Day trip to Bourbon Country

Jazz Nut
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All,

I am taking a trip with my dad to see my grandpa for his 85th birthday, he lives near Terre Haute, Indiana (I grew up there), which is ~4 hours drive from some distilleries.

I am a big bourbon enthusiast but have not been to any Kentucky Distillery (been to Dickel in TN, and Corsair).

If I only have one day to tour around, which distilleries would be the best place to go for the tour and distillery only bottles?  

Of those who have gone, which distilleries would you recommend, and how many could I do in one day?  Assuming I get to the area around 10am.

Thanks for your help!!

This forum has a lot of helpful info if you dig around. Your question is tough to answer without typing a wall of text. You also will find answers to almost all of your questions here:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hKcFqNtKBrqzFPKJVye-wz0mbLChj9haguY4l_iRgtI/mobilebasic

Coming from TH I would zero in on Bardstown and do two to three max. 

^^^ What OD said.    Bardstown is a great 'base of operations' for Bourbon Distillery visits. 

Heaven Hill is quite close (although, not an actual distillery, just a very nice visitor center: Bourbon Heritage Center) with a rickhouse included on at least some of the tours, and nice tasting options).

1792 (Barton) is right in Bardstown, and a decent tour/tasting.

Willett is quite near, if a rather small/crafty operation, still a nice tour.

Jim Beam is very close, and does a good tour, though the tasting is a bit off-putting with it's auto-dispenser machines.

And, Four Roses Cox's Creek location does tours, though, again no actual distilling happens at Cox's Creek, and their tours seem to be harder to schedule, at least for me.    I'd call ahead for any/all to be sure about tour schedules, and even to pre-arrange in advance of arrival, since it seems you may be tight on your scheduling.

Good Luck!

You can't go wrong either way, but also have the option to head East and be at BT in about 40 minutes (from the bridge entering Ky). 

It really just depends on how much you want to do/travel in one day.  From BT, you can get to Woodford in about 15 minutes, another 15-20 beyond to WT, another 10-15 beyond to FR (and your still only about an hour out of Louisville).   

Thank you all for the recommendations.  I'd really like to stay overnight, but the real purpose is to visit family.

I am really looking forward to the trip, I appreciate the feedback.

If you're coming up I 65 then like others have said Bardstown is a good bet.  I would definitely do the Jim Beam tour.  Louisville has the Evan Williams Experience which is pretty neat.  Angel's Envy recently opened and I haven't been but have heard good things about it.

I would second, or third the Bardstown idea.  You can squeeze a lot in a day because everything is so close to each other.  Not much driving at all once you get there. 

Hi Everyone,

Here's a quick update about the trip!

We decided to start in Bardstown at Heaven Hill, and did the tasting.  Ended up having a lovely and knowledgeable guide. Tasted through Henry McKenna BIB, EC18, Old Fitzgerald 12, Pikesville, and the 25 year overaged bourbon (which I didn't mind).  Then the guide suggested we stop at Willett since it was so close.  We had a fantastic tour there, the rickhouse smell was divine.  Great tour, small group, and totally non-commercial.  We then ended the day at Makers Mark.  Had fun dipping bottles, and touring the grounds.  I must go back soon.  One day was NOT enough.  Thanks for the tips everyone!  I'll post more when I get home.

IMG_9295.JPG

IMG_9316.JPG

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Those pictures of the rickhouse are awesome, is that Willett?

Yes, that's Willett!  It was a really fun tour.  Thank you!

Interesting, the barrels that were just delivered were "seasoned" for 24 months.  I neglected to ask if all barrels were seasoned for 24 months, seems like way above the average for distillers.  But likely a big positive for flavor.

IMG_9297.JPG

Yes, that's Willett!  It was a really fun tour.  Thank you!

Those pics, particularly the 2nd one looks a promo shot where a camera crew sits around all week for the perfect lighting.

To me that looks a picture perfect spring day up north.

4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Those pics, particularly the 2nd one looks a promo shot where a camera crew sits around all week for the perfect lighting.

To me that looks a picture perfect spring day up north.

The day started out cloudy, but once we got to Willett (around 11:45) it cleared up, and was a great Spring day!  Thanks for the compliments on the photos, the rick house one was totally by chance.  The tour guide didn't quite shut the door, so I was able to get a few shots.  I have to say, the smell in the rickhouse was amazing.  The chef, Sean Brock, is also aging several hams in the rickhouse, I bet they would taste amazing.

Sounds like you had fun, and hitting 3 places in one day with tour time and travel can feel busy.  Makers has a great tour.  I plan to get back at least when my ambassador barrel is ready, if not before.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.