To cover or not to cover

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey Dave, do you cover your glass overnight? Every time I leave an unfinished portion like that, (uncut) it ends up off-taste and sometimes cloudy by the next afternoon.

Yep, for the very reasons you cite (plus the occasional insect). A compact disc jewel box seems to do a pretty good job as a makeshift cover.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 1 month later...

"Flocking" of an ... unpoured bourbon? Recently I acquired a 100 proof bourbon, a good brand, certainly known to this group. I shook it hard (unopened). This is something I do often before pouring, and often continually with the same bottle. Why, I cannot really say. It may be an unconscious repetition of when I used to tamp down the non-filtered end of a cigarette. It may be because of my reading that casks or bottles rocked in transport seem to improve in flavour. (As late as the 1950's, Old Boston sold a whiskey that showed an old man rocking in a chair under which was slung a keg of whiskey that improved with each rock and swing..). Anyway, after I shook the bottle, I noticed a white residue formed on parts of the interior surface. The spirit poured okay. The next time I poured it it was noticeably cloudy. But I am going to admit to something. I added some (Ontario) spring water to the bottle to reduce the proof to about 80 proof before that shaking. I noticed the residue only after doing that. This was clean spring water. I have done this countless times with various waters and whiskeys and never had a clouding. Any ideas why the whiskey went cloudy on me this time? It is still fine to drink, but cloudy/misty in appearance - nothing precipitates down, the cloud is permanent. I think something in the water set it off, or perhaps the bottle had not been completely rinsed prior to filling and the shaking got the soapy residue off the interior frame into the whiskey.

From now on, I won't shake the bottles, and will add water only to the glass!

Gary

Actually, my eyes are always bigger than my stomach and I always fall asleep before I'm done! smilielol.gif

That's what happens when we get older. I have been known to nod off, myself. Luckily, I usually don't have a glass of bourbon in my hand when I do. Now if I could only control the drool. smirk.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.