Four Roses Single Barrel Poor Consistency?

paradoxical3
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/15/2017 at 9:12 PM, paradoxical3 said:

Not proprietary, but also not public knowledge. 

I've given more detail in other threads but don't want to repeat myself.

Jim had the ability to push back and to determine that certain barrels didn't meet the standards of the program. He could put his foot down. I'm not sure if the same stringent standards are still possible. 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:58 AM, flahute said:

Not proprietary, but also not public knowledge. 

I've given more detail in other threads but don't want to repeat myself.

Jim had the ability to push back and to determine that certain barrels didn't meet the standards of the program. He could put his foot down. I'm not sure if the same stringent standards are still possible. 

I suspect they aren't possible...

^^^I agree, it isn't.  Corporately, they've obviously made a decision to move product out in order to keep it on the shelves.  My personal opinion is that 'that' decision occurred similarly, about the same time that JR abruptly retired. 

But, what do I know?:)

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

^^^I agree, it isn't.  Corporately, they've obviously made a decision to move product out in order to keep it on the shelves.  My personal opinion is that 'that' decision occurred similarly, about the same time that JR abruptly retired. 

But, what do I know?:)

Our noses know, and so do our tastebuds.  Just saying.

Also, this thread got me thinking - While 4R BS/SP releases in my area still get me out of my chair (or get me off an interstate when traveling) so I can pick them up, I just realized it's been at least a year since I bought a basic 4RSiB and at least two since I bought a 4RSmB.  They just stopped making me happy so I've switched my 4R consumption exclusively to the SPs.

I can't remember if he wrote it here on SB, or if it was in a discussion at the GN during a years ago Sampler/KBF, but Chuck Cowdery had a bead on the situation at 4R at that time.  The gist of it as I remember was that after all of the investment that Kirin had put into Four Roses to bring it back to respectability (and the investment was substantial), they were going to be looking for a return on that investment...soon.  They had pretty much handed an open checkbook to JR to get things in order, and let him have free rein over much of the processes needed to achieve this.  

There comes a payback time...that time appears to have come.

But still, it's not like the whiskey sucks now.  It just might not be to the ultra high standards it was.  I am confident that the tangible and intangible assets that JR left behind will (or at least, should) bear better fruit for years to come.

I have noticed a decline as well in the 4RSiB . I had a few archive samples and compared them to some newer bottles, and they were much different. This used to be my favorite bourbon. saos has replaced it, and now I just hope my stash of saos will last until the 4R quality improves back to normal.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

After reading this thread, I opened one of my "hot" bottles of 4RSiB that I have been challenged to enjoy in the past. I tried it after I had a nice 12yo OBSF, so there is that, but I tasted a lot of the traditional 4R goodness. It wasn't as easy to taste as it normally was, but most of the things I typically enjoy were there. Just not as evident or powerful as I'm used to.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.