Am I nuts?

chappy6107
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So weather in Tx change ~20 degrees.  My nose has been running all day.  But thats not going to stop me from drinking my bourbon.  However, some of my pours have been not great and others that I expected to be blah ended up being great.  So I know my palate is not on par today, but my only pour of WA 107 tastes great, but smells like bubble gum.  lol not that its a bad thing but never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought a bourbon would smell like bubble gum...anyone ever have an experience like this?  I mean I am about to pour myself another finger or two of bubble gum :D

I sometimes get notes of Bubblicious in some bourbons. I always get it Crown Royal Northern Rye.

The 2017 bottles of Rock Hill Farms I've tried have all had a slight bubble gum aroma in the glass.

Also, Old Fitz, BIB is notorious for a bubble gum profile (according to some folks).

Can't say that I've ever got it from OWA, but my current bottle is an older date code.

Runny nose can really mess with stuff because the mucus......never mind.....it just does.

Edited by 0895

One of the flavor components in bubble gum is vanilla so it's not surprising that it shows up in bourbon flavors from time to time.

I get it sometimes. It's somewhat common. First time I got that flavor was from a Russell's Reserve 10yr a year or so ago. More recently, my group picked a Russell's Reserve Single Barrel that we dubbed Double Bubble due to it's distinct bubble gum flavor.

As for the palate, yes, it can do strange things and not only when you are a bit congested. Some bourbons I'm not crazy about can taste great on a bad palate day (and vice versa with ones I like).

Use those days to drink down the ones you usually don't like.

I absolutely get a distinct bubble gum aroma from everything BT Mash Bill #2, so it is not unheard of.

Fun fact: I never ever got vanilla from any bourbon. Not once. Maybe I'm vanilla-challenged.

Edited by Kane

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Some bourbons I'm not crazy about can taste great on a bad palate day (and vice versa with ones I like).

^^^ Hah!    Serendipity strikes again. 

I had exactly such an experience a couple days ago.    I have a bottle of Old Forester Single Barrel that I was pretty disappointed in a couple years ago when I opened it for the first time.    I've revisited it on rare occasions ever since, and only once in a while it seems marginally better.    A few days ago, I decided to sacrifice myself, and lower the bottle, as I wanted it for decanting (it's a narrow one with a good screw cap, good for saving shelf space).    To make an already-too-long story shorter: It Was Fabulous!    Both the nose and palate (but especially the palate) were just excellent!    ...I mean top-ten-ever caliber.  

Yesterday, I decided to pour a tiny taste just to see if it was still that good.    NO, it had returned to sub-optimal.    Go figure.    Obviously the change wasn't within the bottle; but rather, within my pie-hole.

I noticed some bubble gum flavor in the WT KY Spirit I finished recently.

I've experienced taste perceptions can change from day to day too.  A lot of different things can affect that.

I got a lot of what I termed Juicy Fruit from a store pick single barrel Buffalo Trace, which if you'd called it Bubble Gum I wouldn't have argued with you.

No, you're not nuts. I've tasted the bubble gum thing before too. I've also gotten cotton candy or slightly burnt cotton candy before too.

Cheers! Joe

On 10/16/2017 at 2:20 AM, Kane said:

Fun fact: I never ever got vanilla from any bourbon. Not once. Maybe I'm vanilla-challenged.

Perhaps it is genetic the way some people can easily tell, a couple of hours later, that they have had asparagus for dinner. Vanilla is one of the most common notes that I find in most bourbons. Some more than others but quite pervasive.  

14 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

No, you're not nuts. I've tasted the bubble gum thing before too. I've also gotten cotton candy or slightly burnt cotton candy before too.

Cheers! Joe

that sounds enjoyable!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.