What Dram are you enjoying? Fall 2017

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 10/24/2017 at 10:14 PM, Vosgar said:

Only reason I passed is because Diageo thought it was appropriate to charge $79 for a 375. Bastards.......

That pricing seems to have passed onto independents as well. Every 7-11 yr IB Caol Ila (Signatory, G&M, etc.) I've seen around here is $90 minimum including the Binny's picks. I appreciate that it's good stuff, arguably even better when young and cask strength, but that is very tough to swallow when Ardbeg 10 is under $50. 

Edited by Auracom

5 hours ago, Auracom said:

That pricing seems to have passed onto independents as well. Every 7-11 yr IB Caol Ila (Signatory, G&M, etc.) I've seen around here is $90 minimum including the Binny's picks. I appreciate that it's good stuff, arguably even better when young and cask strength, but that is very tough to swallow when Ardbeg 10 is under $50. 

I kept thinking that Binny's has Lagavulin 16 for $79.99, and that's for a 750, not a 375

On 27/10/2017 at 2:52 AM, kevinbrink said:

Really enjoying this.

IMG_20171026_214426256.jpg

Not had Deanston yet. Got a bottle of the 18 I picked up a while back on offer. Will get round to it!

Ballechin 10 for me this evening. Good stuff.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, beasled said:

Not had Deanston yet. Got a bottle of the 18 I picked up a while back on offer. Will get round to it!

Ballechin 10 for me this evening. Good stuff.

IMG_20171101_223931106.thumb.jpg.abf14413d2f5a43d8ceb5609b7d2b7a4.jpg

Sounds like a good idea, opening this little guy reminds me I need to find some more Ballechin

• I like it 1

Chivas Regal 18. I have poor impulse control where 50 ml bottles are concerned. It's a smooth if not particularly compelling dram.

9 hours ago, Dravin said:

Chivas Regal 18. I have poor impulse control where 50 ml bottles are concerned. It's a smooth if not particularly compelling dram.

Same here, I'm a sucker for 50ml's particularly with scotch, even more so with Single Malts and the problem seems to not get better when I see 200ml bottles.

Port Charlotte, not sure if it's just the night but I'm enjoying this more than I have in the past. 

• I like it 1

In the process of killing off this Sullivan's Cove American Oak. 

It's been great all the way. Light, fruity, zesty, with a Tasmanian character that I've come to learn from theirs and Belgrove whiskies.  

It's a shame the prices on these are now what they are because I won't be buying another (had a bottle of the French Oak when it was first released too). Worth what I paid but not worth the price now.

Cheers! 

20171105_204828.jpg

1 hour ago, beasled said:

In the process of killing off this Sullivan's Cove American Oak. 

It's been great all the way. Light, fruity, zesty, with a Tasmanian character that I've come to learn from theirs and Belgrove whiskies.  

It's a shame the prices on these are now what they are because I won't be buying another (had a bottle of the French Oak when it was first released too). Worth what I paid but not worth the price now.

Cheers! 

20171105_204828.jpg

Ooh shiny! Another one that's been tingling my curiosity for a long time. But never searched for a bottle seriously, I wonder how difficult/expensive it's gonna be these days.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Ooh shiny! Another one that's been tingling my curiosity for a long time. But never searched for a bottle seriously, I wonder how difficult/expensive it's gonna be these days.

I dread to think. A few sites in Europe have had it at €200+ of late. 400+ for the French Oak. Nuts.

Funny, I ran across this bottle today and took a shot to investigate further before jumping in. The LS owner had placed the order over two years ago and it finally made it here on Friday (only six bottles in the state). Retail is $215.00. Anyone with experience with this particular expression? Thanks, Dave

IMG_7835.thumb.jpeg.06ae2be2c9bc12bb74c185c86c0ead4e.jpeg

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, Marekv8 said:

Funny, I ran across this bottle today and took a shot to investigate further before jumping in. The LS owner had placed the order over two years ago and it finally made it here on Friday (only six bottles in the state). Retail is $215.00. Anyone with experience with this particular expression? Thanks, Dave

IMG_7835.thumb.jpeg.06ae2be2c9bc12bb74c185c86c0ead4e.jpeg

Yes. Good, but not $215 good. When I originally bought it at about $100 a few years ago that was pushing in terms of price for me. Don't think even I would pay double that! :D

• I like it 1

Thank you, that's what I figured. Luckily there's actually an eclectic bar a few towns over that apparently has it on offer, so I can at least give it a whirl. I'm also starting to see Domaine des Hautes Glaces Single Malts around (probably due to the new Rémy Cointreau ownership), which are also seemingly overpriced. Any experience with these?

IMG_7554.thumb.jpg.943e7965bf1732d20b50af259e6d0636.jpg

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Thank you, that's what I figured. Luckily there's actually an eclectic bar a few towns over that apparently has it on offer, so I can at least give it a whirl. I'm also starting to see Domaine des Hautes Glaces Single Malts around (probably due to the new Rémy Cointreau ownership), which are also seemingly overpriced. Any experience with these?

IMG_7554.thumb.jpg.943e7965bf1732d20b50af259e6d0636.jpg

I have that exact bottle. I quite enjoyed it!

5a022b8e9a580_Hautesglacescask31A.jpeg.6fdfcb4cb4c5cd9bb6721a3db05c88c3.jpeg

I even tracked down a Condrieu wine to taste next to it! It has been a part of at least one past Wednesday tasting. According to my note it was a "really big full flavored wine and whisky". Sounds about right! I liked it well enough to buy a couple more. Probably still have some left. 

49 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Also tracked down my post that included Sullivan's Cove Double Cask. It reminded me that while it was good it was a bit thin. OK, a lot thin, especially for the price.

Thanks very much for both notes-- I'll pick up the DHG and give it a shot. I ran through several of your "Wednesday Tastings" posts— a very impressive variety of spirits. Well done.

• I like it 1

Started on Rye but decided it might be a good night to open a couple of Minis first up is AnCnoc 12 not a bad pour at all, more smoke and ash than I expected.

8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Started on Rye but decided it might be a good night to open a couple of Minis first up is AnCnoc 12 not a bad pour at all, more smoke and ash than I expected.

The AnCnoc 16 is one of my all time faves. Pure bourbon cask goodness. Ancnoc are rather underrated I think. 

Wanted something lightly peated while I'm sitting in a hotel in NH decided that I would pour a splash of Corryverckan from a 50ml into some Glenmorangie Lasanta also a 50ml, not a bad blend.

• I like it 1

Finishing up the weekend with a Dekalb Bottle House selected Compass Box Artists Blend.  The more I get into this bottle, the more I love it.  Just, so full and rounded in flavor.  

IMG_4310.JPG

13 hours ago, Kane said:

Time for this beauty.

IMG_20171113_212758.jpg

Nice looking color for a non colored whisky. I would guess it has some substantial sherry character along with the unique Bunnahabhain peat notes! Checks most of the boxes with it being unchill filtered and cask strength. Any notion on age? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.