BigRich

What Dram are you enjoying? Fall 2017

n811   
n811

It has *no* nose.
It tastes like a cheap blend. I have on the side here. It can't get anywhere near Lot 40.
WTF? I am really disappointed.

Word. First sip I thought it was apple flavored blended.

It was work to finish my bottle.

The Black Tot   
The Black Tot
1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Yeah same here, I mixed some of the 103 proof Hand Selected in to mine to give it some bite.

which I am STILL waiting to get back to my stash to replicate!

kevinbrink   
kevinbrink
4 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

which I am STILL waiting to get back to my stash to replicate!

Worth the wait!

tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2

Out in San Francisco for Whiskyfest tonight but last night enjoyed another great tasting of Compass Box with John Glaser. In addition to the regular line we went back through some of the recent limited editions with John talking about how they came to be. It included The Lost Blend, the last two Flaming Heart versions (2012 & 2015), the "3yo" whiskey and This is Not a Luxury Whisky.

He also pulled out a couple of new limited editions that will be released soon, one of which is called "No Name" (the whisky speaks for itself), and John says is the peatiest whisky they have released so far. But I won't get to try those until tonight at Whiskyfest. Finished the evening at a jazz club called Black Cat. A long day as I had just arrived that afternoon but always a great time with great whisky and great company!

GaryT   
GaryT

Couldn't find an entire bottle of anything I really wanted, but having a $5 gift card I felt I had to buy "something" - so I opted for a 375 of Clan MacGregor and a 200 of Buchanan's DeLuxe 12 yr.  Never visited the bottle shelf of the dark side, so figured what the hell.  I guess the Buchanan's isn't really a bottom shelf (for the 200 mL it was more expensive than the 375 of CM), and it is clearly a cut above.  The Clan MacGregor is just as uninspiring as I expected it to be.  So - now I know (and I can hear the cartoon mantra of "And knowing is half the battle" while I sip these).  Meh - I've spent $13 on worst stuff.  

Harry in WashDC   
Harry in WashDC
33 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Out in San Francisco for Whiskyfest tonight but last night enjoyed another great tasting of Compass Box with John Glaser. In addition to the regular line we went back through some of the recent limited editions with John talking about how they came to be. It included The Lost Blend, the last two Flaming Heart versions (2012 & 2015), the "3yo" whiskey and This is Not a Luxury Whisky.

He also pulled out a couple of new limited editions that will be released soon, one of which is called "No Name" (the whisky speaks for itself), and John says is the peatiest whisky they have released so far. But I won't get to try those until tonight at Whiskyfest. Finished the evening at a jazz club called Black Cat. A long day as I had just arrived that afternoon but always a great time with great whisky and great company!

Thank you for the head's up.  While I will skip the No Name, I have a brother in law who loves peat.  He has liked the last two CBs I have given him for Christmas even though he is a single malt person, mostly.  One more gift down for this year.

Kane   
Kane
6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Yeah same here, I mixed some of the 103 proof Hand Selected in to mine to give it some bite.

Took another sip today, and I just can't bring myself to pour a full glass. Bitter hot ethanol dominates. I'll let the bottle sit around a week and come back to it again, maybe it'll be tame then.

Btw. if anyone's wondering how I can get this many pours out of a "mini", that's because I was trying to say a "half" in my previous post..

NDN98   
NDN98

Enjoyed my final pour of an outstanding single barrel.  The 15 year old Sherry Cask is currently one of my faves.

IMG_6760.JPG

jvd99   
jvd99
12 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Enjoyed my final pour of an outstanding single barrel.  The 15 year old Sherry Cask is currently one of my faves.

IMG_6760.JPG

The sherry Cask is nice, but I miss the bourbon Cask version this replaced.  

Dravin   
Dravin

Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's like a tire fire had a baby with a damp fall floor sprinkled with golden raisins, the odd old leather bound book, and hints of ocean. I may be in love.

BigPapa   
BigPapa
Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's like a tire fire had a baby with a damp fall floor sprinkled with golden raisins, the odd old leather bound book, and hints of ocean. I may be in love.

My favorite affordable Islay whisky!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Black Tot   
The Black Tot
19 hours ago, Dravin said:

That tire fire is a rolling stone. I think he's sired a few children in the spirits world. Mostly to the world's betterment I might add.