Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 4

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Im still new to this whole bourbon thing so here are my humble beginnings. I'm also poor so I don't have alot of the real good stuff...yet.

15025113687721616396480.jpg

On 7/7/2017 at 11:10 AM, JTaylor said:

Does everyone have a Willet Pot Still with about two pours out of it?? I know I do!

Truth though I had to power through due to the fact that the bottle was taking up two bottles worth of real estate. 

On 8/12/2017 at 6:52 AM, Mako254 said:

Truth though I had to power through due to the fact that the bottle was taking up two bottles worth of real estate. 

This is one reason why I don't open WPS and OFBB.

On 8/11/2017 at 11:19 PM, Jfletchgu said:

Im still new to this whole bourbon thing so here are my humble beginnings. I'm also poor so I don't have alot of the real good stuff...yet.

15025113687721616396480.jpg

I'll come drink some Very Old Barton with you any time!

:)

On 8/12/2017 at 5:52 AM, Mako254 said:

14 hours ago, Enoch said:

This is one reason why I don't open WPS and OFBB.

Ha, try having a 1.75 to deal with.  I could literally fit 4 eagle rares or SAOS in that space.

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Ha, try having a 1.75 to deal with.  I could literally fit 4 eagle rares or SAOS in that space.

I've got a full 1.75L WPS sitting on the bar. Finally finished the 750. I don't find anything particularly wrong with it. I enjoy it fine.  Better than most of the stuff Willett has distilled themselves. 

31 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I've got a full 1.75L WPS sitting on the bar. Finally finished the 750. I don't find anything particularly wrong with it. I enjoy it fine.  Better than most of the stuff Willett has distilled themselves. 

I have the 750ml and I find it to be fine as well.  It seems to get a bad rap on here.  I think the pretentiousness of the bottle rubs some of bourbon intelligentsia on here the wrong way.

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

I have the 750ml and I find it to be fine as well.  It seems to get a bad rap on here.  I think the pretentiousness of the bottle rubs some of bourbon intelligentsia on here the wrong way.

IDK... At least in my case, I think the bottle is pretty cool (aside from the shelf space it takes up) and might make a nice lamp. I don't find anything necessarily wrong with it either... Kinda like Woodford to me... tastes just fine, but just not something that ever jumps out and grabs me when I'm standing in front of the bar trying to decide what to pour. 

On 8/13/2017 at 11:06 PM, Clueby said:

On 8/14/2017 at 9:21 AM, JTaylor said:

IDK... At least in my case, I think the bottle is pretty cool (aside from the shelf space it takes up) and might make a nice lamp. I don't find anything necessarily wrong with it either... Kinda like Woodford to me... tastes just fine, but just not something that ever jumps out and grabs me when I'm standing in front of the bar trying to decide what to pour. 

On 8/13/2017 at 11:39 PM, Kepler said:

I actually have no problems with the whiskey.  I would say that I enjoy WPS.

I was just saying that the bottles do occupy a lot of real estate, which has become premium around here.

On 8/14/2017 at 0:39 AM, Kepler said:

It gets a bad rap because it's been a "moving target" over the last decade. The early ones were great, then all of a sudden you'd buy one and it would be awful. It was a real roll of the dice and for a while there many of us came up snake eyes several times in a row.

I have no doubt that the odd WPS is still good. But it's a bit of a lottery and I've lost one too many times.

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

It gets a bad rap because it's been a "moving target" over the last decade. The early ones were great, then all of a sudden you'd buy one and it would be awful. It was a real roll of the dice and for a while there many of us came up snake eyes several times in a row.

I have no doubt that the odd WPS is still good. But it's a bit of a lottery and I've lost one too many times.

This is my stance as well. I'm a Willett fan overall and will still drop the coin for the age stated WFE bottles (just bought a 14yr old back in June), but my experience with the KBD brand bottles has been way more miss lately than hit so I've given up. Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, Johnny Drum, Old Bardstown (pre Willett distilled), and the rest......they've all been letdowns. It's how it goes with sourced bourbon when the sources get more expensive and more stretched out and younger. I'm looking forward to the day when Willett can provide majority self distilled whiskey for all of their brands.

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

I actually have no problems with the whiskey.  I would say that I enjoy WPS.

I was just saying that the bottles do occupy a lot of real estate, which has become premium around here.

Yeah understand, I wasn't referring to you necessarily.  I wasn't really referring to anyone in particular, just seems like it's one of those sku's that is an easy target. I dunno, maybe expectations are to higher for this one because of the bottle.  Some folks resisted Blanton's because of the fancy bottle.  Our sense of taste is influenced by other factors more than most of us would like to admit, including me.  

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

1 hour ago, flahute said:

This is my stance as well. I'm a Willett fan overall and will still drop the coin for the age stated WFE bottles (just bought a 14yr old back in June), but my experience with the KBD brand bottles has been way more miss lately than hit so I've given up. Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, Johnny Drum, Old Bardstown (pre Willett distilled), and the rest......they've all been letdowns. It's how it goes with sourced bourbon when the sources get more expensive and more stretched out and younger. I'm looking forward to the day when Willett can provide majority self distilled whiskey for all of their brands.

Sounds like you've both tried more bottles of it than I have.  I've tasted from only a few WPS bottles and they have all been the older releases when it was a single barrel.  I have a few unopened ones on hand and they are also the SiB.  I have no experience with the newer small batch variety, and appreciate your own experiences that the brand is inconsistent and produces it's fair share of sub-par bottles.  There still seems to be a little bit of bias on this site against the pot still SKU (and also the Rowan's Creek & Noah's Mill) that I suspect is as much to do with their packaging and marketing verbiage as the actual taste.  I could be wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time 

^^  Hmm, maybe a better way of describing WPS is that the  taste doesn't live up to the packaging.  That makes sense

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

^^  Hmm, maybe a better way of describing WPS is that the  taste doesn't live up to the packaging.  That makes sense

My "bullsh*t filter" turns on now if I sense the packaging and marketing is too fancy and elaborate and is more likely just making up for the lackluster juice. As we've all seen, it isn't hard to do that once you've been burned a few times.

Of course, that hasn't stopped me from buying the occasional mediocre bottle, but at least I know I'm probably wasting my money in the forlorn hope of finding something new that's decent.  

Edited by BourbonDude

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Lots of four roses, heaven hill, and BT single barrels. 

IMG_2764.JPG

Very nice! With such an impressive lineup, do you have a favorite or two?

3 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

Very nice! With such an impressive lineup, do you have a favorite or two?

I'm working on getting all 10 four roses private barrels and their standard single barrwl is a go to. Evan williams single barrel is a daily pour, they are in the back but I have managed to scrounge 05 06 07 08 and 09 (available now) vintages. 

I treat my self to a pour or two of Elijah Craig BP517 once a week. Gotta ration it though. 

Thanks for the compliment. 

11 hours ago, flahute said:

I found the same thing with Noah's Mill... Loved the first one I bought several years ago so of course I bought back-ups. None of the back ups cleared the bar set by that first bottle. They're not bad, and my palate has certainly evolved since then, but I've had an un-opened bottle in the bunker for a couple years now... 

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

Stash just got a little sweeter

IMG_2781.JPG

Nice find.  That's one bottle I'd like to get my hands on.

3 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Nice find.  That's one bottle I'd like to get my hands on.

You mean lips.... ?

:P

On 8/18/2017 at 0:37 AM, flahute said:

Ahh. That explains why I haven't been impressed by the Willets I've tried recently. They were reasonably smooth, just no great flavor or character, and I'm the sort of bourbon drinker who's willing to sacrifice smoothness and elegance for flavor and intensity.

The wife and I are doing some house cleaning and organizing, so I had to pull a bunch of bottles out of hiding for the first time in quite a while. Not on par with many of the crazy bunkers seen on this site but this represents most of my sealed bottles currently

IMG_2089.JPG

7 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

The wife and I are doing some house cleaning and organizing, so I had to pull a bunch of bottles out of hiding for the first time in quite a while. Not on par with many of the crazy bunkers seen on this site but this represents most of my sealed bottles currently

I'm guessing that the bench they are sitting on/around opens up.  You have more in there??????

FWIW, I think you can count yourself in the upper ranks of bourbon squirrels.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.