Glendronach

morebourbon85
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is it OK to talk about scotch here? Or just bourbon? Lol Jk.

Anyone here try any of the glendronach's? I was wondering how to glendronach 12 compares to macallan and other sherry cask scotch's. 

Thoughts? 

There is another section of the forum for questions like this. I'm sure the moderators will move this. Anyway, To answer your question, Glendronach 12 is a great Scotch and is as good or better than Macallan 12. I just wish I could find it in my area. I have one bottle that's about 2/3 full, so I drink Macallan, Aberlour and Balvenie more often than Glendronach until I get a chance to buy a back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

There is another section of the forum for questions like this. I'm sure the moderators will move this. Anyway, To answer your question, Glendronach 12 is a great Scotch and is as good or better than Macallan 12. I just wish I could find it in my area. I have one bottle that's about 2/3 full, so I drink Macallan, Aberlour and Balvenie more often than Glendronach until I get a chance to buy a back up.

What area are you in? I'm guess I am lucky... I have a distributor friend who's able to get me them for $30. I'm gonna pick up a few from him. 

I live a few miles east of Memphis, TN. If you're going to be able to buy Glendronach for $30 that's sounds like distributor wholesale prices. The last bottle that I bought was over $60, and I think that is in line with normal retail prices most places. 

Glendronach is a generally heavily sherried style a bit like Aberlour I suppose.

The Glendronach stills were shut down for a period so there was a time when the whisky in the bottle was allegedly much older than the stated age.  Don't remember all the details and that time has mostly passed I think so newer bottles might not be quite the same as the older ones. I picked up a few of the reportedly older ones and they were excellent, whatever the age of the whisky really was. But because I still have some of those I haven't bought one recently to compare.

They also got called out for re-racking barrels that would go on to be bottled as "single barrel" although I don't think they are necessarily alone in the industry in doing that.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Glendronach is a generally heavily sherried style a bit like Aberlour I suppose.

The Glendronach stills were shut down for a period so there was a time when the whisky in the bottle was allegedly much older than the stated age.  Don't remember all the details and that time has mostly passed I think so newer bottles might not be quite the same as the older ones. I picked up a few of the reportedly older ones and they were excellent, whatever the age of the whisky really was. But because I still have some of those I haven't bought one recently to compare.

They also got called out for re-racking barrels that would go on to be bottled as "single barrel" although I don't think they are necessarily alone in the industry in doing that.

Pretty interesting, I'll post my comments once i give it a try. :)

Edited by morebourbon85

I enjoy Glendronach quite a bit. I really fell for it when I visited the distillery last year. Sadly, that was after the glut that Bruce mentioned had passed. Even still I've socked a few away as the price keeps rising. I'm partial to the cask strength, 18, and 21 myself.

I really enjoy GlenDronach 12.  It has changed in character as it has gotten younger (I'm sure someone will explain if you don't know the backstory), but if you're getting it at $30 I don't know that there is a better sherried malt available.  In terms of entry level sherried whisky, I prefer Bunnahabhain 12, but it is a pretty different style.

• 1 year later...

I think Glendronach 12 is one of the essential scotch single malts to try to provide a reference point.  I greatly prefer it over Macallan 12, personal preference.  Might be my favorite 12 year single malt although Highland Park 12 circa 2009 is up there, more for sentimental/nostalgia reasons perhaps.

• 3 weeks later...

The Glendronach 12 uses a combination of Pedro Ximinez and Oloroso Sherry casks.  The PX imparts a light sweetness and the Oloroso gives you rich dried fruit notes. It is a nicely layered dram with a bit more character than Macallan IMO. If you ever get a chance to try the Glendronach 18 please do so. It is all Oloroso and while a bit pricey it is a pure sherry bomb. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody tried the most recent release of the Glendronach 15?  I enjoyed the only bottle I purchased a few years ago, but I haven't seen it lately and noticed they had one at my local store.

5 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Anybody tried the most recent release of the Glendronach 15?  I enjoyed the only bottle I purchased a few years ago, but I haven't seen it lately and noticed they had one at my local store.

It was unavailable for awhile as the distillery caught up stock from the period when they were shut down. As you probably know there was a period when Glendronach was releasing whisky that was in reality older than what was stated on the label (which is fine, it just can't be younger). They closed in 1996 and reopened in 2002 and now that they have caught up it is back to releasing the more or less 15yo distillate from the current owners. Although ownership has changed hands a few times since they reopened.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:52 AM, NDN98 said:

I did a side by side of the old release and the new release recently.  Bottom line, I enjoyed the new release, but it was definitely a step or two down from the prior release. Assuming you like that old style, coal fired, older-than-stated, bit of funk. 

The new release is no slouch, but the blend of sherry casks (PX and Oloroso) and different methods definitely instill a different character and flavor.  At $79.99 give or take, certainly a worthy purchase IMHO.  YMMV of course.

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.