Help Me Plan Kentucky Liquior Store Trip

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I want to go to Kentucky to buy some stuff not sold outside the state. I would be going across the river from Cincinnati at the end of the summer. First, would the stores have the same selection as say Louisville would? Are they open Sunday? 

Must try HHBIB. OFBIB. Those for sure. Price point for trip 20 dollar or less bourbon.

Please someone tell me about Old Charter. Is there still an 8 or was age statement removed? Do they have BIB, or others in the line up? What other Ky only stuff should go on the list?

Can't help you with stores in KY. With regards to your last paragraph Old Charter is no longer age stated. You may be able to find some 8 yr from a couple years back but I don't believe KY was a big OC market. No BIB OC but they do make a 101 proof however it's not that easy to find. No idea if distributed in KY.

As sad as it sounds, I almost never find much in Kentucky stores that excites me, outside of some barrel picks. There isn't actually much for KY-only products unless you want to include stuff you can only buy at the distillery gift shops. But then most of those won't fit the $20 bottle idea. Honestly I bring more stuff to people in Kentucky than I take home from Kentucky 

The one obvious stop is The Party Source.  They should have HHBiB 6yr...idk about OFBiB.  I understand you want to try various cheap stuff, but if that's you're sole purpose for the trip just buy a bunch on HHBiB.  It's the king of the bottom shelf.

As sad as it sounds, I almost never find much in Kentucky stores that excites me, outside of some barrel picks. There isn't actually much for KY-only products unless you want to include stuff you can only buy at the distillery gift shops. But then most of those won't fit the $20 bottle idea. Honestly I bring more stuff to people in Kentucky than I take home from Kentucky 

This is a fear I have. My company was planning a relocation for me to a facility in Kentucky close to Cincinnati and I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get as much good bourbon as I find in Texas.

Outside the Bondeds mentioned above that are mostly KY only, the best bet are store picks as mentioned by BIB. There's a number of stores with good reputations for picking. Find a good one and load up.

People here have such high praise for HHBIB I would buy a case untasted. Maybe a bit above my budget, what about EWBIB. We can't get that here either. I went to a Liquior Barn in Louisville last year and thought they had huge selection compared to here.

34 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

People here have such high praise for HHBIB I would buy a case untasted. Maybe a bit above my budget, what about EWBIB. We can't get that here either. I went to a Liquior Barn in Louisville last year and thought they had huge selection compared to here.

In my opinion, there is no comparison between EWBIB and HH6yr BIB. Those extra two years really make a difference in the HH. People give the HH6yr such praise because of it's quality to price ratio. Don't read too much into the hype and expect a mind blowing experience. You'll be disappointed. It's when you taste it an realize that it only cost you $12-13 that you get why we are so fond of it.It's better than some bourbons that cost twice as much.

We do get EW BIB in Indiana.  I've seen it in many stores around Indy.  In KY I would look for HH 6 year BIB and Old Fitz BIB.  Also just see what you can find.  That's part of the fun.  I used to come back from KY with lots of beer too.  They get some beers there I never see in IN: Balentine Ale, Gennesee Bock, Country Club Malt Liquor...

3 hours ago, PaulO said:

We do get EW BIB in Indiana.  I've seen it in many stores around Indy.  In KY I would look for HH 6 year BIB and Old Fitz BIB.  Also just see what you can find.  That's part of the fun.  I used to come back from KY with lots of beer too.  They get some beers there I never see in IN: Balentine Ale, Gennesee Bock, Country Club Malt Liquor...

Hmm, then if you get EWBIB in Indy there should be no reason I can't get it up here. Must look harder. 

I was online with a liquor store across the river from Cincinnati and they had some things that peaked my interest that I can't get here. Most are cheap but have a bit of age or proof above 80. Please comment if you have had any of these.

American Age 90

HH 90 Green Label. How is it to their BIB?

JTS BIB

JW Dant 100. Is this a BIB?

Old Charter 80 8 year. Am I missing something? I thought the age statement was removed. Is this old stock, or do they no longer make a higher proof?

Ezra 101 7 Year

Very Old Barton 90.

I know all these seem low end, but looking for something decent that I like that I could grab a case every year or so when I pass through Kentucky.

32 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

I was online with a liquor store across the river from Cincinnati and they had some things that peaked my interest that I can't get here. Most are cheap but have a bit of age or proof above 80. Please comment if you have had any of these.

American Age 90

HH 90 Green Label. How is it to their BIB?

JTS BIB

JW Dant 100. Is this a BIB?

Old Charter 80 8 year. Am I missing something? I thought the age statement was removed. Is this old stock, or do they no longer make a higher proof?

Ezra 101 7 Year

Very Old Barton 90.

I know all these seem low end, but looking for something decent that I like that I could grab a case every year or so when I pass through Kentucky.

You will find many many products in online stores that claim to be age stated. Very small chance that you will receive the age stated version. They just don't update the description. Probably a mix of laziness and not knowing. Almost every liquor store here still has a label for Elijah Craig 12 year in front of the non age stated  version

^^^^Old Charter 8 does not mean 8 years old.  ;)

My advice... pass on the 90's and just buy the BIB's.  Hell, the HH BIB is going to cost you 11 bucks and change (after taxes)!  ;)   

21 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Old Charter 8 does not mean 8 years old.  ;)

My advice... pass on the 90's and just buy the BIB's.  Hell, the HH BIB is going to cost you 11 bucks and change (after taxes)!  ;)   

Ever since I had Beam BIB, I knew I was on to something, but HH at 11 dollars? Want to check out JTS and JW Dant. Anyone want to compare these with HHBIB?

10 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

Ever since I had Beam BIB, I knew I was on to something, but HH at 11 dollars? Want to check out JTS and JW Dant. Anyone want to compare these with HHBIB?

Not as good. The extra two years on the HH make a big difference to my palate. This is not to say you shouldn't try the Dant though. 

Personally, I like Dant pretty well.    It won't be confused in a SBS with HH6-yr BIB by most folx; but damned good Bourbon.  

The JTS Brown BIB is a bit rougher to my taste buddies; but, I always replace the bottle I keep on hand when I'm in KY (to me nothing beats it in a highball).    So take from that what you will. 

If you have the space and the budget, I'd say try every BIB you can find, just because many have gone the way of the Dodo, and who's to say when more will go extinct?

I would generally say I prefer Dant to HH6 but figured I would have a small taste of each to see how I feel tonight.  Of the 4 JTS Brown is clearly the one that drinks the youngest but that doesn't mean it isn't without merit, I like it just fine. Dant is a bit more rough around the edges compared to HH6 but I also don't mean that in a bad way, I like them both and they are obviously siblings (as are the other two). OE7 is a bit different as it has a musty quality the others don't which I dig.  If I had to pick one it would be tough, Dant I can buy in NJ and OE7 I can buy in NY so for me in KY I buy HH6, which is my cop out answer.

IMG_20170727_220727315.jpg

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Not as good. The extra two years on the HH make a big difference to my palate. This is not to say you shouldn't try the Dant though. 

That's what most say. The 6 years is what makes it so good. I will try Dant too. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Personally, I like Dant pretty well.    It won't be confused in a SBS with HH6-yr BIB by most folx; but damned good Bourbon.  

The JTS Brown BIB is a bit rougher to my taste buddies; but, I always replace the bottle I keep on hand when I'm in KY (to me nothing beats it in a highball).    So take from that what you will. 

If you have the space and the budget, I'd say try every BIB you can find, just because many have gone the way of the Dodo, and who's to say when more will go extinct?

I have the budget since most seem pretty low priced, and have bunker space too. Thanks for your opinions. Appreciate it.

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I would generally say I prefer Dant to HH6 but figured I would have a small taste of each to see how I feel tonight.  Of the 4 JTS Brown is clearly the one that drinks the youngest but that doesn't mean it isn't without merit, I like it just fine. Dant is a bit more rough around the edges compared to HH6 but I also don't mean that in a bad way, I like them both and they are obviously siblings (as are the other two). OE7 is a bit different as it has a musty quality the others don't which I dig.  If I had to pick one it would be tough, Dant I can buy in NJ and OE7 I can buy in NY so for me in KY I buy HH6, which is my cop out answer.

IMG_20170727_220727315.jpg

Thank you. Nice comparison of all four! Is Old Ezra not a BIB since its 101 and 7 years? Probably makes no difference to me but does BIB have to be 100 proof and 4 years old, or can it be higher proof and older, but needs the distilling season to it?

39 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

Thank you. Nice comparison of all four! Is Old Ezra not a BIB since its 101 and 7 years? Probably makes no difference to me but does BIB have to be 100 proof and 4 years old, or can it be higher proof and older, but needs the distilling season to it?

BIB must be 100 proof. Minimum age is 4yrs but can be older. Henry McKenna is one example at 10 yrs old. HH BIB is another example at 6yrs old.

You can get jw dant, ewbib, jts brown and old Ezra 7 101 7yr in Chicago but higher prices than KY

The hh6yrbib, IMHO, is better than all of them, only see it in ky, the green label is good too, but last time I bought, it was only $1 less than the bonded

I try to get everyone I know to pick me up a case if they are going through, has not worked yet though :(

13 minutes ago, Dabbings said:

You can get jw dant, ewbib, jts brown and old Ezra 7 101 7yr in Chicago but higher prices than KY

Same situation around Indianapolis.

Some places have Mellow Corn too.  Our prices can vary a lot from store to store.

I think the green label might be nice, probably no water needed. You all are so high on HH BIB and its so cheap, thinking about more than a case now.  I mean at that price, it's probably one dimensional , but that dimension is really good ? No way it could be complex.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.