Advice from Store Manager

F105PLT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yesterday I drove to Buford, GA from Waynesville, NC with the specific purpose of shopping for Bourbon.  Here in NC the ABC is state controlled and the really good Bourbon is not always available.  Georgia stores are private and some of the big ones are well stocked with much lower prices than here in North Carolina.  I was at the Beverage Superstore where I found a lot of Bourbon and the prices were really good.  While I was picking up some Willett's (not available in NC) and some Four Roses Single Barrel (much cheaper than NC) the manager came up and asked if he could help.  We got to talking and I said that my favorite Bourbon was 4RSB.  He said the if I liked 4RSB, I would love Bib and Tucker (over $50/750ml) .  He turned to a guy who was eves dropping and asked if he agreed. The other guy nodded agreement so I bought a bottle -- with reservations as I don't like spending that much money without a little research (like posting a note here).  But it is a 2.5 hour drive so I bought the stuff.  I am home now testing Bib and Tucker and I am really, really disappointed.  It seems to be just about the same quality as Evan Williams Green.  That is the last time a store manager will push something like that on me.

^^^We hear this a lot (here), and we've all experienced this at one time or another. 

First rule of SB.com, don't listen to advice from a store 'monger.  There are exceptions (I'm speaking to long term relationships with a proven history of shared knowledge and experience), but most of 'em don't know a hill of beans compared to most of us here.  :lol:

I find this kind of "advice" to be on average rather shitty. It's usually aimed at clearing out inventory or moving higher margin bottles. I usually go out of my way to dissuade shoppers when I overhear things like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we all have at least one of those stories.  Just as I was getting into bourbon and staying mainly with the lower proof bottles I had a guy that works at the local Liquor Barn tell me that Town Branch was one of his favorites.  I don't think he was actually trying to steer me wrong, he just had so so taste in bourbons.  It has been on of my biggest disappointments.

I have a shelf full of disappointments, admittedly some of them are thought of quite well by some here, some of them I even bought a second bottle because I figured I must have gotten bad bottle. Lesson learned won't be buying much more Maker's Mark ;)

I also try to avoid taking recommendations from the stores that I don't know. Even the ones that I know and frequent, I always try to respond to all recommendations with "let me see if I can look this product up online and see if I'd like it" unless it is a product that I somewhat know.  I have also learned my lessons through buying multiple disappointing bottles over the years.

4 hours ago, hn4bourbon said:

I also try to avoid taking recommendations from the stores that I don't know. Even the ones that I know and frequent, I always try to respond to all recommendations with "let me see if I can look this product up online and see if I'd like it" unless it is a product that I somewhat know.  I have also learned my lessons through buying multiple disappointing bottles over the years.

Having a well stocked bourbon or cocktail centric bar helps. I meet buddies every now and again for a 'try before we buy' tasting. 

I once had a store manager talk me into buying Jefferson Very Old Small Batch instead of Rare Breed.  Lesson learned.

On 8/8/2017 at 8:01 PM, kevinbrink said:

Lesson learned won't be buying much more Maker's Mark ;)

Story of my life.

Off the top of my head, the only non distiller produced product I'd buy now is Dickel Rye.

Bourbon Of The Month thread is a great resource.

If no one on this site is talking about a brand - a red flag should go up.

I have had several of these bad store manager experiences. In particular, there is one local owner who just won't quit giving me bad advice and then passive aggressively badgering me when I don't take his bad advice.

But this conversation inspires me to share one time I had the opposite experience. I was just starting my bourbon journey and was on my first trip to Kentucky. My family was with me, the kids had gone to bed, and I made a late night run to a liquor store that was on Bernie Lubbers' list of liquor stores to check out in Louisville: Evergreen liquors. I had made myself a "wish list" of things that I thought sounded good from watching Jason Pyle videos or reading internet reviews, great values only available in Kentucky, etc. I was the only one in the store besides the clerk. He saw me earnestly studying the shelves and comparing notes with my list. I had a few bourbons picked out and continued to search. He left his post at the register, came over, and talked to me. He asked me questions and we had a genuine conversation.  I asked him about Charter 101;  I thought it might be one of those great "insider" value finds. In the course of our conversation he nudged me to leave the Charter 101 on the shelf and reach up to Jefferson's 10 year Rye. I had only budgeted for one more bottle at that store and the Jefferson's was a little more than the 1L of Charter 101, but I followed his lead. I subsequently had Charter 101 and, looking back, I couldn't be more grateful for his advice.

And, by the way, when I had tasted both whiskeys and thought back on it; his description of both Charter 101 and Jefferson's Rye was spot on. It wasn't just a "this" is better than "that". He took the time to tell me why: not based on a marketing fable or a "double gold medal" or a Wine Enthusiast rating, but from how it actually tasted. 

Thank you Red Headed Stranger.

You know how they say the only things that are certain in life are death and taxes? Not true actually. There is a third certainty, and it involves going to a Total Wine store's whiskey aisle and being told you should really be trying their "Spirits Direct" house brands. Its like clockwork

47 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

You know how they say the only things that are certain in life are death and taxes? Not true actually. There is a third certainty, and it involves going to a Total Wine store's whiskey aisle and being told you should really be trying their "Spirits Direct" house brands. Its like clockwork

This is true. A few years ago my brother bought my a bottle of Black Ridge for Christmas. This was based on a recommendation from a TW employee. I finally finished that bottle a month ago. I wouldn't say it was bad bourbon, but it's certainly over priced. 

7 hours ago, MeAndMyWhiskey said:

I have had several of these bad store manager experiences. In particular, there is one local owner who just won't quit giving me bad advice and then passive aggressively badgering me when I don't take his bad advice.

But this conversation inspires me to share one time I had the opposite experience. I was just starting my bourbon journey and was on my first trip to Kentucky. My family was with me, the kids had gone to bed, and I made a late night run to a liquor store that was on Bernie Lubbers' list of liquor stores to check out in Louisville: Evergreen liquors. I had made myself a "wish list" of things that I thought sounded good from watching Jason Pyle videos or reading internet reviews, great values only available in Kentucky, etc. I was the only one in the store besides the clerk. He saw me earnestly studying the shelves and comparing notes with my list. I had a few bourbons picked out and continued to search. He left his post at the register, came over, and talked to me. He asked me questions and we had a genuine conversation.  I asked him about Charter 101;  I thought it might be one of those great "insider" value finds. In the course of our conversation he nudged me to leave the Charter 101 on the shelf and reach up to Jefferson's 10 year Rye. I had only budgeted for one more bottle at that store and the Jefferson's was a little more than the 1L of Charter 101, but I followed his lead. I subsequently had Charter 101 and, looking back, I couldn't be more grateful for his advice.

And, by the way, when I had tasted both whiskeys and thought back on it; his description of both Charter 101 and Jefferson's Rye was spot on. It wasn't just a "this" is better than "that". He took the time to tell me why: not based on a marketing fable or a "double gold medal" or a Wine Enthusiast rating, but from how it actually tasted. 

Thank you Red Headed Stranger.

You bought a bottle of bourbon from Willie Nelson?  NEAT! :D

4 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

You bought a bottle of bourbon from Willie Nelson?  NEAT! :D

He discussed what he bought from Willie in the "what are you smoking" thread. :lol:

I have only been there once but Evergreen is a pretty nice store.  I think there is a nice Cuban restaurant close to it.

I trust my local manager to a fault.  He recently told me his latest MM private selection wasn't that good and was too hot (he didn't actually make the pick).  That's honesty.  I bought it anyway - it's ok, but I wouldn't get another.

More on point to the OP - I don't mind if a manager pushes high margin products or shelf turds to novices.  It's a business after all.  If I have any qualms, I just do quick SB search for some sage advice 

I've had several bottles I've bought on recommendation from regularly frequented shops that ended up not being favorites but those purchases made me a valued customer which has landed me several allocated bottles. I don't think they would have held the limiteds in back for me if I weren't buying other stuff once in a while. They gamble every time they put one of these "turds" on their shelf so when I gamble and give one a try we're in it together. They've all been drinkable, I haven't dumped a bottle out yet... :D

I'll listen to what the store manager and clerks say about products.  It's fairly easy to tell when they know what they are talking about, and which of them are more into marketing. 

The better ones I will discuss what I like, and listen to their suggestions.  The other ones I walk away and log it as a liquor store "huh" moment.  :)

I have a local guy I trust.   A long time ago, I wanted to bring my Uncle a bottle of bourbon for Thanksgiving.  He drank George Dickel and Jack Daniels.  The guy in my local asked if I wanted to try something different and recommended Pappy Van Winkle 15 for $50.  When I tasted it, I thought it was wonderful and started my bourbon journey. 

A few rules I learned when I visit a store with a wide selection.  When the salesman comes up to me and starts to recommend, I see if his taste is the same as mine.  So I pick bourbons I like and some I like less and ask his opinion on those.   If he seems to recommend bourbons I tend to buy I may consider one he recommends.  If he picks bourbons I don't care for and says they are "great", why would I trust his recommendation? 

I have one local store manager that I trust and has always steered me right, but my experience has been that most of the big places have store managers and bourbon managers that try to push the stuff they have overstocked.

The easiest way to head off store managers is to establish the rules of engagement early.  "Stay in yo lane."

lavar-ball-meme.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i

18 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

The easiest way to head off store managers is to establish the rules of engagement early.  "Stay in yo lane."

lavar-ball-meme.jpg

I roll up in my BBB shirt: "Big Bourbon Baller" so the manager knows what's up even before he try's to step up and sell me some craft swill 

On 8/10/2017 at 2:34 PM, BottledInBond said:

TW pushes their people to sell, sell, sell their plonk that's really high margin stuff for them.  And they want you to tell customers that "it's as good if not better than . . . . . "  Believe me, their Spirits Direct is mostly pantherp*ss - I know.  Used to work there and parted ways with them when I wouldn't lie to my customers that I'd worked so hard to get back in the door.  Corporate greed at its worst.  JMHO, of course.  <_<

On Tuesday, August 08, 2017 at 5:40 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

I think we all have at least one of those stories.  Just as I was getting into bourbon and staying mainly with the lower proof bottles I had a guy that works at the local Liquor Barn tell me that Town Branch was one of his favorites.  I don't think he was actually trying to steer me wrong, he just had so so taste in bourbons.  It has been on of my biggest disappointments.

I always say, when it comes to bourbon, Town Branch makes a great beer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.