Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kevinbrink

Barrell Tale of Two Islands Rum

Recommended Posts

tanstaafl2

Smoky rum. Hmm, isn't that Batavia Arrack???

 

Just kidding! If i see it and it doesn't break the bank I might try it. Not overly optimistic on either point though.

 

Then again, I almost never overly optimistic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Smoky rum. Hmm, isn't that Batavia Arrack???

 

Just kidding! If i see it and it doesn't break the bank I might try it. Not overly optimistic on either point though.

 

Then again, I almost never overly optimistic...

I passed up the last Barrel rum a few times and by the time I reconciled paying the asking price it was gone, if this one shows up somewhere I know where my local post office is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz
I passed up the last Barrel rum a few times and by the time I reconciled paying the asking price it was gone, if this one shows up somewhere I know where my local post office is.


I’m in the exact same boat. I was highly skeptical when they released the first rum batch and by the time I heard positive reviews, it was gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jshleffar

Anyone have any updates on when this is happening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

When is now, from earlier today...

 

IMG_7985.thumb.jpeg.1a9e66ac6700a8fa012804d6c7530087.jpeg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz

K&L got some in stock on Friday and it seems to have sold out almost immediately (or at least before I had a chance to buy). Not sure how many bottles they received.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NightCru
3 hours ago, Kpiz said:

K&L got some in stock on Friday and it seems to have sold out almost immediately (or at least before I had a chance to buy). Not sure how many bottles they received.

I was watching when they got it in, it was either 6 or 12, I can't remember which but it wasn't much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jshleffar

This bottle intrigues the hell out of me. I grabbed 2 online, now we play the waiting game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

$90  for an 8yo Jamaican aged in Islay (as if they simply bought a barrel off of one of the independent bottlers in Scotland that already do that) sure does steep. The K&L Enmore is more than 3 times the age but barely 2 times the cost.

 

Feel like I would have to try this to make a decision but by the time I do, if I ever do, it will of course most likely be gone.

 

Can't help but feel that the gimmick is strong with this one, Luke...  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz
18 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

$90  for an 8yo Jamaican aged in Islay (as if they simply bought a barrel off of one of the independent bottlers in Scotland that already do that) sure does steep. The K&L Enmore is more than 3 times the age but barely 2 times the cost.

 

Feel like I would have to try this to make a decision but by the time I do, if I ever do, it will of course most likely be gone.

 

Can't help but feel that the gimmick is strong with this one, Luke...  :ph34r:

 

I agree the price seems steep for what it is. I would have preferred to buy the original 7yo Jamaican rum they put out that wasn't finished in a scotch cask, especially since it was $20 cheaper IIRC.

 

Like you I'll probably waffle on this until it's all gone. Indecision is the only thing that spares my wallet these days so that's not a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jshleffar

kpiz, when mine shows up, if you waffled too long, feel free to contact me and swing into my area to grab a taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jshleffar
8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

$90  for an 8yo Jamaican aged in Islay (as if they simply bought a barrel off of one of the independent bottlers in Scotland that already do that) sure does steep. The K&L Enmore is more than 3 times the age but barely 2 times the cost.

 

Feel like I would have to try this to make a decision but by the time I do, if I ever do, it will of course most likely be gone.

 

Can't help but feel that the gimmick is strong with this one, Luke...  :ph34r:

Still not cheap, but if you search around you can find it for less than 90 ( I paid 79)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

Struggling with this one. I'm a fan of the Barrell 001 Rum that this is apparently based on, but it's now picked up an unpleasant bitter character. Being an "Underberg for Breakfast" type, I'm typically all over bitter-- but this is more of a "burnt bone basted in balcones brimstone" deal. I'm going to try cutting it with something soft like a Mezan Jamaica 2000 before writing it off.

Edited by Marekv8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:23 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

$90  for an 8yo Jamaican aged in Islay (as if they simply bought a barrel off of one of the independent bottlers in Scotland that already do that) sure does steep. The K&L Enmore is more than 3 times the age but barely 2 times the cost.

 

Feel like I would have to try this to make a decision but by the time I do, if I ever do, it will of course most likely be gone.

 

Can't help but feel that the gimmick is strong with this one, Luke...  :ph34r:

Well, it looks like the Force got me. This showed up locally and it is either buy it now or buy it never. Most likely I will go with the now option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jshleffar

Mine supposedly comes today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts gentlemen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley
14 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Well, it looks like the Force got me. This showed up locally and it is either buy it now or buy it never. Most likely I will go with the now option.

I had a chance to taste it tonight. A small sample that did not convince me to plunk down the $85 plus tax price. It was pretty dry with hints of phenol that made it seem a little confused. Interesting, but not overly attractive. Barrell 1 seemed more focused in its expression of rum character. 

This coming from a guy that likes peaty scotch but did not like High West Campfire. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

Disappointing to hear but I will likely still take the plunge. Which I am sure everyone will be surprised and shocked to hear... :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley
2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Disappointing to hear but I will likely still take the plunge. Which I am sure everyone will be surprised and shocked to hear... :huh:

I'd like to hear what you think of it.

 

My sample was at a local bar, and only the smallest of drams, which I split with the ever-lovely Linda.

 

Could be more time with it I might show better understanding of where it was trying to go.

 

FWIW a recent Cadenheads 175th rum I liked plenty but also thought it had a hint of peat or phenol that seemed an odd character. My understanding it was aged at least partially in UK and I don't know the mix of barrels. It seems I tend to enjoy more pure expressions than offshoot blends  of spirit styles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
5 minutes ago, RWBadley said:

I'd like to hear what you think of it.

 

My sample was at a local bar, and only the smallest of drams, which I split with the ever-lovely Linda.

 

Could be more time with it I might show better understanding of where it was trying to go.

 

FWIW a recent Cadenheads 175th rum I liked plenty but also thought it had a hint of peat or phenol that seemed an odd character. My understanding it was aged at least partially in UK and I don't know the mix of barrels. It seems I tend to enjoy more pure expressions than offshoot blends  of spirit styles...

Admittedly I tend to find things some other people find to be off or disjointed interesting and even enjoyable, I'd still like to give this one a try if I see it.  What was the source on that Cadenhead's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley
34 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Admittedly I tend to find things some other people find to be off or disjointed interesting and even enjoyable, I'd still like to give this one a try if I see it.  What was the source on that Cadenhead's?

I found it at my local for about $50. Squat bottle, 100 prf I think. 'Classic' seems the moniker

 

I'm not sure on all the particulars of the bottling. I looked it up at one time on the google. If I remember right it was a five source blend aged 5-10 years all or in part in UK. Not sure of the barrel choices but there was more than a hint of Islay noted on several occasions. First by somebody else putting into words a flavor note I had been working to name, but after that it was more pronounced. Ever had that happen? Once you know it's there- it becomes the palate equivalent of an earworm :P

 

I agree about the off or disjointed thing. It can work well sometimes. Other times it ends up sitting and moldering in the bunker until I can either wrap my head around it for a vatting or pawn it off on somebody as a curiosity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz
1 hour ago, RWBadley said:

FWIW a recent Cadenheads 175th rum I liked plenty but also thought it had a hint of peat or phenol that seemed an odd character. My understanding it was aged at least partially in UK and I don't know the mix of barrels. It seems I tend to enjoy more pure expressions than offshoot blends  of spirit styles...

Gah this reminds me that I need to open that Cadenhead's bottle. So many good bottles, so little time! For what it's worth (maybe not much), I get a tarry, chemical-like flavor from some molasses-based rums that come off a bit smoky or even peaty at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley
On December 22, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Kpiz said:

Gah this reminds me that I need to open that Cadenhead's bottle. So many good bottles, so little time! For what it's worth (maybe not much), I get a tarry, chemical-like flavor from some molasses-based rums that come off a bit smoky or even peaty at times. 

I remember years ago having an old Ardbeg Scotch that had an aroma of walking down railroad tracks on a hot day. Creosote, tar, and such an earthy depth it was fascinating. They were using some real deep peat at the time and it was intense. 

 

I know what you mean about that aroma. It comes off as diesel fuel in a way. As long as there's something else going on with it I'm ok. 

 

Linda doesn't like that funk at all. Even when I blend it down she still won't drink it. 

 

More for me :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jshleffar

popped the cork on this tonight. It is shocking and fascinating. It is incredibly flavorful and shockingly smooth for the proof and I had no issue sipping neat. I tried it neat, with a few drops and with a cube. The nose is incredible in the weirdest way. The funk is still swirling around my apartment with a heavy rotten fruit component in a great way. The smoke is not incredibly similar to a peated scotch nor very powerful. It smells like someone someone down the block has a smoker going.

 

The palate reflects the nose. it is very sweet, but not sugar sweet, very much overripe fruit; maybe baked apples with some burned butter. Plenty of funk comes through and the smoke is less present than it is with water added. The smoke brings some dryness mid palate, its not a peat smoke flavor, more hardwood charcoal.

These notes are disjointed and unsure but this is so interesting and I'm still not quite sure what I tasted. To me it's worth chasing one down for the experience alone, but, I like this. Not even close to a daily drinker but this will be one that can scratch an itch no toher liquor I have will be able to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×