What's your reference bourbon?

Flyfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yesterday I visited my local merchant to get a bottle.  Considered 4RYL because I think of it as a light, pleasant spring and summer option. To the right of it was WT101 for just a few cents more and I had just depleted my last handle. To the right of the WT was OE101 for about a buck more. Now, I used to drink a lot more EO when it was a couple bucks less than WT. So I caught myself in an internal dialogue. Sure, I like the 4R but for just a few cents more I can have WT. And, sure, I like the OE but not more than WT. So I picked up the WT.

Now, I will confess to being a cheap old geezer. (Which is redundant.) I like me some WTRB on occasion but I actually find the 101 better balanced. And I will also go for some WTKS but I don't think I like it twice as much as 101. And I'll grab the RR when I see it for less than $30. The point is, plain old WT101 has, quite unconsciously, become the standard by which I judge bourbon purchases. Do I like the alternatives better? Am I willing to pay more? Am I cheap? Yes. But not so cheap that I won't buy multiple bottles of Stagg Jr. when I see it. Still, I often find myself deciding that I'd rather have two bottles or a handle of WT rather than one of something else.

So, what is your reference or yardstick bourbon against which you measure others?

For basically all the reasons listed by Flyfish, WT101 is the same for me. 

LOL Josh! The bourbon world is your oyster with that reference point.

On the inexpensive side I keep the WT101 and 4RYL on hand.  I will drink both neat and they are good for mixing. Obviously these are very different from each other, but both fit a particular mood or purpose. I have not found anything cheaper than those that I like.  Personally I don't care for handles.  I don't care for their look and they are too large for the rate of consumption.  I do have a a few of 1.75L bottles.  Costco had the WT101 1.75L for $29 and the others were for bourbons that I can have a hard time finding, Eagle Rare and Weller.

It's hard for me to have a reference point being as I so recently got into bourbon, but if forced to pick one I guess I would have to say EC Small Batch.  Mainly because if I'm standing in front of the cabinet trying to decide I'll often go for it.  Priced under $30 so it's not a bank breaker.

For what I personally consider to be most representative of what bourbon is, I'd go with Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare 10. My "home" bourbon, which I cut my teeth on, and as you asked for–the one I judge all others by, is Bulleit bourbon.

WT101 is my reference, and current favorite daily or almost daily sipper.  Beam products don't cross my lips much at all anymore.

I'd go with WT101 as well, for more or less the same reasons as Flyfish stated. I think RRSB is great and often have one around, but I do from time to time think about how it's not (more than) twice as good as WT101. Like just about everyone on here I like to have variety so keep multiple bottles open, but it really is hard to beat the quality-to-value ratio of WT101 for me.

When I wanted to take one bourbon bottle with me overseas, and had to balance what I wanted to drink while on vacation (as both a sipper and a mixer) versus something inexpensive enough that it wouldn't bother me if I lost it to breakage or in customs, I went with WT101 above all others.  It's my favorite all-arounder.

Flyfish, I also find the 101 more balanced than RB (although RB has such a full flavor,  I love it)

Blanton's - boring, I know.  But I really, really like it!  YMMV.   :lol:

OGD BIB is my most consumed.  Basic BT (and its candy apple) when I'm in a restaurant and can't decide.  Booker's (at home or when out) when I want a hit.  KC when BT is not available, and I don't want a hit.  WT 101 (Hi, Paul) when I want a change of pace.  EW BIB (White) is my mixer nowadays although JB BIB is nudging its way in.  MMCS, Larceny, or Bernheim ( Wheat whiskey, not a bourbon) on hot summer days.

In sum - OGD BIB.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
WHEAT not HEAT - wheat whiskey never brings heat.

5 hours ago, Northern Bourbon said:

For what I personally consider to be most representative of what bourbon is, I'd go with Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare 10. My "home" bourbon, which I cut my teeth on, and as you asked for–the one I judge all others by, is Bulleit bourbon.

This means that Four Roses is your reference bourbon since they distilled most of Bulleit's stock. It's got some other stuff mixed in, but it was mostly 4R until a couple years ago.

1 minute ago, flahute said:

This means that Four Roses is your reference bourbon since they distilled most of Bulleit's stock. It's got some other stuff mixed in, but it was mostly 4R until a couple years ago.

4R is not a bad benchmark.  But then, most of the ones named here are good things to measure others by.  I hadn't thought of Blanton's until GeeTen mentioned it, but over the last ten years it has to be - along with MM and JD - most named as the gateway.  Certainly, it is the most-named available "premium" for newbies.

Good thread, Steve.  It got me thinking again.  And that is no easy trick.B)

Another vote for WT 101.  For me, it's always been the standard that others are judged from.

22 hours ago, Josh said:

Kentucky Owl.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ha

18 hours ago, Northern Bourbon said:

Eagle Rare 10 is both what I would consider a very traditional, standard bourbon, and also in my opinion the best quality bourbon for the price that money can buy. I have a spreadsheet that tracks what I pay and how well I rate my whiskey and ER10 scores the highest on the value metric. It's the bourbon that I recommend to anyone who doesn't know a whole lot about whiskey.

Edited by EarthQuake

I don't think I could pick a reference bourbon since I like so many different things. It just depends on what I'm in the mood for or what tastes good to me at any given time. I do know that I like some bourbons more some evenings than others and know enough now to just move on and have that bourbon another evening when it may be just what I'm looking for. 

Wild Turkey 101 is about as quintessential a bourbon as it gets.    I typically use Evan Williams Black Label as my reference point, though.  That's ground zero for me.  Switching up a bit, George Dickel 12 is my stale palate fixer when I get into a funk.  

Edited by smokinjoe

WT 101 and OGD BiB. I've always been in the minority when it comes to 4RYL. It doesn't do anything for me...lol.

For me it is OGDBIB and HH6BIB

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

BT is my favorite "cheap" bourbon and Blanton's if I want to up my game.

Like a few others here I'd have to go with Blanton's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanton's is a tough find around here. It must be more abundant elsewhere.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.