Sign in to follow this  
Paddy

Barrel Rye

kevinbrink   
kevinbrink

I like all of the Barrell Bourbon's I've had and wish I would have grabbed the Rum when it was available, this one I'm having a hard time reconciling the price on, $80 for a 4.5 year old rye seems steep even understanding that there aren't really comparable products on the market considering this has some unknown percentage of TN rye (Dickel? I thought they sourced from MGP). I can buy Redemption 7 yr BP for $10 less, age isn't everything and Barrell hasn't let me down yet but I would sure like to try this one first.

mosugoji64   
mosugoji64

Maybe JD had some rye to spare. From what I've seen it doesn't seem like it's selling quickly.

kevinbrink   
kevinbrink

I've only seen 1 bottle so far at a lesser trafficked store in NYC, on the plus side if it ends up getting stellar reviews I might still be able to grab it.  I have this in the same bucket as the Minor Case Rye (which has been reviewed well) intriguing but seemingly poor value.

The Black Tot   
The Black Tot

Liked the tropically aged Jamaican rum by these guys @70 bucks. But for 80 bucks a rye gotsta have 10yrs+ on it to get into my basket.

I haven't bitten on their bourbons either, but I respect them who have lauded 'em here.

tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2

I talked to the brand ambassador at the local distributor's show this week and he was trying to convince me Dickel has some secret rye they haven't released for 4.5 years (the bottle says both Indiana and Tennessee are the source). Nice enough guy but I don't know, sounds a bit improbable. I too thought maybe JD was selling some (very quietly) on the side since their rye doesn't seem to be exactly flying off the shelf.

As for the bottle itself I tried it at the show (ok but I wasn't overwhelmed). Indeed I wasn't just blown away by the bourbon batch 11 or the single barrel bourbon they had on offer either (tasted like the older Dickel releases from a few years ago to me). The batch 4 whiskey was the best of the bunch to me. An 11yo blend of an undefined "something" from MGP and a Tennessee source which I presume to be Dickel that had some rum and rye barrel finishing influence as well. But like Paul I don't see it ending up in my little collection so far.

I did buy the funky cask strength rum rumored to be from Hampden though. So I have done my part! :D