Southern Comfort will soon contain actual whiskey

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

...and will still taste awful.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'll always have a special spot for Southern Comfort as this was my drink of choice in earlier days.  But it's been a long time since I've had any SoCo.

I await anxiously to taste this expected wonder.... NOT!

I would be surprised if this got anything more than a Canadian style blended whisky for a base a bit like Fireball has. They can call it whisky but it wouldn't be a whisky that you would want to drink on its own. Well, I wouldn't want to anyway!

Gee.  I guess this means I can do a SBS with my wife's 70 proof and 100 proof of the current recipe and the new 70, 80, and 100 proof this summer.  In addition to possibly developing adult onset diabetes, I risk having to look at those five 750ml bottles for at least the next 15 years at current SC consumption rates in our house.

Thanks for the notice, Joe.

Gee.  I guess this means I can do a SBS with my wife's 70 proof and 100 proof of the current recipe and the new 70, 80, and 100 proof this summer.  In addition to possibly developing adult onset diabetes, I risk having to look at those five 750ml bottles for at least the next 15 years at current SC consumption rates in our house.

Thanks for the notice, Joe.

You will be greatly "comforted" for your efforts.

• 2 months later...

They already did that.  Kinda.  I picked up a bottle of SoCo Reserve in St. Thomas several years ago and it is blended with Bourbon.  Not sure if it had an age statement and I'm at work so I can't look right now, but I do know it was 80 proof and only sold in duty free shops.  Label is silver.  I'll look at it tomorrow and see if it has any more details on the label.

14 hours ago, Jawja Boy said:

They already did that.  Kinda.  I picked up a bottle of SoCo Reserve in St. Thomas several years ago and it is blended with Bourbon.  Not sure if it had an age statement and I'm at work so I can't look right now, but I do know it was 80 proof and only sold in duty free shops.  Label is silver.  I'll look at it tomorrow and see if it has any more details on the label.

I'd be interested in the verbatim description of the contents.  For example, "Straight bourbon whiskey with fruit flavors added" or "Spirit whiskey with fruit flavors added; caramel added for coloring only" or some such. 

EDIT - I'm asking because I have sort of watched for the new releases but haven't seen them yet.  Plenty of the old neutral spirits with stuff added, though, still out there.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Said I'd look when I got home, but it was a long night and the bed was calling my name this morning! 

Here are some pictures of the label:

20170726_141840.jpg

20170726_141946.jpg

Thank you, J. B.  That'll do.  Now, I will see how "six-year-old whisky blended with . . . Southern Comfort Liqueur" and "1 Liter Liqueur - Contains Caramel" fit under the Federal Regs re: labeling.

Yes, it is true.  I have nothing better to do with my time.

As I understood at the time, the Reserve was not sold in the US.  It was only offered in duty free shops.  Not sure if that would make any difference.

There's also a small label on the front of the bottle that I forgot to post earlier:

20170726_141903.jpg

15 minutes ago, Jawja Boy said:

As I understood at the time, the Reserve was not sold in the US.  It was only offered in duty free shops.  Not sure if that would make any difference.

There's also a small label on the front of the bottle that I forgot to post earlier:

The Reserve, according to Wiki's entry on "Southern Comfort", is only sold overseas.  The federal rules re: advertising and labeling say, in 27 CFR § 5.1, that the rules do not apply to spirits for export.  Also, I looked at the nine label applications (AKA COLAs) filed with the TTB over the past year (that is, since Sazerac bought the brand from B-F in 2016), and none of them have the language that appears on your label.  They do list Barton 1792/Saz as the distiller.  When I finish looki9ng through the other bits of the regs in an attempt to figure out just what the domestic labels are likely to disclose, I'll let you now - maybe tomorrow AM after the A/C guy leaves.  So far, it is looking like a specialty spirit, but I can't tell what amount of whiskey must be in it or what has to be disclosed, what could be disclosed, and what can't appear on the label as it might be misleading.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.