What would you buy a case of....

birdie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Its common practice in a number of places to 'lay down' a case of wine or port when a child is born, that they then receive on their 21st birthday. the hope is it turns out to be a really nice wine/port and has increased in value.

So if you had to pick a bourbon which one would it be, avoiding things like pappy or other LE's that is hard enough to get a bottle of let alone a case.

We just talked about this over dinner with some friends and the top picks were Eagle Rare 10, Blantons, Henry McKenna 10 yr and OGD 114

A standard case being six, I might do a mix of six BIB 750s  VOB, OGD, HH6, JB, ER 10, HMcK 10yr but only a honey barrel.

[Aside - It was really hard NOT writing up there, "which I would open and consume on my next birthday".  Trying to be serious.  Failing.]

I picked up Henry McKenna 10 yr for my sons birth year.  I believe it will be a forgotten dusty 10 years from now and I know it will be something he will enjoy as I do now. Also I believe the bottle should be marked with the  birth year but that's just me. 

Edited by Bbstout

Funny that you mention it but my daughter is expecting our 1st grandchild (a boy) in three weeks.  I wanted to get him something from 2017 so when Booker's came out with 2017-01 batch I picked up a couple of bottles.  I've kept one and the other is going to our grandson who "Good Lord" willing, we will open and share together on his 21st birthday.  

5 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Funny that you mention it but my daughter is expecting our 1st grandchild (a boy) in three weeks.  I wanted to get him something from 2017 so when Booker's came out with 2017-01 batch I picked up a couple of bottles.  I've kept one and the other is going to our grandson who "Good Lord" willing, we will open and share together on his 21st birthday.  

Wonderful.

I would lay down cases of:

Four Roses Single Barrel (the normal 50% one)

Stagg Jr.

Henry McKenna 10yr

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel or Rare Breed

A good Old Forester Single Barrel (or the 1920)

Pikesville Rye 6yr

Compass Box Flaming Heart 2015

If I could only do one, it would be Four Roses Single Barrel.  I fear they are on the decline and will not be as good 21 years from now.  Brent Elliott is an awesome guy and I trust him completely, but I just feel like the current owners are itching to change things (aka ruin it).

So basically I would just hoard a bunch of my favorite whiskies and end up caving and drinking them over time.  Sort of like I do now.

I did buy a case(12 bottles) of EC12 @ 2013 when I decided I loved that stuff and it was only $21/bottle for a 12 year old bourbon - seemed like a no brainer.  I planned to keep it hidden away, but kept raiding it and grabbing a bottle every now and then.  Couple years later I bought enough more @ $18/bottle to round off the case to 12 again and now its sealed up in a closet waiting like a time capsule of goodness.

I've done it with W12, EC12, ER10, KC9, HH BIB, VOB BIB6yr and AAA10yr.  Obviously, I need to do it with HMBIB and a few others. 

We won't talk about the ones that I didn't do it with...:unsure:

I could put in some leg work and track down a case worth of ECBP, so I'd put down a case of that.

For something slightly less expensive, I'd go with a solid KCSB private selection. I don't know how much longer they're going to be offering 10+ year old barrels for such a good price.

The answer is "anything I love that is at risk of being discontinued at present value".

These days, that's any good barrel pick.

agreeing with Bbstout, and for the same reasons. And, its priced well enough you can afford a case still

Edited by Whiskey Dick

This thread made me think I wish I'd done it with the old label Rittenhouse. Farewell my last bottle, your memory will live on. Now I'm depressed.

Was given a sample from my local LS of their new ER barrel pick. If it stays that good after proofing down, I'll probably buy a case. I have six ECBP 136 proof on hand but had to get them one at a time and from several different states. 

Julio's Loch & K(e)y Society Store Pick WA107 - Microbatch UCF #3135 .  Didn't keep her sealed up, tho' - I'm WEAK!   :(

WA107.jpg

Already did the birthday thing with my daughters (born 1978 & 1981) - laid down a case of Ch. Lafite Rothschild and a case of Ch. Margaux for each year as well as a magnum of each that we drank at their 21st birthday dinners.  But they didn't really appreciate the qualities of fine 1st Growth Bordeaux and wanted the money for their cases of 750s instead (which I gave them).  Then, some 10 years or so later, they asked where their cases of Bordeaux were . . . . . . . .  :angry:

Saving a bottle of the L&K WA107 for granddaughter #3, tho'.   :D

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling corrections and added pic

9 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I picked up Henry McKenna 10 yr for my sons birth year.  I believe it will be a forgotten dusty 10 years from now and I know it will be something he will enjoy as I do now. Also I believe the bottle should be marked with the  birth year but that's just me. 

No, it ain't just you. I bought wine from the vintage years of their births to be served at the weddings of three daughters. Had to choose what I expected to age well. Worked OK for two. The third girl waited too damn long to get married and the wine was over the hill. With sons, I would probably have gone with bourbon. EW SB from the birth year would probably work. Not too expensive and middle-of-the-road enough not to over tax the palates of those not accustomed to bourbon. 

8 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

The answer is "anything I love that is at risk of being discontinued at present value".

These days, that's any good barrel pick.

That seems reasonable.    But then again, when you child grows up they may not like bourbon.  When my kids were born I picked up some Thomas Hardy Ale.  It was new, and I figured 18 years should age it perfectly.  They hated it. 

Also, I think Port and certain wines like Amarone that are meant for aging not only can take 18 or 21 years of aging, but will improve.  So along with a bourbon, I might put together something that ages well....and hope they like it.

I would pick something age stated, believing that fewer AS will be available in the future.  I also believe my palate will change, so that something I really like now may not be my favorite in the future. 

Going for current quality, McKenna, or Eagle Rare, and breaking my AS idea, WTRB

I also agree with the concern that 4R is going to drop in quality. 

I wonder if 10 years from now whether the boom will be over, and more honey barrels will be available, so that our current choices while good will not be as good as that current market...

22 hours ago, birdie said:

So if you had to pick a bourbon which one would it be, avoiding things like pappy or other LE's that is hard enough to get a bottle of let alone a case.

Since we're talking fantasy situations here after I win the Powerball on Wednesday I'm laying in nothing but Pappy. :D But if my typical lottery luck holds true I'd get a case of Blantons.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.