What's your reference bourbon?

Flyfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

WT101 is a good yardstick.  I also refer to EW BIB (white) and Old Ezra 7/101 for quality/price benchmarks.  Curiously, WT101 and OE7/101 are currently the same price here in MI.

On 2017-05-07 at 3:45 AM, flahute said:

This means that Four Roses is your reference bourbon since they distilled most of Bulleit's stock. It's got some other stuff mixed in, but it was mostly 4R until a couple years ago.

Yes and no, maybe. No doubt that majority of the bourbon stock was produced at 4R. But, they talked about something very interesting on the 8th roundtable episode of Bourbon Pursuit (the discussion starts at 29:02): Apparently Sheryl Alagna, Former Master of Whisky at Diageo wrote in a Facebook group out of Houston (bourbon group I assume) that the bourbon 4R produced for Bulleit had both a proprietary mashbill and yeast, and she is quoted saying "it does not have any Four Roses lineage whatsoever other than where it's made".

I haven't found any response from Bulleit. I doubt they'll officially respond, considering they haven't exactly been candid before.

True or not, I still love both Bulleit and Four Roses whiskey. The single barrel (although varying) could be another contender for my reference bourbon.

I have heard similar stories re bulleit being distilled by 4r, but using its own yeast. From what I've tasted I tend to agree it tastes very different.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Northern Bourbon said:

Yes and no, maybe. No doubt that majority of the bourbon stock was produced at 4R. But, they talked about something very interesting on the 8th roundtable episode of Bourbon Pursuit (the discussion starts at 29:02): Apparently Sheryl Alagna, Former Master of Whisky at Diageo wrote in a Facebook group out of Houston (bourbon group I assume) that the bourbon 4R produced for Bulleit had both a proprietary mashbill and yeast, and she is quoted saying "it does not have any Four Roses lineage whatsoever other than where it's made".

I haven't found any response from Bulleit. I doubt they'll officially respond, considering they haven't exactly been candid before.

True or not, I still love both Bulleit and Four Roses whiskey. The single barrel (although varying) could be another contender for my reference bourbon.

It depends on the timeline. Some of the early, early Bulleit came from BT. Then for a while, Bulleit was essentially 90 proof 4R Yellow Label. 4R did contract distill for a while and the yeast is a bit of a mystery as there is an E yeast that may or may not have been used depending on who you ask. 4R warehoused the barrels for Bulleit for a long time so even if there was a proprietary mashbill and yeast, the end product is still going to be very 4R like due to using 4R fermentation methods, their still (which has some unique features), and their single story warehouses. Bulleit also has standard recipe 4R (as in all ten recipes) on hand for blending purposes.

The Bulleit 10yr is 4R product.

7 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I have heard similar stories re bulleit being distilled by 4r, but using its own yeast. From what I've tasted I tend to agree it tastes very different.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The later iterations of Bulleit have all kinds of different things going because as their needs grew and the 4R stock diminished, they turned to Beam and Brown-Forman for sourcing. So current Bulleit is a blend of at least those three and maybe more.

Barton is now contract distilling for them but I don't believe any of that is aged enough yet.

After many years of bourbon consumption I have settled as my everyday pour , W.L. Weller SR. Every year at Christmas I  purchase a case for about $16.99/bottle. It's nothing fancy, but for some reason seems to grow wings and fly off most liquor store shelves.  Some years back I started collecting Elijah Craig BP releases. "Hooked" first bottle. I usually buy two . Save one, drink one. Currently sitting on releases #9 - #13.  My all time favorite, best bourbon for me, is Blanton's SB. I keep three bottles at all times. When I get to two and half bottles of Blanton's, it's hunting time.  I have and enjoy a lot of similar  bourbons mentioned and reviewed here at SB but after many years have setteled for what I like best. Cheers and enjoy your bourbons. 

Edited by Jeffery Chattanooga

1 hour ago, Jeffery Chattanooga said:

After many years of bourbon consumption I have settled as my everyday pour , W.L. Weller SR. Every year at Christmas I  purchase a case for about $16.99/bottle. It's nothing fancy, but for some reason seems to grow wings and fly off most liquor store shelves.  Some years back I started collecting Elijah Craig BP releases. "Hooked" first bottle. I usually buy two . Save one, drink one. Currently sitting on releases #9 - #13.  My all time favorite, best bourbon for me, is Blanton's SB. I keep three bottles at all times. When I get to two and half bottles of Blanton's, it's hunting time.  I have and enjoy a lot of similar  bourbons mentioned and reviewed here at SB but after many years have setteled for what I like best. Cheers and enjoy your bourbons. 

Can't argue with any of those choices.

My everyday pour reference is Wild Turkey 101 because it was the first good bourbon I ever tasted (that was back in the 60's). My top of the line references are Rock Hill Farms and Blanton's. They may not be the best out there, but they are consistently excellent.

Tim

Mine is definitely Michter's Celebration, if your everyday pour doesn't come in a decanter with actual gold lettering you are drinking trash, not to mention the bottle should always be worth more than the liquid inside, it will be with you long after the bourbon is gone. It also carry's the allure and mystery of not truly knowing where it was made, however you do get to know that it was bottled for folks who are graciously reviving a storied name from the annuls of American distilling history out of the sheer goodness of their own hearts.  

Yeah really though probably WT101, EC12 or KC9 the latter two of which I'm sure I will surely miss in the not so near future when my supplies diminish.

Edited by kevinbrink

My personal yardstick is Eagle Rare 10. I get the heavier bourbon tastes of oak and leather but they are subtle. Also get some of the lighter bourbon taste of fruit, citrus, vanilla and sweet molasses. It's the perfect mid-range in flavor and with a lighter proof (assuming 90 is light) it's very drinkable. The age also mellows the bite very well. I usually buy the handles for $50-$54 range so in todays prices it's very affordable and an easy find. PERFECT! But that's just my opinion.

Its never easy in the geekdom of bourbonia. I would say I have several references, first at the sub 15.00 level HH6 ( I know not everyone gets it but I do so its a reference for me), at the sub 30.00 level OGD114, BiB, WT101. I really love that OGD profile and WT101 has been with me for decades so one is a modern standard and the other for as long as I can remember. Lastly at the 40ish level 4R SB. Above this the profiles are so scattered that a reference isn't what I am looking for, a unique and outstandingly delicious individual profile is my goal, I don't shop much in that bracket these days :).

Mine was OFS, but the price has escalated, and the flavor profile seems to have moved just a little bit.  Given the instability of age statements, flavor profiles, proofs, prices  - I allow a lot of flexibility these days. 

Same as several above.  Blanton's is one of my favorites and my reference bourbon by which I judge all others.

On 2017-05-10 at 9:31 PM, flahute said:

It depends on the timeline. Some of the early, early Bulleit came from BT. Then for a while, Bulleit was essentially 90 proof 4R Yellow Label. 4R did contract distill for a while and the yeast is a bit of a mystery as there is an E yeast that may or may not have been used depending on who you ask. 4R warehoused the barrels for Bulleit for a long time so even if there was a proprietary mashbill and yeast, the end product is still going to be very 4R like due to using 4R fermentation methods, their still (which has some unique features), and their single story warehouses. Bulleit also has standard recipe 4R (as in all ten recipes) on hand for blending purposes.

The Bulleit 10yr is 4R product.

The later iterations of Bulleit have all kinds of different things going because as their needs grew and the 4R stock diminished, they turned to Beam and Brown-Forman for sourcing. So current Bulleit is a blend of at least those three and maybe more.

Barton is now contract distilling for them but I don't believe any of that is aged enough yet.

Very interesting, thank you!

Re: the 10yo: no wonder why I love it so much :P

No love for Makers? My reference wheater is MM, and reference rye is WT101. There are better pours out there, but these are my personal benchmarks for comparison.

1 hour ago, anyexcuse said:

No love for Makers? My reference wheater is MM, and reference rye is WT101. There are better pours out there, but these are my personal benchmarks for comparison.

What is your reference rye recipe bourbon? (Or did you mean that WT101 is your reference for rye recipe bourbons? It's not clear because there is a WT101 rye).

In the spirit of the OP's point, I wouldn't expect much love for Maker's as a wheater reference because there just aren't too many wheaters out there and with OWA available in most markets at a similar price point (or a bit more but at 107 proof), it's hard to get behind Maker's. Not that I don't like it mind you, it's just that you have four regularly available wheaters (MM,WSR,OWA, and Larceny) all at a similar age and similar price point. Not much need for a reference in that context.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but as I've posted before in the many "favorites" threads, re: favorite glass-the one in my hand; favorite bourbon-the one in my glass, etc... my reference bourbon is the one I just finished drinking. I have a pour or two of something, and then usually move on to something else. I refer or compare what I previously had, to what's currently in my glass. :unsure: Yes I know it may seem like a vicious circle, but what the hey? Bourbon is a vicious circle. Ya' know what I mean Vern? ^_^

Cheers! Joe

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:00 AM, flahute said:

What is your reference rye recipe bourbon? (Or did you mean that WT101 is your reference for rye recipe bourbons? It's not clear because there is a WT101 rye).

In the spirit of the OP's point, I wouldn't expect much love for Maker's as a wheater reference because there just aren't too many wheaters out there and with OWA available in most markets at a similar price point (or a bit more but at 107 proof), it's hard to get behind Maker's. Not that I don't like it mind you, it's just that you have four regularly available wheaters (MM,WSR,OWA, and Larceny) all at a similar age and similar price point. Not much need for a reference in that context.

Thanks, never tried the WT101 rye, just thought the regular tasted like a rye base. I guess you're right about the MM. BTW, here in MN we don't get Larceny at all for some reason (stupid). I'd like to try it.

EWBL is my primary reference point (if that don't taste right, I know I'm screwed up).  If I'm not sure, I'll move up a notch to BT.  

Blanton' s

I kind of think of my bourbon purchases in three ranges... sub $30, $30-$60, and over $60. Anything under $30 is a daily drinker/mixer. They're either drinkable or not, and at less than $30, I don't do a lot of internal price negotiating or comparisons. I'll buy these once just to try, and usually keep on hand multiples or handles of the ones I like.

At $59 in these parts, Blanton' s is right at my price point between between what I consider "High-end" sippers and "Premium" brands. Since there are several good pours that cost less than $30 I figure I'm paying a premium for anything $30-$60 so it should have an "enjoyment value" comparable to its monetary value relative to Blanton's, and bourbon priced in the $60 and up range better taste at least as good to me or better than Blanton' s (it better knock my socks off e.g., ECBP, SAOS, BTAC) or I probably won't buy it again. 

Edit:

As I was typing this, I realized my low end price moved up from about $20 to the $30 point a few years ago, and I should probably look at bumping that $60 point up to reflect current pricing trends...

Edited by JTaylor

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.