Elijah Craig with red 12 on front

birdie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All,

Came across a bunch of these sitting on the shelf in a small liquor store attached to a gas station in east CO, was out for a motor bike ride, first of the Summer. Stopped for gas and for the hell of it went into the liquor store, and there were 6 bottles with the big red 12, I think the price was around $40. All the ride home I was thinking "you should have grabbed a couple" as I have not seen these in CO in over a year.

In years to come will bottles with the big red 12 be the ones I wish I had grabbed, or just not bother.

34 minutes ago, birdie said:

In years to come will bottles with the big red 12 be the ones I wish I had grabbed, or just not bother.

Should've grabbed a couple. But I do commend you for not talking about cleaning out the store as some are apt to brag about here. :D

Sorry all, I just realized I posted the same question back in October, my apologies, and based on those replies I will head back and grab a couple.

11 minutes ago, birdie said:

Sorry all, I just realized I posted the same question back in October, my apologies, and based on those replies I will head back and grab a couple.

Don't bother unless you're already heading out there. They are most likely in someone elses bunker by now. 

You are probably right, I dont get that mentality with regards to shelf clearing, how much bourbon can you drink in a life time, I probably am already at that point unless I make it to 90 :D

Maybe its just distribution in CO because when I see pictures from people that show they picked up multiple of LE XXXX, I think how in hell do they do that, it must be a full time job for some people.

Anyway its a nice ride in the countryside so maybe I will get lucky.

$40 is a bit steep (at least around here) for a 750 of EC.  However, they aren't making any more of those with the big red 12 on them! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Took a ride back this morning, all gone, owner said two guys came in and took all 6, I am trying hard when I buy something to not be greedy and leave something on the shelf for others, but I must admit I am getting tempted to next time I luck out on product a little rare or different to not do the same.

If I had done that a year ago when I found a multiple of bottles of Weller 12 and Weller 107 on a shelf I would not be trying to find more now.

This shelf clearing sucks.

Anyone who wanted to stock up on 12 year age stated Elijah Craig had lots of warning to do so - more so the further away they lived from Kentucky (where the changes happen much sooner).

It's been more than a year since the removal. If I came across 6 of the age stated bottles still sitting there somewhere, I'd have no problem buying them.

Birdie that stinks. I wonder if you find any of the bottles with the age statement on the back? They are somewhat common here. I'm wondering if there comparable to the ones with age statement on the front? My guess is no and probably why they decided to drop the age statement and instead go with potentially younger but better tasting bottles.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:33 PM, DCFan said:

But I do commend you for not talking about cleaning out the store as some are apt to brag about here. :D

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, birdie said:

You are probably right, I dont get that mentality with regards to shelf clearing

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, flahute said:

Anyone who wanted to stock up on 12 year age stated Elijah Craig had lots of warning to do so - more so the further away they lived from Kentucky (where the changes happen much sooner).

It's been more than a year since the removal. If I came across 6 of the age stated bottles still sitting there somewhere, I'd have no problem buying them.

I think there's an important distinction that needs to be made about shelf clearing, and it's about there being a difference between new available products (like LE's and hard to find bottles such as ECBP) versus old inventory that have been sitting on shelves collecting dust.  I agree with flahute on this and I would have no problem buying all of those.  You're actually also doing that store owner a favor by moving inventory and freeing up cash flow for something he/she really needs to move. 

Not sure I would clear a shelf, but for sure next time I find XXXX on a shelf I am taking more than one bottle, especially as any kind of "find" is getting harder and harder to actually find.

My guess is whoever cleared them knew they were there some time before you found them, and were planning to gradually pluck them off over time.  Then, they read about your discovery here, put 2 and 2 together and figured they best get a move on, lest you take them out from beneath their noses...

There is a lesson here to be learned...

Edited by smokinjoe

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

I think there's an important distinction that needs to be made about shelf clearing, and it's about there being a difference between new available products (like LE's and hard to find bottles such as ECBP) versus old inventory that have been sitting on shelves collecting dust.  I agree with flahute on this and I would have no problem buying all of those.  You're actually also doing that store owner a favor by moving inventory and freeing up cash flow for something he/she really needs to move. 

How many different bourbons do you have in your house?  I've got 14.  If BT or Blanton's suddenly changed it up, my faves, I'm not freaking out and going on a nationwide lookout for the old stock because there are a gazillion other bourbons to take their places. A couple yes. The whole shelf is just selfish. Thanks for the tasty memories BT but it's on to the next new love in the LS. The bourbon expedition is a never ending journey. ;)

How many different bourbons do you have in your house?  I've got 14.

I have 52 different bourbons, multiples on most of those.

22 minutes ago, Thig said:

I have 52 different bourbons, multiples on most of those.

No doubt I'm on the light side when it comes to this board but my point is that there are too many alternatives to try and imitate the Hunt Brothers and corner the market on a specific bourbon. End of lecture. :)

No doubt I'm on the light side when it comes to this board but my point is that there are too many alternatives to try and imitate the Hunt Brothers and corner the market on a specific bourbon. End of lecture. [emoji4]

I agree totally, my variety is proof there is plenty out there.

7 hours ago, DCFan said:

How many different bourbons do you have in your house?  I've got 14.  If BT or Blanton's suddenly changed it up, my faves, I'm not freaking out and going on a nationwide lookout for the old stock because there are a gazillion other bourbons to take their places. A couple yes. The whole shelf is just selfish. Thanks for the tasty memories BT but it's on to the next new love in the LS. The bourbon expedition is a never ending journey. ;)

I don't know how many different ones I've got but it's a lot.  The OP mentioned 6 bottles and I don't believe that's excessive if he really likes it, do you?

Also I didn't notice anybody advocating "freaking out and going on a nationwide lookout."  The OP was traveling locally.  I don't consider that unusual at all.

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Also I didn't notice anybody advocating "freaking out and going on a nationwide lookout."  The OP was traveling locally.  I don't consider that unusual at all.

Those were my words, no one elses.

Correct, it was just a local ride in the CO countryside, stopped for gas, liqour store was attached.

But good advice from JOE, I should grab what I want first then tell others, as I am learning there are people out here in CO with disposable income and time who pretty much "hunt" all day long. 

I've learned the hard way that the time to buy it is when you see it when you're dealing with discontinued selections or "dusties". And if it's a bourbon that I know I enjoy such as EC12 then I don't think twice about buying as many as I can afford to pick up or as many as I'd like to stock up in the bunker. Yes there are many, many good bourbons on the market and you can always stock the bar with a well priced tasty selection, but those selections aren't the same as the discontinued bourbon sitting on the shelf in front of you. If it's a bourbon you really like and you have the money why not acquire a few for your (and your family & friends) future enjoyment.

I agree with the sentiment that clearing the shelf of dusties is entirely fair play, I myself cleared the shelf of 375's of WT Old no 8 from 1996 a month ago from a place in upstate NY, I was there again this weekend and there were two more on the shelf, and I bought those as well. The woman at the store asked me why I wasn't buying the new bottles like everyone else, I told her that I like the older stuff better and she thanked me for taking them.

I tend to agree with the notion that there's plenty of great bourbon on the market to enjoy. So why do I stock up on what I enjoy if I hear it's being discontinued? Because I've learned that the status quo today is not guaranteed to be the status quo of tomorrow. If EC12 is one my all time favorite bourbons (and it is), and it's been discontinued for more than a year and I come across 6 in an out of the way place, and it still costs less than $30, why yes, I will gladly take them. I'm not going to hunt for them but if they fall in my lap they are coming home with me. I don't know for certain what's going to be on the shelves three years from now. I do know that the EC12 in front of me is going to be great though.

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I agree with the sentiment that clearing the shelf of dusties is entirely fair play, I myself cleared the shelf of 375's of WT Old no 8 from 1996 a month ago from a place in upstate NY, I was there again this weekend and there were two more on the shelf, and I bought those as well. The woman at the store asked me why I wasn't buying the new bottles like everyone else, I told her that I like the older stuff better and she thanked me for taking them.

Did you ask her if they had any more in the back or do you like driving to upstate NY? :P

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Did you ask her if they had any more in the back or do you like driving to upstate NY? :P

Ouch - that's harsh!   :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.