they got me to my first Super Bowl four years ago -- there, back on topic now!), we'll call it even.

I think the Houston Oilers played the New York Giants. I saw YA Tittle and Earl Campbell on the field just before I had to leave for work. crazy.gif

I took a full bottle of EWSB 93 to a good friend's party. He has a commercial size BBQ'er (rotating racks, propane and wood fired, etc) and we cooked briskets, chicken, duck, etc. This crowd is mostly a Miller Lite/Sc____/JD drinking bunch. A couple of the sc____ drinkers tasted the EWSB and commented how much they liked it and that it was the best bourbon they had ever had. Pretty soon the JD drinkers were giving it a try. Guess who's bottle was emptied first? When they heard EWSB's price compared to their normal drinks they didn't believe it. These "converts" are headed to the liquor store today to stock up. Should I tell them about all the other good stuff out there?

BTW, bourbon and brisket are a great combo.

Randy B

I went with 2002 Stagg, 2003 Stagg, Twisted Spoke, 1982 OGD 114, and WTKS in no particular order.

No, no, no! You will ruin it for the rest of us. You have already noticed how they perceive the value as being higher than the price. They will just drive the prices up for everybody.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.