Old Forester Statesman

maybeling
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looks like this product is going to be pimped pretty severely in this new movie...

"I have to say that is delicious"... translates to "I am contractually obligated to say that is delicious"

So what is it, OFSig at a lower proof, fancier bottle? What makes it different than the standard stuff?

9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

So what is it, OFSig at a lower proof, fancier bottle? What makes it different than the standard stuff?

The difference is likely just the proof, and the label.     At least until other information comes to light, that's my assumption.     That is a really nice picture of the new bottle presented there eh?

The difference is likely just the proof, and the label.     At least until other information comes to light, that's my assumption.     That is a really nice picture of the new bottle presented there eh?

The bottle is real purty but hope there not charging premium if it's just a lower proof OFSig with no extra age or anything

9 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

The bottle is real purty but hope there not charging premium if it's just a lower proof OFSig with no extra age or anything

Don't know what the eventual shelf cost will be but the MSRP in the announcement I read was a laughable $54.99.

More news from the bastion of bourbon knowledge, Men's Journal ...

"Statesman Bourbon, as it's being called, is not just a repackaged bottle of Old Forester — it's a special selection batch of Old Forester’s typical premium bourbon. The barrels used to make Statesman come from the “warmest places in the warehouse,” which are typically the top floor."

But then again we whiskey nerds are clearly not the target audience (are we ever?).

"Statesmen boasts a rye mash bill, as you’d expect from Old Forester, with 18 percent rye, 72 percent corn, and 10 percent malted barley — the typical profile for the distillery. Statesman is being bottled at 95 proof, probably to make it a little more palatable."

Might taste ok but 95 proof NAS bourbon that is the same basic OF but drawn from higher in the rickhouses for about $25-30 more than OF Signature? Umm, no.

If Matthew Vaughan and the previous Kingsman film is anything to go by, this would appear to be a big poke at the ridiculous advertising that James Bond films are usually accompanied by (Heineken, vodka etc). 

I thought the first movie was bad in an entertaining, never watch it again way...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Not sure what she really drinx when there are no cameras around; but, I'd like to around her with no cameras around.

• 2 weeks later...

This released this week, anyone tried it. The release said 4-6 year old barrels from the 7th floor. $55???

Have to be pretty impressive for me to buy that over 2 McKenna 10 years, 3 EWSB, or a Four Roses cask strength. Any feed back?

4 hours ago, Mako254 said:

This released this week, anyone tried it. The release said 4-6 year old barrels from the 7th floor. $55???

Have to be pretty impressive for me to buy that over 2 McKenna 10 years, 3 EWSB, or a Four Roses cask strength. Any feed back?

I saw it today in a store in KY. It just came in and was still sitting on the floor with in the unopened case.  I just don't understand the price on it. It's almost like they think sticking a high price on a bottle all of a sudden makes it great bourbon. The owner did say he's been getting calls about it all week so his case probably will sell out quick. 

7 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I tried it at a bar in KY last month.

It's good, IF you like OF.  Has a very classic OF taste.

I wouldn't say that its any better than OF 1920, or some of the store pick single barrel 90p bottles that I've tried.

4 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I tried it at a bar in KY last month.

It's good, IF you like OF.  Has a very classic OF taste.

I wouldn't say that its any better than OF 1920, or some of the store pick single barrel 90p bottles that I've tried.

The total wine here in columbia had a barrel pick and I picked up two bottles. For some reason, I like it more as a second pour. 

OF Statesman: A fine example of product (or brand, if you will) proliferation.     This will rope in many, many 'collectors', and many newbies, who will assume at this price, when compared to Sig, this must be "The Good Stuff".

I always chuckle when we bring in the supposed duping of our new members of bournonia, and claim they are the target/victim of any new "limited" release that might be poo-poo'd by the bourbon intelligentsia.  As if, any of us weren't there before, and these new people are unable to make sound purchasing decisions.  And before we claim we're just trying to teach from our experiences, there may be a day down the road when these bottles may be great finds on the gazebo table, or lucrative secondary sales (for those so inclined).   "Special", is in the eye of the beholder, and many times missed by the jaded.  I know that many great dusties found on shelves in recent times were thought by many in the day to be nothing more than marketing enticements for the uninitiated.  

Joe, as usual, you make some good points.    I stand properly chastised. 

Still, I won't seek the Statesman, and am willing to take the risk of missing out on a future 'dusty'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 9:00 AM, Golzee said:

Halle Berry likes it.  We need to send her a straight bourbon invite.

I participated in an OF Single Barrel store pick with my favorite local store this week. OF's Master Taster was there to conduct the pick. At the end of the pick, she asked if any of us had tried Statesmen yet and we had not because it's not in our market yet. So they pulled out a bottle for us to try. I thought it was pretty good actually. The price is another matter though.

Someone asked about the video of Halle Barry chugging it.

She told us it was iced tea. I asked if she knew that for sure. Yes, she said, I was the one who filled the glass. 

I tried it sbs with OF Signature at a distributor show this week. Not only is the price a problem. I would rather drink OF Sig even if the price were the same!

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I tried it sbs with OF Signature at a distributor show this week. Not only is the price a problem. I would rather drink OF Sig even if the price were the same!

I'm hoping someone will have a bottle in Bardstown next month, as I'd buy my next bottle of OFS to do exactly this with.  The price point certainly makes me skeptical - but then again, I'm a cheap bastard :lol:

My first taste of OF was the 1897 which put me off the brand for a little while. I didn't care for it at all. But I recently did a sbsbs with 2016 OFBB, 1920, and SB and found all three pleasant with the 1920 winning outright in my mind. For the price difference I won't need to worry any more about making room for the BB bottle. 

22 hours ago, JTaylor said:

My first taste of OF was the 1897 which put me off the brand for a little while. I didn't care for it at all. But I recently did a sbsbs with 2016 OFBB, 1920, and SB and found all three pleasant with the 1920 winning outright in my mind. For the price difference I won't need to worry any more about making room for the BB bottle. 

Interestingly,  I participated in a blind sbs with 2016 OFBB and OF1920 at a party, and the 1920 won with 5 out of 6 tasters.

I really like the 1920 as well but I don't currently have a bottle. I don't think I currently have any OF products on hand. I should fix that! I wish 1920 was about $10 cheaper. It's current price ~ $55-60 puts it above Stagg Jr. ~ $44-50 And I prefer SJR. 1920 is unique though in its flavor profile to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.