Advice

bourbonchef1189
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The wife and I are headed to Bardstown July 10-15. I know no one is making Bourbon, but it's the only time we could get away. We are staying at one of the cottages downtown. Any bars that offer a decent selection of beer? I'm an IPA guy. The hoppier the better. Also food choices. I have read the reviews on trip advisor and Yelp, but would like to hear everyone's opinion.

Thanks

I can't help with food choices, as I must adhere to a pretty restrictive diet myself; but, I'll recommend Kurtz's Restaurant for generally good Southern food, decent prices, and outstanding Southern Hospitality.     (The same dietary requirement denies me ordinary beers and ales, so no help for you there either.)

I wouldn't be too sure about nobody distilling.    In the bygone years there was a general expectation of a nice Summer break for the distilleries.    Nowadays, some (all?) may well run right through the Summer, just to keep pace with demand for Bourbon going into the warehouses.    Such is the result of the skyrocketing demand for America's Native Spirit.

There is a beer bar right downtown.  I can't remember the name, but it has several crafts on tap.  Just North of the court house.  

Mammy's, Kurtz's, el jimador, and the gas station behind the General Nelson (great sammies...Im serious!) for good eats.  Mammy's has new location with really nice outdoor seating.

Enjoy your time in the Motherland.

21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

There is a beer bar right downtown.  I can't remember the name, but it has several crafts on tap.  Just North of the court house.  

Mammy's, Kurtz's, el jimador, and the gas station behind the General Nelson (great sammies...Im serious!) for good eats.  Mammy's has new location with really nice outdoor seating.

Enjoy your time in the Motherland.

The beer bar Joe mentioned is the 3rd Street Tap House in Bardstown. We checked it out last time we were in B-Town and it was a great little place. They have a good selection with several KY brews. Definitely recommended. And, you can't go wrong with any of those restaurant recommendations. Hope you guys have a great time!

In addition to everything mentioned above, Kreso's gets good marks for food.

For beer, I don't know what the local places will have, but if they anything from Mad Tree or Rhinegeist (Cincinnati breweries), you will like their IPA's.

If you go to Kurtz's Restaurant, you might run into the namesake for Booker's named batch "Toogie's Invitation", and if not there is a little display in the lobby that tells about her and the batch selection. Fred Noe is also a regular there. Their bread pudding is also some of the best I've ever eaten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Their bread pudding is also some of the best I've ever eaten.

Duly noted.

This is where I'm going next year. I'm a sucker for a good bread pudding.

Duly noted.
This is where I'm going next year. I'm a sucker for a good bread pudding.

I am too Steve, and I'm glad Joe (Fishnbowljoe) talked me into trying one of their desserts when we had dinner together during Sampler weekend. I think they actually make it from their biscuits, but it's fantastic! Joe's partial to their pies as I recall.

26 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I am too Steve, and I'm glad Joe (Fishnbowljoe) talked me into trying one of their desserts when we had dinner together during Sampler weekend. I think they actually make it from their biscuits, but it's fantastic! Joe's partial to their pies as I recall.

The three of us are so there next year then. Already looking forward to it!

The three of us are so there next year then. Already looking forward to it!

Sounds like a plan to me!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.