Furlongs

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yeah you said it grin.gif To be continued is the word grin.gif

Furlongs is a really nice restaurant and bar in L'ville. CL, told us about it awhile back, and so did Mr. Ed. they both gave really good reviews. Sooooooooo...off we went. This was taken several hours ago grin.gifgrin.gif

I had a really good time but I am very tired right now. Of course, you would know that I have grin.gif pictures grin.gif

Here's one for good measure. Bobby, Cliff and me grin.gif

Jim, I have my Straightbourbon.com, 2004 Bourbonian of the Year Shirt on. Did a little showin' off for ya today grin.gif I'm proud to wear it grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811381913_thumb.jpg

From time to time the various get togethers with StraightBourbon.com family members have been very gratifing. ( Thanks Mr. Butler!) Cliff mentioned getting to Ky a few months ago but things didn't fall into place. It did for this weekend. BettyeJo, Therese, and Erica made it along with Me,Amelia, Our Son Anthony and girlfriend Amanda. Cliff also brought his beautiful Wife and Daughter, Ying and Anna. We had an absolutely wonderful time and dinner at Furlongs in Louisville.

Thanks CL for letting us in on this spot. toast.gif

Cliff and I gave the Bourbon bar the once over, on this occasion Bourbon from and made by Beams' only would fill the bill. First Evan Williams Single Barrel 1991, followed by Bookers . Generous pours at a reasonable price. A good time for us all, Thanks Cliff for spending the weekend here!

Time flies when you're having fun, I guess we all did, it was over soon.

We did toast our Bourbonian of the Year,2004, BettyeJo and also Jim Butler. Without StraightBourbon.com a memorable evening amoung friends would not have been possible. grin.gif

post-73-14489811382144_thumb.jpg

A quick visit for a little Bourbon trading rounds out a nice weekend. laugh.gif

Shaping up...

post-73-14489811382369_thumb.jpg

Done! toast.gif

All back home in Kentucky where they were birthed, Some of these bottles have gone half way around the world, in both directions!

post-73-14489811382577_thumb.jpg

I had a wonderful time grin.gif We talked and laughed alot and laughed some more grin.gifgrin.gif It doesn't get any better than that. Good Friends, with their families and good food. I left with a really warm heart. My girls really enjoyed the night too grin.gif

Thank you Cliff, I was wonderful grin.gif

This picture was taken, that night at Furlongs. These two, are my "Baby Girls" grin.gifgrin.gif Therese and Erica grin.gif

post-20-14489811382794_thumb.jpg

Our table took up almost the entire end of the room. I damn near had ta holler to talk to Amelia and Bobby. I would get up, go down there to take a picture. Then, I would get up, and go down there, say a bit and take another picture. Then, finally, I went down there again but this time I pulled a chair up to shoot the breeze (so to speak). Next thing ya know it was past midnight and the place was almost cleared out, except for the bar.

Furlongs, was sombebody's home at one time. A very old home, with really tall ceilings, thick wood work trim, old wood floors. Just a warm atmosphere. I had a Ribeye Steak and salad. I recommend it. It was Excellent grin.gif

This is Bobby's family, Amelia, Bobby, Anthony (thier son) and his beautiful soon to be daughter in law Amanda.

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811383018_thumb.jpg

Bobby, Bettye Jo, et al,

Thanks, kind words are always appreciated. It looks like I missed a damn good time there. I wish I could have attended, but that will have to wait until September. drink.gif

We all had a great time Saturday and Sunday in KY, but I have to relate the sad story of events this Monday morning.

Although the 2003 Bourbonian of the Year is proudly displaying and enjoying those 10 new bottles harvested on three continents, some of which were hauled across one or another ocean and back again, my trade goods were confiscated as Hazardoushot.gifMaterials at the Cincinnati airport on the return home this morning. I kid you not.

How so? Well, it seems that the 2003 George T. Stagg is exactly 2.7 proof above the 140 proof Hazhot.gifMat limit. Having found Hazhot.gifMat, the boys in blue decided to check my whole stash. Well, it seems there is another seldom enforced regulation -- 5 Liters is the max that can travel with you.

Arghhh! My trade goods are in Hazhot.gifMat jail! Help!

Did you get to choose which of those 5 liters you would take with you? That's awful. I hope there's a way for you to get them back.

> How so? Well, it seems that the 2003 George T. Stagg is exactly 2.7 proof

> above the 140 proof HazMat limit.

I guess there's a moral to the story. It sure would be a shame if the

proof marking on the bottle were somehow to become illegible.

Was this carry-on or checked luggage? I see the duty-free shoppers

carrying on crates of alcohol all the time, so perhaps that's the best

way to go. The only restriction that I know of other than amount is that

the bottles have to be unopened.

Tim Dellinger

Did you get to choose which of those 5 liters you would take with you?

Choice? Surely you jest?

That said, they did bypass the few cats and dogs in the box to send along a Beam's 200th Anniversary from 1995, Bottle No. 8 from Batch No. 1 of the new Jefferson's, a Buffalo Trace signed by Elmer T. Lee, the new Prichards' Double Barreled, and a (far safer) 2002 George T. Stagg, at the mild proof of only 137.6.

Although the 2003 Bourbonian of the Year is proudly displaying and enjoying those 10 new bottles harvested on three continents,

My enthusiasm is tempered by your situation.

Cliff,

I also found out about the HazMat designation recently when I attempted to ship a single bottle and (now I know foolishly) tried to insure it. While I do mourn your loss, I am glad they didn't enforce the $10,000 fine for transporting a hazardous material accross state borders on a common carrier without the proper permits. I think they also said something about jail time but I was too stunned by the dollar figure to remember much as I backed quickly out of the door with my unshipped package.

Yikes! What a terrible turn of events! Did you have your wife with you? (The reason I ask is, for interstate transportation purposes it's a per-person thing). I wouldn't have thought about the high-proof being a haz-mat! Couldn't they just add a little water to it?

I run into that legal limit thing when I do my Maryland liquor shopping. The Virginia law is spelled out here:

http://www.abc.state.va.us/enforce/transporting.html

Cliff,

Following the 2001 festival (right after 9/11), I was sure I'd have trouble boarding my flight home at the Louisville airport. I had 8-10 bottles of bourbon, (including a few 1 Liter size) in a carry-on bag. Security was very tight, but nobody objected. Guess I was lucky. I wonder if Louisville has a limit now, like Cinci?

Omar

The inconsistent application of the current security regimen certainly goes a long way to making me feel less secure, although maybe that's supposed to keep the terrorists off balance.

Chuck,

I think you're on to something. Just when Al Qaeda comes up with the fool-proof plan of smuggling a bomb on a plane by recruiting an 80 year-old Jewish lady in a wheel chair, they see just such a woman being strip-searched by our ever-vigilant Federal screeners.

I can just imagine their planners complaining bitterly, "These people are crazier than we are."

(The above was written after consuming four fingers of Woodford Reserve. I wonder whether it will seem as clever later.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

No, I'm stone cold sober and still don't understand why we think our 'security' apparatus makes us more secure. The "Impeach Norman Mineta" movement began as dark humor, but it's starting to sound like sound policy.

Chuck,

You write with such a deft touch!

I'm left to wonder (undoubtedly, for the better) whether you are damning with faint praise or praising with faint damnation. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Chuck,

You know the old story...

Two psychiatrists pass each other on the street.

One says, "Hi, Fred."

The other says, "Hi, Harry."

Then each of them thinks to himself, "I wonder what he meant by that."

I'm just like that.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Thanks CL for letting us in on this spot. toast.gif

Looks like you all had alot of fun. I'm glad to see you all get together. Would have loved to have been there.

Hopefully, they had a chance to restock the bar since my stay there last summer. Boy, those are some times I hope aren't repeated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.