Maker's Mark Mile April 9, 2004

pepcycle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know that many shun the MM, but the Maker's Mile at Keeneland is a great way to spend the day at one of Kentucky's most beautiful thoroughbred venues. Throw in a Kentucky Horse Park party and Saturday tours and dipping at the distillery and you've got a great weekend. Check out the members only site. If you're not a member, join. Its free. You don't have to drink MM to enjoy the fun. Anyone up for a Straightbourbon.com contingent to meet and party that day?

toast.gifAmbassador Site or Maker's Mark Site

PS If you get to the Maker's Mile reservation page, check out the pictures from the 2003 event. You might recognize some participants.

I've already RSVP'ed for both the race and Saturday event. I only did Makers on Saturday last year, and enjoyed it immensely. The year-old bourbon sampling was a revelation -- no white dog there, even after just a year in wood! Would be glad to be able to put faces and voices to fellow SB.com'ers who also attend. Any chance of a get-together? I'll bring a couple of Hirsch 16yo's and some original Michter's.

Well, Let's settle it now with a 9AM Brunch on Friday, at the Pepcycle Ranch. If the weather permits, the Deck should be pretty pleasant. Otherwise, Indoors it is. I'm about 5 minutes from Keeneland. Any other takers?

Jeff? Marvin? Brenda? Mike V? Bettye Jo? Bobby?

cool.gif

I need a little arm twisting, But you don't have to break it off! lol.gif

Sounds like a good time, unless something unusual comes up, save me a chair near the food!

Sounds like a great time grin.gifgrin.gif I'll go in, and try to post the night off. I wish it were on Saturday instead of Friday.

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Sounds like a winner to me toast.gif I just need to get the day off, but that shouldn't be a problem.

To All,

If you're an ambassador and plan on attending, please RSVP for the maximum of four people (yourself and 3 guests). This way we can spread the wealth betwixt us all. (Free program and a pin at the track). Wear red, you might win Bill Samuels tickets to the Oaks!!

toast.gif

Hey Ed,

Count me in! I've been trying to get to Lexington since Christmas. This will be perfect!

Can't wait to see everyone. Ya'll pm me, and let me know what I can bring to help with brunch.

Bj

Dale Here ... (Bourbon Festival wearing a kilt) i would like to attend your event. Please provide details if you do not mind a MM drinker.

thanks for the party! Jo and I will try to come!

I assume Keeneland is open to the public, too, that day. We've not been to Keeneland in a couple of years and as much as I love Churchill I must admit Keeneland is beautiful and a great experience. During this time of the year when I wonder why I don't live on the beach in the south I can think of horseracing and bourbon as one reason!

Greg

I just RSVP'ed for 3 guests, one of which is Leslie of course. So I have two spots for anyone who wishes to remain in the closet on their love of Maker's Mark lol.gif

Hey Ed,

What kind of party is it at the Horse Park Friday evening? Will we be able to see our barrels on Saturday?

post-134-14489811389889_thumb.jpg

Jeff,

The Horse Park thing is a first, so I don't know what the agenda is. I'll drop a line to Emily at MM and see if she can fill us in. I'm assuming cash bar, snack foods and some form of musical entertainment.

On Saturday, they bring out about ten barrels with the placques on them. Last year, mine was one of them. I got to me a few barrel-mates. I asked about other barrels and they said they're buried in the warehouses and generally inacessible.

• 2 weeks later...

The Breakfast at Ed and Patty's is still on. I've decided to add some excitement to the gathering. Two Contests.

1. Best use of Maker's in a Brunch Cocktail.

2. Best use of Maker's in a Brunch Recipe.

If the moon and stars align correctly, I will have a goody box of Maker's gifts to share as prizes. Judging will be by ballot. There must be at least three entrants in each category. You must provide the recipes (Which I will collate into a recipe book to share) and be willing have your picture shared. In addition, everyone attending must wear something RED.

I will supply Maker's for Cocktails. If you're competing in the cocktail event, you need to bring your own "other" ingredients. Otherwise, its BYOB and a brunch dish to share.

You may enter on the day of the event.

Cocktails should be original or modifications of a standard cocktail and a catchy name is always Kewl.

Maker's Mocha Monkey?????????

toast.gif

toast.gif

All invited. PM me, if you plan to attend.

post-51-14489811418011_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Ed,

I think I'm going to try to do this Friday morning. Seattle Slew bottle signing

After all the stickpoke.gif I give MM about special bottlings, Mr. Samuels has finally bottled one I'd love to have... rolleyes.gif

I can't believe I'm doing this... lol.gif But I loved Seattle Slew.

Also, as it turns out, one my friend's horses will be at Keeneland on Friday. The horse won't be running, just breezing in the very early morning. So we'll be there for that too. We plan be at your house as quickly as we can get out of the signing.

Because we'll be up so early, I'm thinking we'll just skip the evening party and drive back to Bardstown on Friday night. That will leave 4 tickets if anyone needs them.

We're gonna have some fun!

Bj

I'm going to try and be at the signing also.

I have to get back in time to get the food on.

See ya there.

Ed toast.gif

I would like to be the first to thank Ed and Patty for their hospitality on Friday morning. Leslie and I had a great time, and it would seem that all others in attendance did as well toast.gif Lots of good food and the Maker's flowed quite freely. We had a fun morning meeting lots of new people.The lone entry in the breakfast drink competition was called "Just Peachy". I don't know exactly what was in it, but I would guess orange juice blended with peaches and Maker's Mark. It was a wonderful breakfast/brunch drink. There were two bread puddings with different bourbon sauces, and Brenda's bourbon jelly was also a hit laugh.gif Also making their first SB.com appearances were Tim (TNbourbon) and Dale (Neotexan) toast.gif

After three enjoyable hours at the Phalens' everyone headed to Keenland for the 16th running of the Maker's Mark Mile. Most of us were up in section F of the grandstand seating. Leslie and I did OK for the day, especially picking the 3 horse to show in the 9th. Here's Jeff's betting tip for the day: A longshot to show will pay a lot more than a favorite to win. Worked all day long cool.gif

Last night finished up with a Maker's Mark party at the KY Horse Park. Lot's of people, live music, free food, free glasses and cheap drinks. The only drawback was that it was held in a couple of really big tents and the evening turned out to be a bit chilly. As luck would have it Leslie and I won a raffle drawing. This is funnier than it sounds as the poor guy calling off the raffle numbers had to go through about 15 numbers before he found one that someone had, or knew they had. Anyway it is a nice framed MM poster. On my way back to my seat I was offered $50 for it, but I decided to keep it, much to my wife's dismay lol.gif

Later today Leslie and I are headed to Loretto for another Maker's event at the distillery. They are going to open up some 2yo barrels and let us sample the aging whisky. They are also letting us wax a commemorative bottle on the production line, which will be kinda neat.

So thanks again to Ed and Patty for opening up their beautiful home for a wonderful time, and to everyone we met yesterday that were so friendly! toast.gif

Let me echo Jeff's thanks to Ed and Patty for providing a wonderful setting -- complete with backyard view of a horse farm -- and warm welcome before the Keeneland events Friday. Though I am not a facile social mixer, I felt altogether welcome, and appreciated the chance to enjoy the later races with acquaintances, since I was otherwise traveling alone. It was a pleasure to meet fellow SB.com'ers Ed, Jeff and Dale (and 'shout out' by telephone to Omar in Florida).

Like Jeff, I decided to bet "show" on all but one of my races, except for successfully "boxing" an exacta in the sixth race. I wound up winning something on 5 of 6 races and doubling my money for the day -- big spender that I am, that means I turned my $14 bet into $28.80. Oh, well, it paid for admission and lunch.

Having decided to skip Saturday's MM event because of messy weather conditions predicted, I left after the sixth race and headed back to Tennessee. I checked the results for the last four Keeneland races online when I got home and discovered not a single one of my remaining 'touts' finished in the money, so I guess it's a good thing I left when I did.

Again, Ed and Patty, thanks for a very enjoyable day.

My wife and I also would add to the thanks to Ed and Patty. It was a great time and we met some ggreat new friends. As we sit here in our hotel room on the way back home, we can not help ourselves talking about the wonderful people we come across at ANY bourbon event.(must be the libations or perhaps good people know great drink)

If ANYONEreading this string would like a taste treat, just make any of the recipes from Ed's little get together. Emily and I highly recomend the Bourbon Jelly. It was a taste treat over the feather light biscuits and Emily has been coming up with other combos. (as a glaze over ham, with lamb, with cream cheese on the biscuit) She has already decided she is giving it out as a Xmas gift this year.

Again, a BIG thanks to Ed, his lovely wife, daughter and son-in-law for a great time. We will meet up again in September.

Dale

You're all quite welcome. It was our pleasure to host and we'll do it again. Dale has agreed to send his digital photos and I'll be collating the recipes and posting them. A big thanks to MM for supplying some give-aways. I was impressed with the food. One big advantage of hosting is getting to pour over the leftovers for a few days. What a great group of folks!!!! Thanks to SB.com for being the catalyst.

toast.gif

Ed,

Sorry to be so long saying it, THANKS sooooo much! Ya'll put together a beautiful table and it was surrounded by a bunch of great folks! Wish I had taken a picture of your motorcycle... lol.gif.

We had a really nice day! Wish we had gotten to spend more time with ya'll at the track...Chuck was chasing his trainer and we thought there was no smoking in 'F' for a long time...crazy.gif

Thank you so much (especially to The Patty, who put that all together while packing for vacation... lol.gif) for having us all together. It was great to meet everyone, and Patty's tattoo rocks! wink.gif

Happy Easter Ya'll!

Bj

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.