Yellowstone adding their own bourbon to 2017 release

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 10/25/2017 at 5:26 AM, FasterHorses said:

Found this interesting..price is still a bit high but looks like they're moving in the right direction as planned. Hope its ok to link this.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/yellowstone-2017-limited-bourbon-mixes-whiskey/

This is what stood out to me: "each bottle signed by Steve Beam and nestled in commemorative tubes. Approximately 7,000-8,000 bottles of this bourbon are being produced this fall." The poor guy has to sign 7-8,000 labels? Hello carpal-tunnel!

Anyway, it's nice that they have their own bourbon ready to go, but why blend it away? Seems like a better idea would be to bottle it for sale at the distillery if it's ready to go.

• I like it 1

I have the 2016 YS LE. Finished in toasted wine barrels - it had a strong oak flavor profile throughout the finish, when I sampled it. The Whiskey Wash review summed it up nicely, if you like a floral and fruit flavor profiles such as Four Roses, you won't like it. If you prefer a stronger oak profile akin to a Maker's 46 (with seared French Oak staves), this will be up your alley.  I liked it enough to pick up a bottle for $99.99. I won't say it is on my radar as a must have fall limited release, but it isn't worse than some other limited releases for the price - ala Woodford's MCs. 

thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&pid=2

44 minutes ago, mdband said:

I have the 2016 YS LE. Finished in toasted wine barrels - it had a strong oak flavor profile throughout the finish, when I sampled it. The Whiskey Wash review summed it up nicely, if you like a floral and fruit flavor profiles such as Four Roses, you won't like it. If you prefer a stronger oak profile akin to a Maker's 46 (with seared French Oak staves), this will be up your alley.  I liked it enough to pick up a bottle for $99.99. I won't say it is on my radar as a must have fall limited release, but it isn't worse than some other limited releases for the price - ala Woodford's MCs. 

thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&pid=2

I believe the plan was to do 7 of these LEs until their own bourbon comes of age. Then should not have to source at that point. 

1 hour ago, mosugoji64 said:

This is what stood out to me: "each bottle signed by Steve Beam and nestled in commemorative tubes. Approximately 7,000-8,000 bottles of this bourbon are being produced this fall." The poor guy has to sign 7-8,000 labels? Hello carpal-tunnel!

Anyway, it's nice that they have their own bourbon ready to go, but why blend it away? Seems like a better idea would be to bottle it for sale at the distillery if it's ready to go.

I'm not sure how much stock they have of that 4 year old, it's a pretty small distillery.  This strategy seems to be a new trend though (Whistlepig Farmstock) and I would rather see distilleries go the Willett route BIB or CS with their own distilled spirits. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.