Blantons Barrell

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Local LS just sent me an email showing off their new Barrell of Blantons.

Friends , our Single Barrel of Blanton's is in! Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley was kind enough to select this for us, per our specs. The price for the Single Barrel.......

How should i proceed? Nothing special or probably want to grab a few? Should I expect much difference compared to a regular Blantons?

grab 2.  open one when you get home.  if you like it go grab more for your bunker.  if it is nothing special, save the 2nd one for a later date to go back to if the juice of that time period changes for the worse.

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

Local LS just sent me an email showing off their new Barrell of Blantons.

Friends , our Single Barrel of Blanton's is in! Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley was kind enough to select this for us, per our specs. The price for the Single Barrel.......

How should i proceed? Nothing special or probably want to grab a few? Should I expect much difference compared to a regular Blantons?

I have NEVER had a bad Blanton's.  BUT, depending on the price, and the proof on the "store" pick Blantons, that experience might have me buying basic Blantons instead of the mark-up.  I know the local prices well enough that, when faced with a store pick of Blantons recently, I decided that the $3 more per 750 was worth taking the chance.  I bought two.  I liked it just like I like Blantons generally.

If the price difference were greater, I'd take advantage of laws in Wash DC that allow retailers, depending on the type of license they have, to offer prospective buyers tastes of stuff they are selling.  When faced with the conundrum  you posed, I'd ASK the retailer if local law allows me to taste what is offered.  If the answer is "YES", I'd try it.  If I liked it, I'd buy it.  If not, I'd pass but likely pick up a basic Blantons instead - to keep the retailer sort of happy so I stay on the emailing list.  And because I like Blantons.

The rest of the email said this offering came in cheaper than the regular blantons price..and these bottles will include that savings. I'll see if TN has a similar law as the one you described. Thanks

Blanton's store picks are sort of interesting because every bottle of Blanton's is a single barrel, and I've never had a bad one or even one less than good. So on the one hand it's unlikely to disappoint, on the other it's probably not going to be significantly better than regular Blanton's either. That was the case with the store pick Blanton's I purchased recently, very good, like all the other bottles of Blanton's I've had. Saying all that, if you were planing on getting a bottle of Blanton's anyway, go for the store pick for sure just in case it's extra good!

9 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

depending on the price, and the proof on the store pick

Aren't all Blanton's bottled at 93 proof, store pick or not?

The local here that just got a pick in priced it the same as they do the regular...$65. I didnt buy because I had just bought a regular one the day before at a different store for $57.

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

Yes.

Yeah, all except for the export market versions, reserve (80), silver (98), gold (103) and straight from the barrel (barrel proof). But these generally can't be found in the US.

Edited by EarthQuake

The wording made it seemed like the store didn't even pick the barrel.  It sounds like a regular Blanton's to me.  I wouldn't expect much of a difference from the regular Balanton's (although there definitely is some variation).  That being said if the price was reasonable I'd probably still buy a bottle.  Blanton's isn't the most interesting bottle, but I always find it enjoyable.

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

The wording made it seemed like the store didn't even pick the barrel.  It sounds like a regular Blanton's to me.  I wouldn't expect much of a difference from the regular Balanton's (although there definitely is some variation).  That being said if the price was reasonable I'd probably still buy a bottle.  Blanton's isn't the most interesting bottle, but I always find it enjoyable.

This right here. Supposedly Harlan Wheatley picked it. Hmmm......And it was picked "per our specs". What the hell does that mean? BT products are in such demand that I believe that you get what you get. 

So I don't put much stock in this being amazing, but I also believe that it's decent at a minimum. It's Blanton's. Single barrel variation is expected, but few are terrible. (And I've had one that was terrible).

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

per our specs

I really doubt stores get to have the luxury of demanding certain specs (whatever that means) from BT, especially given how popular Blanton's is these days. But Blanton's is always a good pour, so you might as well, if the price is right.

EDIT: Damn @flahute, stop reading my mind!

Edited by Kane

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

The local here that just got a pick in priced it the same as they do the regular...$65. I didnt buy because I had just bought a regular one the day before at a different store for $57.

All the same proof?  Oh, indeed.  WHAT was I thinking?  Sorry, you all.

9 hours ago, Clueby said:
  9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

depending on the price, and the proof on the store pick

All the same proof?  Oh, indeed.  WHAT was I thinking?  Sorry, you all.

16 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Yeah, all except for the export market versions, reserve (80), silver (98), gold (103) and straight from the barrel (barrel proof). But these generally can't be found in the US.

All of the exports are available from the usual suspect euro online retailers

Others have pretty much posted what my thoughts are on this subject. But in a nutshell, per our specs means, pick one you think we'll like. ;)

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Others have pretty much posted what my thoughts are on this subject. But in a nutshell, per our specs means, pick one you think we'll like. ;)

Cheers! Joe

Well i think you have saved me some money when i get back home.  My wife doesnt know it but she thanks you. Next time she wont let me go on vacation by myself

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

in a nutshell, per our specs means, pick one you think we'll like. ;)

Hey!!! They stole my specs!!!

• I like it 2

"Hey Harlen! We know there's a boom going on and we're running production flat out and you're constantly busy, but we need you to stop everything for an hour today. There's a store in Nashville that wants you to specially select them a barrel. This is officially Buffalo Trace's top priority. Yes, we know we have a tasting team -but the store wants you. Just hit stop on the column stills, we can tell everyone things are going to be allocated for another year. We'll accept the consequences. This comes straight from Sazerac head office"

"Just distill the CLIX vodka 158 times instead of 159 today"

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 1

On 10/6/2017 at 12:56 AM, flahute said:

This right here. Supposedly Harlan Wheatley picked it. Hmmm......And it was picked "per our specs". What the hell does that mean? BT products are in such demand that I believe that you get what you get. 

So I don't put much stock in this being amazing, but I also believe that it's decent at a minimum. It's Blanton's. Single barrel variation is expected, but few are terrible. (And I've had one that was terrible).

If he did indeed pick it, will there be a sticker or something on the bottle proclaiming that the Master Distiller picked it himself?

20 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

If he did indeed pick it, will there be a sticker or something on the bottle proclaiming that the Master Distiller picked it himself?

Im headed back home today.. i'll have to check it out tomorrow.. the pics still show all the bottles still in the boxes. Dont know if thats an indicator or not

1 hour ago, NDN98 said:

As a matter of fact, there would be.  ;)

Cheers! Joe

10 hours ago, NDN98 said:

P1100714.JPG

• I like it 2

On 10/8/2017 at 9:15 AM, FasterHorses said:

Im headed back home today.. i'll have to check it out tomorrow.. the pics still show all the bottles still in the boxes. Dont know if thats an indicator or not

There was no mention of Harlan on the sticker.. Just "Single Barrell" and the name of the store. Believe I'll pass this time. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.