2004 Bourbon Festival

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife has always wanted to see the Biltmore Estate. I talked her into combining a week trip to visit Biltmore and attend this years Bourbon festival. toast.gif

Delta had airfare from Seattle to Lexington for $250 R/T, so we are booked. I just noticed that we are flying out on 9-11, which will make the 4th year in row and I have flown (or attempted to fly) on that date.

Start booking your hotel reservations early as well, some places book up early. It's hit or miss though. This past year they had room but the year before it was hard to get rooms even if you called 4 months early!

The Best Western shows booked along with the Hampton Inn; I plan to call and doublecheck. Right now, we went ahead and made a reservation at the Comfort Inn. Also, thinking on checking on some B&Bs.

Definately be sure to call the BW, they say on their site sold out, but when you call they still usually have rooms. It's a game they seem to play...

Thank God you guys reminded me bowdown.gif I just called the GN and got a room for the 16th-19th at $84/night. I know I could have gotten it cheaper earlier, but I'll take it! Be sure to call soon, because the girl said they were almost full.

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I called and got a reservation.

I'm glad I caught this post. My wife an I have been thinking of attending the past few years but something or other has always come up and we had to back out. Not this

year.

Hope to see many of you there!

I was browsing through a January 2004 issue of Popular Mechanics and was happy to see a small article making mention about the KY Bourbon Festival. (Although it says 2003 festival in the article)They give a link to a small 2 page writeup about the festival. toast.gif

post-87-14489811390976_thumb.jpg

I wonder just which festival the author, Tobey Grumet, really attended. Why do I ask?

Well, according to the article:

"If it's not made in Kentucky, it just ain't bourbon" --strike one;

"the distilled liquid is then put in the oak barrels and flash-charred" --strike two; and

"finally, it's stored in rack houses." --strike three.

------------------

I'd sure like to see those barrels full of white dog being flash-charred. hot.gif Must be quite a sight. lol.gif

"the distilled liquid is then put in the oak barrels and flash-charred"

lol.gif I hadn't even noticed that! Too funny Cliff

I just called and was able to reserve room at General Nelson for Sept. 15 for 4 nights.

What's wrong with the "rack house" reference? I would write it as one word, "rackhouse," and use the verb "aged" rather than "stored," but is that really an error?

Although I prefer the more precise "rick house" or "rickhouse," you're correct that the more general terms "rack house" and "rackhouse" are also used to refer to a bourbon aging warehouse.

I didn't want to answer for you Cliff, but I prefer to always say rick house as well. I have been made to question if I were right at times though due to so many people always saying rack house; But no more!

Shoot far!...It's RIK-HOWSE...don't ya'll know that grin.gif

grin.gif Kentucky Style grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif jobettye grin.gifgrin.gif

I can't get the picture of flash charring a full barrel out of my head. Wouldn't want that job! It would be like lighting the fuse for the Space Shuttle, Better Haul Ass!

hot.gif

lol.gif

I probably heard "rickhouse" said with a Kentucky accent and got "rackhouse." Is rackhouse my creation? Damn, I've got a lot of rewriting to do. Thank goodness for "Find and Replace."

In truth, the most common term in the literature is probably "warehouse," but I like to use something more particular to the whiskey bidness.

Chuck,

I probably heard "rickhouse" said with a Kentucky accent and got "rackhouse." Is rackhouse my creation?

lol.gif No, actually...when I saw your post saying 'rackhouse' I relaxed (that's what I call it under a photo on my website) and thought...yeah, I always thought it was a rackhouse too...and maybe it's really both...

(an I speak Kentucky... lol.gif)

Bj

I caught a few minutes of the "Hands on History" show about bourbon a few months ago, and I think I heard either Fred or Booker Noe use the term "rackhouse". I didn't tape the show, so I can't be sure. confused.gif

I always thought it was a rackhouse too...and maybe it's really both...

(an I speak Kentucky... )

Bj

I guess I should have made myself clear grin.gif...

At Heaven Hill, we call it a Rickhouse grin.gif

When warehousemen (or women) work the rick, they don't tell each other to get in the "rack" to set em...They say, get it the (*&$#@$) "Rick" now cause I'm tired of carring your *ss blush.gifgrin.gifblush.gifgrin.gif

As Chuck said, most folks will call it a warehouse. Several of my friends refer to it as Rackhouse...Lots of terms...tallhouse, flathouse, entry, re-gauge...

Last year, my booth had a "Rickhouse" theme. The Heaven Hill cooper, Izra Cornish and his warehousemen built it for me. All of em referred to it as a "Rickhouse" grin.gifgrin.gif

I guess, the term, when in Rome do as the Roman's do, falls into place grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

I had taped the "Hands on History" channel a while back and revisited it just a few minutes ago. Fred Noe said "Rackhouse" twice. However, two other people called the inside of the bourbon warehouses "Racks" and "Ricks".

It sounds like the terms are interchangeable. lol.gif

• 2 months later...

I walked in the break room at work last night, found lots and lots of KBF brochures grin.gif

Jim has a link to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, on the front page (click on the Straight Bourbon.com logo, at the top of this page and it will take you there). They have the complete schedule of all the events.

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-1448981148099_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.