TheBrownHound
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wifey and I are taking a 3 day trip in June and are considering Louisville as a possibility   (Asheville and charleston as others,but have been to both.). 

I want to include some distillery tours but really interested in the city /area as a whole. 

Ideas/recommendations/thoughts are appreciated.   Must see distilleries/ restaurants / etc. 

I believe the Evan Williams Experience is in the Ville. I know others area much more familiar with the town

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Spent most of my life growing up in/around Louisville and now live in Asheville. Send me a message and with your questions and I will give you the ins and outs of both.

The relatively new (1 YO) Total Wine near Costco has a good selection and decent prices. (This from the guy who is accustomed to saying "TW has outstanding prices on stuff they are out of.")

If you're going to stay in Louisville proper you might consider staying at one of the classic/historic hotels, the Seelbach or the Brown. Those are both downtown and are an easily walkable distance to the riverfront, the Ali museum, plenty of good bars with nice whiskey lists, the Evan Williams Experience, the Jim Beam urban stillhouse place, etc. 4th street is the main nightlife district but the best bourbon bars are not on 4th. There are a couple other distilleries in the Louisville metro area but most of the ones people want to visit (BT, FR, HH, Willett, etc.) are more like an hour or two drive out of Louisville.

Honestly I think Maker's Mark is a great distillery to visit. You don't get access to special bottles to buy at the gift shops like you do at HH/FR/Willett but it is just beautiful where it is located, and the tour is great. As opposed to the HH experience where the distillery isn't at the heritage center. 

Plenty to see and do, enjoy

Check out Bardstown while in Louisville. It's got a real 18th century feel to it, lots of historical sights, and close to lots of bourbon distilleries.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

MapQuest said it was about 1 hour away, so you may want to consider Frankfort, KY.  Take the Buffalo Trace hardhat tour (sign up in advance)

I thought it was great.

I would stay downtown.  Brown & Seelbach are very upscale = $$$.  There are other more reasonably priced places.  Courtyard by Marriott is right across the street from the KFC YUM Center.  Downtown you have the Evan Williams Experience, Angels Envy Distillery & Jim Beam Urban Stillhouse.  You can make it to Bardstown in about 45 minutes.  Beam Distillery is right off Exit 112 on I 65 so it's only about a 30 minute drive.  Frankfort is less than an hour away (Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey).

Non bourbon things:  Ali Center, Louisville Slugger Museum and bat factory, Louisville Science Center, Speed Art Museum (on campus of University of Louisville), Derby Museum (at Churchill Downs, which will be racing while you're there, a number of historic home tours . . . 

Restaurants:  Bristol Bar & Grill (three words . . . Green Chili Won-tons); Gary's On Spring (two words . . . Lobster Bisque); North End Cafe; Dish on Market; Highland Morning (best breakfast in the Ville as far as I'm concerned); Cunningham's Creekside (awesome fish sandwich & even awesomer onion rings); Wild Eggs; Wild Rita's; BBC; Varanese; Porcini's; Troll Pub; Sidebar' Doc Crow's; Impellizeris Pizza; Bearno's Pizza and many others.  Louisville has really become a food destination.  The bar in the Galt House has a ton of different bourbons.

You'll have no problem filling three days with things to do.

39 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Non bourbon things:  Ali Center, Louisville Slugger Museum and bat factory, Louisville Science Center, Speed Art Museum (on campus of University of Louisville), Derby Museum (at Churchill Downs, which will be racing while you're there, a number of historic home tours . . . 

One of the historic home tours is the Clark family home, he of Lewis and Clark explorer fame.

I would also add Copper and Kings to the list of places, not bourbon but I can't imagine most bourbon lovers not having there socks knocked off by their Butchertown Brandy, plus they just have an interesting array of spirts in general. I really enjoyed it especially after a long week of bourbon tasting. Against the Grain brewery is pretty great if your a Beer drinker which I suspect might be the case if you have enjoyed Asheville in the past.

I am also going to be in Louisville in July and doing some distillery tours with my daughter.  She has been a vegan for almost 10 years but told me last night that she wants to get a steak in Louisville.  I know about all the upscale steak places (she won't be comfortable in any of them) but I am looking for a place with great steaks and a very laid back ambiance.  We will be staying in the east Louisville area.  Any one have some suggestions?

If any of you like bourbon and chocolate, you might want to check this place out. https://arteatables.com 

I can personally say that their bourbon chocolates are absolutely wonderful. Yes, they may be a bit pricey, but still well worth it IMHO. 

Cheers! Joe

2 hours ago, burghguy1 said:

I am also going to be in Louisville in July and doing some distillery tours with my daughter.  She has been a vegan for almost 10 years but told me last night that she wants to get a steak in Louisville.  I know about all the upscale steak places (she won't be comfortable in any of them) but I am looking for a place with great steaks and a very laid back ambiance.  We will be staying in the east Louisville area.  Any one have some suggestions?

Ruth's Chris is in E Louisville, just off the Watterson Expressway/I-64 interchange.

Edited by Paddy

2 hours ago, burghguy1 said:

Selena's at Willow Lake Tavern.  Steaks change based on what looks good to the chef so some days it might be a filet, some a strip, but whatever steak they have on the menu is awesome.  It's been a while but Del Frisco's has really good steaks.  A lot of people will tell you Pat's is good but I was not impressed.  

Then you have Ruth's, Johnny Merlot's & Jeff Ruby's, which I've not tried but their reputations precede them.

For my money I would call Selena's and see what steak they have on the menu that night.  Plus they have a decent bourbon list.  It's very laid back and it's in the east end.

On 5/16/2017 at 5:18 PM, burghguy1 said:

I really enjoyed Del Frisco's for steak when in town for bourbon trail / bachelor party. Old school service. Great steaks. It's on Oechsli Ave.

On May 18, 2017 at 1:48 AM, The Alchemist said:

I really enjoyed Del Frisco's for steak when in town for bourbon trail / bachelor party. Old school service. Great steaks. It's on Oechsli Ave.

I looked them up on their website and it looks like just the sort of place she would like, and it is close to our hotel.  Thank you very much.

16 hours ago, burghguy1 said:

I looked them up on their website and it looks like just the sort of place she would like, and it is close to our hotel.  Thank you very much.

You're gonna regret not going to Selena's. :)

On May 26, 2017 at 10:14 AM, CardsandBourbon said:

You're gonna regret not going to Selena's. :)

Okay, I will give it a second look.  Thanks.

It's been almost 25 years since my last trip to Louisville, but Pat's Steakhouse was awesome.

3 hours ago, BDanner said:

It's been almost 25 years since my last trip to Louisville, but Pat's Steakhouse was awesome.

Last time my wife and I went to Pat's the service was awesome but the steak, although very tender was otherwise disappointing.  Just didn't seem to have much flavor at all.  Don't know why because Pat's used to be THE place to go for a steak in the Ville.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.