Jump to content

Kentucky Owl Rye


kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • tanstaafl2

    8

  • kevinbrink

    7

  • flahute

    7

  • EarthQuake

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I posted in the what rye did you purchase lately thread, I got the chance to taste the Owl at a store that offered tastings. Tried both the Owl bourbon and the Owl rye.   I found the Owl

What we know for sure is that it's from Kentucky.  A fired of mine in Louisville was at a release event for this and spoke with Dedman who told him it was a 95/5 mashbill. Huh? How is that possib

Opened my bottle yesterday to celebrate my birthday (the bottle was a birthday gift from my wife).  Have to say it was as good or better than any rye that I have tried, and I have tried virtually all

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Country ham sammich at the Owl's Nest bar? 

Country Ham was never my favorite... The Nest has ribs out of this world... Cozy little Bourbon bar, the County is dry and has only a few (2 now I think) authorized places to get a cocktail, many locals go there... Fun place.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 2:33 PM, robertm3 said:

y4mE1z76K1gFCO-7qG0heRbwBiAISH6dBnfkSdhA I'm new to Bourbon collecting and wanted to share my favorite display... I happen to know Dixon Dedman and will be staying at the Beaumont Inn February 14th.. If anyone has a question about Kentucky Owl let me know...  

Since he won't likely reveal the source, see if you can get him to verify that the mashbill is 95% rye, 5% malted rye or malted barley.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, flahute said:

Since he won't likely reveal the source, see if you can get him to verify that the mashbill is 95% rye, 5% malted rye or malted barley.

If it is MGP it sure is a unique one! And doesn't it claim to be a Kentucky straight rye on the label?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If it is MGP it sure is a unique one! And doesn't it claim to be a Kentucky straight rye on the label?

It is Kentucky Straight, yes. A friend of mine was told straight from the horse's mouth that it was a 95/5 mashbill and since it's not MGP the only source I've found is Barton and that mashbill was experimental for them. If the horse's mouth says this again, we'll be onto something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, flahute said:

It is Kentucky Straight, yes. A friend of mine was told straight from the horse's mouth that it was a 95/5 mashbill and since it's not MGP the only source I've found is Barton and that mashbill was experimental for them. If the horse's mouth says this again, we'll be onto something.

Very interesting. The Barton theory has been mentioned before but I did not know it was alleged to be be 95/5 or that Barton even made a 95/5 at one time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Very interesting. The Barton theory has been mentioned before but I did not know it was alleged to be be 95/5 or that Barton even made a 95/5 at one time.

Check out chasking's comment on August 5th, 2015. Unfortunately, the thread he linked to is no longer available.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23338-fleischmanns-straight-rye-mash-rye-whiskey/?tab=comments#comment-481050

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, flahute said:

Check out chasking's comment on August 5th, 2015. Unfortunately, the thread he linked to is no longer available.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23338-fleischmanns-straight-rye-mash-rye-whiskey/?tab=comments#comment-481050

Well, I am sure I read that back in the day but didn't make the connection to KO. Sounds as reasonable as anything I have heard so far.

 

 

 

 

Edited by tanstaafl2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Came across this thread as I have seen a lot of this sitting on shelves in the Chicago area. Consensus seems to be it’s a good buy. May consider it next time. Anyone have a view on how it compares to some of the older, Willett sourced ryes? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hugh jass said:

Came across this thread as I have seen a lot of this sitting on shelves in the Chicago area. Consensus seems to be it’s a good buy. May consider it next time. Anyone have a view on how it compares to some of the older, Willett sourced ryes? 

Different animals if you are talking about the 20yr+ Willett ryes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.