Jump to content

Current Lot 40 thoughts?


BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

BottledInBond

Does anyone have feedback on the more recent Lot 40 bottlings? I get stuck in ruts sometimes and have neglected to try any of the post-2012 batch stuff. Just wondering if the quality is still similar or if has fallen off after the 2012. 

 

Thanks in advance for any input 

Link to post
Share on other sites
IncredulousNosco

I had just miked the end of my final 2012 bottle the night before when I saw my first bottle of the new release last year. Both the old lady and I thought the new bottle was slightly better than the old. The new one has a little less of the mild dill background and it cranks up the confectionary and wood notes slightly. Oddly,  it is slightly reminiscent of Collingwood 21 for some reason.

 

And the best part is the price. The old one was what? $55 or $60 range? I consistently see the new bottle for $29.99. And I was at the Canada side duty free last week...I ended up relieving them of their final two bottles for a total of $48.83!

 

With these two, that'll be 6 bottles of the new release that I've picked up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond
3 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

I had just miked the end of my final 2012 bottle the night before when I saw my first bottle of the new release last year. Both the old lady and I thought the new bottle was slightly better than the old. The new one has a little less of the mild dill background and it cranks up the confectionary and wood notes slightly. Oddly,  it is slightly reminiscent of Collingwood 21 for some reason.

 

And the best part is the price. The old one was what? $55 or $60 range? I consistently see the new bottle for $29.99. And I was at the Canada side duty free last week...I ended up relieving them of their final two bottles for a total of $48.83!

 

With these two, that'll be 6 bottles of the new release that I've picked up.

Good to hear. After people generally liked the 2012 batch, I was fearing a letdown with the new stuff. It especially puzzled me when I saw the lower price in our current environment as you referenced. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bunkered up on the '12 batch, so I've yet to purchase/try a current release.  However, I agree...it is most refreshing to see the lower pricing on the newer batches! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just recently purchased a bottle of Lot 40. How do I tell if it is 2012 or later?

 

Thanks, Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond
2 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

I just recently purchased a bottle of Lot 40. How do I tell if it is 2012 or later?

 

Thanks, Jim

It is fairly prominently shown if it was the 2012. Interestingly, I stopped at a store today and they still had 2012 bottles, for $60.

IMG_0290.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
IncredulousNosco

I suppose if I saw a 2012, I'd still pick it up for $60, even though I can get the current release, which I prefer, for under $30. I'd love to sbs the new and mid-bottle pours from each batch.

 

Oddly, my Canadian purchased batch looks slightly different too. Not surprising that it has some French language writing, but there is also a bit of green on the label which the US release doesn't have. I'm wondering if I'll find the batch slightly different? I'm getting ready to move across country, so I can't break that bottle open yet!

 

Here's a bottle sbsbs. L to R: 2012 release, current US release, current CA release: 

 

 

20170612_041632.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one bottle of the current US release that I bought in WA. And I have one bottle of the current CA release that I just bought in AZ. Strange? How would a CA release find it's way to AZ? 

Anyway, the US release is the best Canadian whiskey I have ever had. I find Canadian whiskey to be bland with very little flavor. But, this Lot 40 is really very good  rye.

 

Regards, Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

I have one bottle of the current US release that I bought in WA. And I have one bottle of the current CA release that I just bought in AZ. Strange? How would a CA release find it's way to AZ? 

Anyway, the US release is the best Canadian whiskey I have ever had. I find Canadian whiskey to be bland with very little flavor. But, this Lot 40 is really very good  rye.

 

Regards, Jim

 

Interesting that your bottle has the green label but was purchased in the US and says "Canadian Rye Whiskey" while the one purchased in Canada also has a green label but leaves the "Canadian" part off. For obvious reasons of course!

 

There was the original bottle of Lot 40 that came out before the 2012 batch that as best I remember looked like the middle bottle above. Maybe the current US release is the green label bottle?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed the difference between the CA green label release and my US purchased  green label bottle. So, maybe the green label with the "Canadian Rye Whiskey" is the latest US release version. Since most US rye has green somewhere on the label, this could be an attempt to be consistent with the US market.

 

Regards, Jim   

Link to post
Share on other sites
IncredulousNosco

I can assure all that the middle bottle is the US release, the the rightmost bottle is the CA release. Other than the fact that I recall where I bought them, you can see the French writing on the CA label:

 

A closer look:

https://goo.gl/photos/313k4XwUKR4djmYB7

 

 

 

20170612_041632.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

I can assure all that the middle bottle is the US release, the the rightmost bottle is the CA release. Other than the fact that I recall where I bought them, you can see the French writing on the CA label:

 

A closer look:

https://goo.gl/photos/313k4XwUKR4djmYB7

 

 

 

20170612_041632.jpg

 

Don't doubt for a moment that your bottle is the Canadian sourced bottle. It not only has the French text but it doesn't say "Canadian" in the green portion of the label.

 

But the one hawkeye posted in another thread seems to clearly be a recent American release (no second paragraph with French text that I can see and says "Canadian" in the green part of the label) and it seems reasonable to think that is the new label of the most recent release in the US.

 

593f02e5addfc_Lot40rye.thumb.jpg.7a2693b1d0751a424ad8eca6ed08b967.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
IncredulousNosco

Yeah, that's odd. My local store has been getting the middle bottle on the reg' for about 6 months now, and it always looks just like the middle bottle in my photo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
IncredulousNosco

Whatever though! It's a damned fine whisky at an absurdly good price!

 

Along with HVSRW, Lot 40  is currently the best value available in rye. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, here are some pics of a first edition Lot 40 from sometime between late 90s and early 2000's when it was discontinued.  Not much change as can be seen, just a different description under the big LOT 40, and different story in the brown box.  

 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a SBS with my older bottle of Lot 40, the one without any green on the label, and the new bottle with the green label. The green label seemed to have a slightly more intense flavor. But, the old stuff had about 2 inches in the bottle and the new bottle was full. So, the slight difference in flavor may just have been the difference in open bottle age.

 

Regards, Jim 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.