New "blended" whiskey from Beam called "Little Book"

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have once again proven I have no self control what so ever... :huh:

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I have once again proven I have no self control what so ever... :huh:

So far I have been able to resist..... helps that I haven't seen it yet!

16 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

So far I have been able to resist..... helps that I haven't seen it yet!

Landed in my lap at MSRP more or less, never hurts to help out my source for the LE's and I confess I was curious.

I thought Gift Horse was reasonably interesting so what the heck. And it is not like it is gonna go bad any time soon!

• I like it 1

At least now we know now someone will actually drink some and tell us what they think.

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

At least now we know now someone will actually drink some and tell us what they think.

Would have tried it Wednesday when I got it but we already a few on hand to try. But we will get there!

• I like it 1

I saw it today for the first time at my LS. Had to give it a pass due to the price. Very curious about it though. 

I saw this at one of my usual spots. They had an empty box on the shelf with a sign asking for people to inquire at the front counter. Mind you this place has CEHT SB, Stagg Jr,Booker's and countless single malts on the shelf (Kavalan, Macallan 18, etc). I'd love to know the rationale for how this bottle, of all bottles, ended up behind the counter.

always interested in a review on a new bottle though.

2 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

I saw this at one of my usual spots. They had an empty box on the shelf with a sign asking for people to inquire at the front counter. Mind you this place has CEHT SB, Stagg Jr,Booker's and countless single malts on the shelf (Kavalan, Macallan 18, etc). I'd love to know the rationale for how this bottle, of all bottles, ended up behind the counter.

always interested in a review on a new bottle though.

Well, just now I saw the plain old Booker's promoted to the glass display...

Just now, Kane said:

Well, just now I saw the plain old Booker's promoted to the glass display...

I'm afraid to ask the price.

I've passed on Little Book for $89, but have also seen it at $99. I may go back and pick one up next week since I'll be making the rounds looking for other things anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has appeared everywhere here. I've seen it as low as $65. I'll still pass. Maybe he's a blending savant but I'll wait for some more reviews.

• I like it 1

Just tried Little Book. Was good, but nothing any more special than a regular Bookers. $60 or less and I would purchase one. 

18 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Just tried Little Book. Was good, but nothing any more special than a regular Bookers. $60 or less and I would purchase one. 

If it is as good as Bookers, that's still saying something. 

Haven't seen a bottle of this in CT yet.

Just realized the batch name is, "The Easy Whiskey". To me this isn't a selling point.

Been passing an out of stock sticker every time I pass the bourbon aisle at TW, $68.

This is actually an old idea; after Prohibition and during/after the Second World War, when stocks were low for many distillers and their straight whiskeys, a lot of them marketed this type of product, labeling it a blend of straight whiskies. Sometimes this was done because there wasn't enough aged stock on hand; Glenmore had at least one brand that was a small percentage of 5 year old straight whiskey blended with a majority of whiskey aged 18 months or so. At other times, this was done to combine the products of more than one distillery location in different states. This was the case with Frankfort Distillers, who had distilleries in Kentucky and in Maryland, and who sold blends of straight whiskies such as Paul Jones and Four Roses, that were combinations of whiskey from their various plants.  

Yes, you read that right. It's commonly but mistakenly believed that Seagram's demoted Four Roses from a straight bourbon to a blended whiskey; in fact, at least from the end of Prohibition until Seagram changed its formula, Four Roses was always sold and advertised as a blend of straight whiskies, 90 proof.  Beam is, as I said, resurrecting an old post-Prohibition and wartime idea. 

Found this to be a very informative and interesting read. Shoshani please post more around here.

Well, in my travels this weekend to southeastern Kentucky, I stumbled on a liquor store with several rows of Little Book for $74.95. That's $15 cheaper than I've seen it at home, so I bought a bottle to be opened upon my return home. Just about all the stores in my area are treating this like a LE or highly allocated whiskey, and pricing it accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/11/2017 at 11:42 PM, HoustonNit said:

Found this to be a very informative and interesting read. Shoshani please post more around here.

Thank you! I've been on this board for probably 15 years (I was the 8th member, thus the "Old No. 8" in my signature), but I'm only able to be on sporadically. Hoping that will change soon! 

• I like it 2

On 7/14/2017 at 9:41 PM, Richnimrod said:

Color me unimpressed.    I too, would be interested in trying 13-year-0old Corn Whiskey, though.

(Waiting for the meaningless game between the Skins and the Giants later today to start, and I lost real interest in the Skins, anyway, about Dan Snyder's second year of ownership so here I am ruminating instead of anticipating --) How different do you think 13 YO corn is from 1 YO corn?  If it is stored in a nonreactive steel tun, I would suppose that the only chemical changes would be the oxidation associated with the tiny bit of airspace in the top of the tun.  At some point, I'd suppose the "space" would be occupied by CO2 (don't know or care enough to figure out how to do subscripts LOL) and CO (AKA carbon monoxide) which would retard the oxidation as the oxygen is consumed in the oxidation process.

OR, like really good wines, would that little bit of leakage (due to tuns not being air tight (or ARE THEY???)) and air space inside the tun be comparable to the cork leakage and air space in a wine bottle?

Now that I think about this a little more, I bet there is a recognizable difference between 1YR and 13YR corn whiskey.

ASIDE - I think I started tapping my WT MK 17YR a little early.  I sure hope I make it to carving time.

• I like it 2

Bought a bottle of Little Book @ MSRP.  I like it.  Interesting stuff, but it may not be for everyone. It is not a traditional bourbon.

I am not good at tasting notes, but I will give it a try.

You definitely get the alcohol/corn liquor on the nose.  Some wood in there too.

This is high proof whiskey.  There is heat, but in a good way as far as I'm concerned.  There is plenty of wood and tannins here.  There is some old whiskey in here.  You get the oak, but you get the sweet as well.  I think it's a corn sweet and that sweet lingers in a good way during the finish.  Finish is medium-long IMO.  There is a warming feeling.  I wouldn't call it a burn.  Very nice for 124 proof.  

FWIW, my buddy didn't like it as much.  Too much alcohol for him.  I also think the strange flavors of the corn liquor put him off.  

I know the $79.99 MSRP is a bit high, but this is a premium product IMO.  It may not be worth it to many, but if you don't mind dropping $80 for something different and good, go for it.  

Finally cracked my bottle of this, prompted in part by the current issue of Whisky Advocate that gave Little Book a very favorable rating (not that I put too much stock in such things, but it was enough to convince me that if I opened it it wouldn't be swill). Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised. It's very good, and ended up growing on me a fair amount. If I didn't live in an NYC apartment and space weren't limited, it's probably something I'd grab another bottle or two of. As it stands, however, my bunker space is by necessity reserved for duplicates of whiskey I can't live without (currently a bunch of ECBP, some KO rye and other odds and ends) and this doesn't quite make the cut. I do see myself attempting to replace it once it's gone, though. 

I know some people aren't/won't be a fan of this release, which I definitely understand, but I think that's due in part to unreasonable expectations. A lot of folks (not here, but elsewhere) seem keen to complain that this doesn't taste like bourbon, which would be a fair criticism if it were bourbon. As a blended American whiskey it definitely has a different/unorthodox profile, but it's well done (IMO) and offers a great change of pace. I'm definitely interested to see what happens to this as the bottle gets a bit of air time. 

I don't have much in the way of systematic notes but as a brief sketch for people who might be considering buying this: on the nose, I got plenty of vanilla, corn, a strong (but pleasant) wave of oatmeal/cereal, as well as blackberry and dark chocolate after 10 minutes of letting it rest. On the palate, it drinks a little hotter than its proof (blind, I would have guessed it were in the 130's) but it's not at all harsh. Got notes of corn, cereal/grains, roasted peanuts and a touch of cherry cola, all bookended by a healthy dose of oak (I'm guessing from the 13 y/o corn). With the addition of a single ice cube, the corn notes turn to a very pronounced cornbread/creamed corn with more cherry notes creeping in. The finish is long with baking spice coming in at the end, which for me was the only real hint that a rye is thrown into the mix here. 

Is it worth 79.99-89.99? I personally think so, if only because it's so unique and comparatively well done. I would hesitate to unequivocally recommend it to a friend unless I knew their preferences well (or if I knew they wouldn't miss the $80) but given the price point and how unorthodox it is, I would recommend trying it at a bar first if you can. 

It's not something I'll find myself returning to on a regular basis, but I look forward to seeing how it changes over time and I suspect I'll miss it when it's gone. 

• I like it 1

I saw Little Book for the first time last night when I was at Costco. I think they had it for $65 or $70, and they had a lot of it. It was also the first time I saw Booker's Bluegrass, which they also had a lot of at $59. 

I've only recently acquired a Costco membership, and they had a variety in the liquor section that I'm interested in (even had a $19k bottle of scotch that was pretty to look at), so I may end up picking this up at some point. 

11 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I saw Little Book for the first time last night when I was at Costco. I think they had it for $65 or $70, and they had a lot of it. It was also the first time I saw Booker's Bluegrass, which they also had a lot of at $59. 

I've only recently acquired a Costco membership, and they had a variety in the liquor section that I'm interested in (even had a $19k bottle of scotch that was pretty to look at), so I may end up picking this up at some point. 

So jealous of people who have access to a well-stocked Costco! At $65-70 I'd say it's definitely worth picking up, although I'm a sucker for a deal. (Scored a bottle of Old Forester 1897 at $35 today...I'm not even a huge fan of it but at that price I had a hard time saying no).

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, NYCBourbon said:

So jealous of people who have access to a well-stocked Costco! At $65-70 I'd say it's definitely worth picking up, although I'm a sucker for a deal. (Scored a bottle of Old Forester 1897 at $35 today...I'm not even a huge fan of it but at that price I had a hard time saying no).

I didn't realize the things they carry! They had a Maker's 46 gift box with 2 wax dipped rocks glasses for like $27, WT MK for $99, Glenlivet 25yr for $270 (I haven't seen it for under $380 before). If they get rotating selections like this, I may be tempted to buy things I would otherwise pass up!

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I didn't realize the things they carry! They had a Maker's 46 gift box with 2 wax dipped rocks glasses for like $27, WT MK for $99, Glenlivet 25yr for $270 (I haven't seen it for under $380 before). If they get rotating selections like this, I may be tempted to buy things I would otherwise pass up!

That's awesome; Maker's 46 is a great whiskey at $35 or under and at that price it's a steal! I would love to grab a WTMK at that price, saw a bottle for $110+ tax while I was out hunting this afternoon and sat staring at the box for ten minutes but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. There's a Costco liquor store near me in Queens, it's a small one but I might have to go revisit their selection. 

1 minute ago, NYCBourbon said:

That's awesome; Maker's 46 is a great whiskey at $35 or under and at that price it's a steal! I would love to grab a WTMK at that price, saw a bottle for $110+ tax while I was out hunting this afternoon and sat staring at the box for ten minutes but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. There's a Costco liquor store near me in Queens, it's a small one but I might have to go revisit their selection. 

I haven't tried either of those yet, but have been wanting to try the M46 for a while. Costco has dedicated liquor stores!?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.