Other Liquors

BoozeFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Maybe a newbie question, but I am curious. Any members here drink scotch as well as bourbon on occasion? I can enjoy an Irish whiskey from time to time or sip on some rum every once in a while, but I do not enjoy scotch at all. I did receive a bottle of JW blue as a gift from my father in law and I want to pop it open on a special occasion with him but afraid I won't like it. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good scotch for Bourbon drinkers? Again just wondering. Thanks for the help.

Maybe a newbie question, but I am curious. Any members here drink scotch as well as bourbon on occasion? I can enjoy an Irish whiskey from time to time or sip on some rum every once in a while, but I do not enjoy scotch at all. I did receive a bottle of JW blue as a gift from my father in law and I want to pop it open on a special occasion with him but afraid I won't like it. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good scotch for Bourbon drinkers? Again just wondering. Thanks for the help.

Check out the other sections in the forum that discuss non-bourbon spirits. Many of us like the other stuff too, but the primary focus and the largest forum section deals with bourbon. Just keep the discussion of the other spirits in its section, and I'm sure you'll find plenty of folks willing to discuss. I think there is actually a thread that was started a few months back about scotch recommendations for bourbon drinkers, so you should seek it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

I've heard from a few Scotch drinkers that 'The Balvenie Double Wood' is one that some Bourbon lovers favor.

Under Home/Other Alcohol Related Discussion/Foreign Whiskey, look for these older topics -

Love bourbon but can't love Scotch

Best Scotch for a Bourbon Drinker

Recommend my next bottle of Scotch

In my case, I attended WhiskyFest WashDC in 2016, and John Glaser of Compass Box had a booth across from the High West booth.  He offered me a taste.  I told him I was not a scotch fan, but thanks.  He persisted.  I now have several bottles of Hedonism and a few of The Spice Tree, one of each opened.  A brother in law (who "was" exclusively a Bordeaux and Single Malt fan) and I have started a journey through some of the milder Scottish blends.

Finally, another SBer, when I asked the same question, suggested I try "Old Pulteney".  I now have a bottle of that opened, too. 

But other than that, I know doodly squat about Scotch.

^^^^Harry, if you haven't already done so, you really should give the Glenmorangie 10 a go.  It's an inoffensive, sweet, easy drinker.  An easy switch over from bourbon when I need a good palate reset.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Harry, if you haven't already done so, you really should give the Glenmorangie 10 a go.  It's an inoffensive, sweet, easy drinker.  An easy switch over from bourbon when I need a good palate reset.

Glenmo 10 is the only scotch I can stomach that I've tasted and the only one I keep on my bar. I still never pour from it, it's there for anyone who wants scotch.

• I like it 1

I have seen 50ml (airline) bottles of some of the more popular Scotch brands.

I will drink Scotch on rare occasion: in an airplane, wedding reception, some one else's house.  I never tried any of the really expensive stuff.  Bourbon is more my thing.

Most Delta Sky Clubs offer dirt cheap pours (especially doubles) of Johnnie Walker Blue Label should you want to get a feel for it. The previously-mentioned Balvenie Double Wood is available in a 50mL miniature along with others like the Bunnahabhain 12 and Ledaig 10-- and many blended Scotches. The Port Dundas 18 (single grain), the Caol Ila unpeated “Stitchell Reserve” or the rather woody Auchentoshan Three Wood might be worth a try.

IMG_7784.thumb.jpg.b4ab2e880c5afa49aca65528e54aa705.jpg

• I like it 1

I would guess that most of the folks who enjoy other spirits on the forum, myself included, enjoy them for the change of pace. When I drink scotch I tend to go with heavily peated, heavily sherried and tend to enjoy something I find challenging at first a bit more. Same with Rum, the more funk the better.

• I like it 1

Even though I like bourbon and rye the best, I must admit I have a considerably larger Scotch collection ???? I don't tend to buy "redundant" whiskeys, and that plays into the current situation; I think Scotch as a category offers a more diverse set of flavor profiles, hence more bottles to cover the essentials.

Scotch and bourbon are wildly different drinks, I don't exactly see a direct correlation between them. My only recommendation for a bourbon drinker is to start with a non-peated Scotch, peat is an acquired taste.

I will add that I don't necessarily agree with entering a category with an inoffensive choice either. Sometimes the big & bold can make a difference. I didn't like Scotch until I tried an Aberlour A'bunadh.

I will add that I don't necessarily agree with entering a category with an inoffensive choice either. Sometimes the big & bold can make a difference. I didn't like Scotch until I tried an Aberlour A'bunadh.

Balvenie Doublewood is the Scotch that got me interested in Scotch again after 25 years of thinking I didn't like Scotch. However, if I could have only one Scotch out of the 50 or so that I've now bought and tried, it would be a tough choice between two totally different Scotches...Aberlour A'bunadh and Lagavulan 16.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was buying an Ardbeg Uigeadail 50 ml that moved me from wanting to explore peated Scotch to wanting to always have something peated on hand. Big, bold, and so very much not like bourbon is what first caught my imagination reading other's tasting notes and finally ensnared my senses with the having. 

Edited by Dravin

On 10/25/2017 at 8:55 AM, Dravin said:

It was buying an Ardbeg Uigeadail 50 ml that moved me from wanting to explore peated Scotch to wanting to always have something peated on hand. Big, bold, and so very much not like bourbon is what first caught my imagination reading other's tasting notes and finally ensnared my senses with the having. 

I was at dinner with a vendor that convinced me to try a pour of Ardbeg Ten. Mind = blown. A few months later I went to an Ardbeg tasting and discovered that I like Uiggedail even better. I always keep a bottle of both of those now.  I've tried many other Scotches but I haven't found anything I like as well. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.