Sign in to follow this  
Richnimrod

2016 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Richnimrod   
Richnimrod

Just to start a thread here for the new release of OFBB...

I've had notice from my local retailer that I can have a bottle, for (+-) $90.

Having been pretty disappointed in the last several OFBB's for the vastly increasing price points almost every year, I told him I'd wait a little while to see what is thought of this year's release by folx who have tasted it.

Soooo... Has anybody tasted this year's? 

Is it 'blow-your-hair-back-GREAT', or is it more like the last couple editions; over-priced, over-hyped, and only-good-but-not-great?

I shall await your impressions, knowing my opportunity may pass by while I do so.

kevinbrink   
kevinbrink
3 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Just to start a thread here for the new release of OFBB...

I've had notice from my local retailer that I can have a bottle, for (+-) $90.

Having been pretty disappointed in the last several OFBB's for the vastly increasing price points almost every year, I told him I'd wait a little while to see what is thought of this year's release by folx who have tasted it.

Soooo... Has anybody tasted this year's? 

Is it 'blow-your-hair-back-GREAT', or is it more like the last couple editions; over-priced, over-hyped, and only-good-but-not-great?

I shall await your impressions, knowing my opportunity may pass by while I do so.

I will post the first useless response. So far I have only seen it for $200+ and at that price I won't be able to provide tasting notes;)

HoustonNit   
HoustonNit

I'd take this at retail. Most BF product taste to young to me but a 12yr bottle of BF really intrigues me.

CardsandBourbon   
CardsandBourbon

I haven't tasted it yet but some of my bourbon geek friends in Louisville have.  I was told that it had a "burnt orange" flavor to it.  Not objectionable but it was there.  Their response to my question of would you buy it was, "I wouldn't go searching for it but if I saw a bottle I would pick it up."  Not a ringing endorsement nor a condemnation.  Sort of 50/50 I guess.

I hope to pick up a bottle this weekend, unless it is too expensive or they run out before I get to the front of the line so if I do get one I'll let you know what I think.

RWBadley   
RWBadley

Hmmm, the last OFBB I really liked was the '13.

The 1920 was so good I ended up with an extra bottle;  this years OFBB would have to be pretty darn good, and less than 90$ for sure- if I were to even think about laying down the coin

smokinjoe   
smokinjoe
3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I haven't tasted it yet but some of my bourbon geek friends in Louisville have.  I was told that it had a "burnt orange" flavor to it.  Not objectionable but it was there....

I'm intrigued by the "burnt orange" descriptor.  That is an uncommon note in most bourbons, but one that I tend to enjoy  when it comes along.  

CardsandBourbon   
CardsandBourbon
1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

I'm intrigued by the "burnt orange" descriptor.  That is an uncommon note in most bourbons, but one that I tend to enjoy  when it comes along.  

It's got me intrigued.  Something I've never tasted in a bourbon.

kevinbrink   
kevinbrink

Just noticing now, but this thread is like a year late....

flahute   
flahute
32 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Just noticing now, but this thread is like a year late....

I’m thinking Rich meant to say “2017”

kevinbrink   
kevinbrink
Just now, flahute said:

I’m thinking Rich meant to say “2017”

I would imagine so!

BourbonJoe   
BourbonJoe

I had 2 pours of the 16 BB at Bourbons' Bistro. AT 40 bucks a pour I must have really liked it. In fact, I thought it was super. Thanks Gary for hooking me up to some.

Paddy   
Paddy

^^^The '16 is a very good bottle.  I think I paid $79 for it, with no regrets.   

tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2

I decided to get one of the 2017 just to keep the line going so I can compare it to the past few versions. But it is getting harder every year.

I will try it soon once we can get back to doing a Wednesday tasting but that will likely be at least a couple of weeks.

Richnimrod   
Richnimrod

OOOOOOOOPS!!!!   You guys are correct.   I screwed up the thread title! 

I DID indeed mean 2017.  

I scooped up a bottle today; but am undecided about opening it up.     ...My almost-always-State-Minimum guy decided this one was worth $100 + $6 tax.

RWBadley   
RWBadley

This is about as close as I'm likely to get to a bottle this year. 

They got one bottle. Not for sale. 

On the bright side, it will be open for the Bourbon and Pie event! OFBB (and others) and Pecan pie! Apple pie! Chocolate pie! 

Cheers, :P

image.jpg

Edited by RWBadley