Booker's for $60 - should I do it?

Bourbon Fanatic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would be all over it at that price.  The last bottle I bought of it was around $60 in late summer 2016, which I purchased just after learning of the price-hike.  Since then, stores in my area have been pricing it at $100+, and I've seen it all the way up to $120.  As I mentioned in a separate post, though, people don't seem to be buying at those prices, as its still the 2016 batches or earlier on all the shelves around here, and I've noticed a few places it has crept back down to about ~$80. 

5 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Present pricing is pushing their customers straight into the arms of Stagg Jr. 

Glad I loaded up on Bookers, Stagg Jr. is not an adequate replacement to me, if I was going to buy based on value I would just go WTRB and call it a day, I like it better than Stagg Jr and for that matter CEHT BP which I don't find to be terribly different and certainly not worth the uptick in price from Stagg Jr.

7 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I don't know if Booker's can hold this pricing level. I think we might see it back at 50 when the dust settles, inventories catch up, and we get past the now-inevitable $200 Booker's 30th. 

Present pricing is pushing their customers straight into the arms of Stagg Jr. 

The batches idea was good but I think they implemented it wrong. They did too many at too large a rate for people to keep up with. Had they done fewer, larger batches with more distinction in character I think they'd have done better. I care, but I couldn't be bothered to taste off between noe hard times, noe secret, bluegill and bluegrass. In the end I called it all "Booker's" and will wait until the hype is over and people regain the reality that this is 7yrs old (when we're lucky!) and not aged in diamond-studded casks.

Noe sale.

...but that's because I know already what the range of Booker's tastes are. People who haven't tried it won't find a much better price these days than 60 bucks, it IS great bourbon and worth learning to appreciate, and there are a LOT of worse values out there. 

This is exactly right. Booker’s “flaw” is that they produce extremely consistent and very good bourbon at a good age and high proof point. Until the price increase it was also a tremendous value at $60 and below. I think it’s still a good value at $60. It doesn’t get much love because Beam bungled the price increase and because it is under pressure from ECBP and Stagg Jr. which have become less rare. None of that should take away from the fact that Booker’s is good whiskey and still a value at $60 IMO. The fact that you can find it nearly anywhere should be a positive not a negative. 

Edited by Charlutz
  • I like it 1

Bookers is readily available here in AZ but the price varies quite a bit from place to place so shop around. Costco has the best price but they generally only have 1 or 2 batches. TW usually has several batches but employs the ridiculous practice of charging different prices for each one. Surprisingly, Bookers seemed to become even more plentiful after the announcement that they were scaling back on shipments. I heartily recommend picking up a bottle at Costco and giving it a try. If you're so inclined, you can then look for different batches but I think you'll find the flavor profile is pretty consistent from batch to batch.

You've already gotten what you need (a lot of thoughtful and well written responses).  I'm at my desk reading along and think there is no reason for me to post.  But, I'm bored (waiting for a phone call) so I'll pile on here a bit.  :D

Today an uncut, unfiltered, barrel proof bourbon @$60 is a good price in any market.  For now, that's probably one of the better prices to be found for Bookers.  As Paul already mentioned, it does appear that prices are creeping back down a bit, which is a welcome relief (I'm starting to see it in the mid/upper $60's here).  However, I'll stick my neck out and also say that I don't think we'll see it dropping down to its 'pre-adjustment pricing' anytime soon. 

So yes, I'm piling on what's already been said up thread, but you could be doing a lot worse by buying some boutique bourbon that'll cost you just as much, if not more.  I'd go with the one that has a known age and providence.  Another thing, this is not the barrel proof bourbon that brought us to the dance, this is the bad boy that invented the dance!  Everyone else just followed suit.   

P. S.  (for a worthless add on)......... 

Actually I'm lying, 'cause what I'd really do is make sure to buy it and one of each of the KCSB, Stagg Jr., CEHT BP, and ECBP (if you haven't already done so).  Then you'll have what you need to make a real party out of it (and figure out which one, if any, will be your go to heavyweight:wub:)!   

Some folks prefer the bold spice brashness of the more youthful Booker's, while others enjoy the more oak and leather forward older brother.  I like them both but I am an older brother, so I only love one...;)

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

You've already gotten what you need (a lot of thoughtful and well written responses).  I'm at my desk reading along and think there is no reason for me to post.  But, I'm bored (waiting for a phone call) so I'll pile on here a bit.  :D

Today an uncut, unfiltered, barrel proof bourbon @$60 is a good price in any market.  For now, that's probably one of the better prices to be found for Bookers.  As Paul already mentioned, it does appear that prices are creeping back down a bit, which is a welcome relief (I'm starting to see it in the mid/upper $60's here).  However, I'll stick my neck out and also say that I don't think we'll see it dropping down to its 'pre-adjustment pricing' anytime soon. 

So yes, I'm piling on what's already been said up thread, but you could be doing a lot worse by buying some boutique bourbon that'll cost you just as much, if not more.  I'd go with the one that has a known age and providence.  Another thing, this is not the barrel proof bourbon that brought us to the dance, this is the bad boy that invented the dance!  Everyone else just followed suit.   

Actually I'm lying, 'cause what I'd really do is make sure to buy it and one of each of the KCSB, Stagg Jr., CEHT BP, and ECBP (if you haven't already done so).  Then you'll have what you need to make a real party out of it (and figure out which one, if any, will be your go to heavyweight:wub:)!   

Some folks prefer the bold spice brashness of the more youthful Booker's, while others enjoy the more oak and leather forward older brother.  I like them both but I am an older brother, so I only love one...;)

Very well said. Thanks

9 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I would be all over it at that price.  The last bottle I bought of it was around $60 in late summer 2016, which I purchased just after learning of the price-hike.  Since then, stores in my area have been pricing it at $100+, and I've seen it all the way up to $120.  As I mentioned in a separate post, though, people don't seem to be buying at those prices, as its still the 2016 batches or earlier on all the shelves around here, and I've noticed a few places it has crept back down to about ~$80. 

If I make it back to Bozeman to fish my favorite trout stream, the Gallatin anytime soon I will bring some bottles that I have seen priced at $55-60. For some reason Minnesota gets favorable prices on Bookers. I remember not too long ago I bought a bunch of bottles for around $35.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

This!!!

Right here.

And, if you like KCSiB, you will surely like this.

14 hours ago, Bbstout said:

If I make it back to Bozeman to fish my favorite trout stream, the Gallatin anytime soon I will bring some bottles that I have seen priced at $55-60. For some reason Minnesota gets favorable prices on Bookers. I remember not too long ago I bought a bunch of bottles for around $35.

Hells yeah, nothing like some fine bourbon to go with some fine river fishing!

On 10/29/2017 at 7:08 PM, Bourbon Fanatic said:

the fiancée was getting antsy and wanted to go :lol:

Cheers!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, that's a bad sign right there!  Any lady that rushes her man while he contemplating a bourbon purchase, I don't know if that will work or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL!

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Mule Skinner said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, that's a bad sign right there!  Any lady that rushes her man while he contemplating a bourbon purchase, I don't know if that will work or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL!

In her defense, we went to a couple liquor stores before that, so she was getting worn out. She's a trooper!

But I agree with you! Important decisions can't be rushed. 

I think it was a tactical play on her part, I think she rushed me because she knew that I don't like buying things without doing my due diligence. If she let me Google (SB.com) about it for a while, she knew I'd likely buy ANOTHER bottle... Well played!

Cheers! Jordan

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

In her defense, we went to a couple liquor stores before that, so she was getting worn out. She's a trooper!

But I agree with you! Important decisions can't be rushed. 

I think it was a tactical play on her part, I think she rushed me because she knew that I don't like buying things without doing my due diligence. If she let me Google (SB.com) about it for a while, she knew I'd likely buy ANOTHER bottle... Well played!

Cheers! Jordan

Now would be the perfect time to hint around to her, that a bottle of Bookers would be an ideal Christmas gift!  Open it at Christmas, and if you like it, great, if not, take it to a New Years Eve party the following week.  

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, Mule Skinner said:

Now would be the perfect time to hint around to her, that a bottle of Bookers would be an ideal Christmas gift!  Open it at Christmas, and if you like it, great, if not, take it to a New Years Eve party the following week.  

You are a genius! I am running low on my bottle of OF 1920 and asked her to get me one of those. I might have to ask for Booker's!

Thanks for the idea.

Cheers!

A store I buy from sent out an email today offering Bookers on sale @ $55.99.  That's where this same store sold it regularly BEFORE the price increase and is $3 above where it sold it on sale BEFORE the price increase. My rhetorical question is: Should I wait until it drops three more dollars?  My real question is: If I buy one, wehre the heck will I put since I ALREADY have six or more (ok, more than six) pre-increase Bookers on the upper shelves in the utility room.  Running out of space.

A store I buy from sent out an email today offering Bookers on sale @ $55.99.  That's where this same store sold it regularly BEFORE the price increase and is $3 above where it sold it on sale BEFORE the price increase. My rhetorical question is: Should I wait until it drops three more dollars?  My real question is: If I buy one, wehre the heck will I put since I ALREADY have six or more (ok, more than six) pre-increase Bookers on the upper shelves in the utility room.  Running out of space.

Harry, I have the same problem with Booker's. I've got a few too many already, but added a 2017-2 batch the other day, just because a local store had a price lower than any place I'd seen lately, and well below the current suggested retail price. What can I say...I like Booker's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Harry, I have the same problem with Booker's. I've got a few too many already, but added a 2017-2 batch the other day, just because a local store had a price lower than any place I'd seen lately, and well below the current suggested retail price. What can I say...I like Booker's.

Well, then.  How does the 2017-2 measure up?B)  The sale is still going on.:D

If bookers is under $70, I’m fine buying it. I can usually find it hovering at $59.99 which I think is entirely fair, and at that price it’s something I like to keep on hand. I thought the recent price hike was just as ridiculous as anyone else, and I’d never buy it over $80, but that being said, I’ve had far worse bourbons in the $80-100 range than bookers...

Well, then.  How does the 2017-2 measure up?B)  The sale is still going on.[emoji3]

I haven't tried it, and probably won't for quite a while since I have so many batches. I've got a Noe's Secret and 2013-7 batch open right now. I've not had a bad batch yet, and wasn't going to buy anymore for a while, but decided to add a 2017 batch to the bunker since the price was right. My price wasn't even as cheap as your opportunity, so I'd jump on that sale price.

13 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Harry, I know it's near impossible to get you out of a liquor store but if you'll take a few minutes there is a store called Lowe's and they have these things called "shelving units".  You'll want to get one of the heavy duty versions.  You have to put them together but you most certainly can drink bourbon while you're doing that (trust me, I know).  Once together and put in place you will find that you have expanded your storage space exponentially.  

Came across (2) 2014 BOOKER'S today. How many releases were there in 2014?  I've read tonite about a 2014-06. Was just the 2014-01 considered the 25th anniversary? 

11 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Came across (2) 2014 BOOKER'S today. How many releases were there in 2014?  I've read tonite about a 2014-06. Was just the 2014-01 considered the 25th anniversary? 

The 25th anniversary release (10 year old) was 2014-01 and had a special bottle:

bookers.jpg

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/bookers-25th-anniversary.html

2014-06 was a standard release: https://adventuresinwhiskey.com/2015/01/14/bookers-bourbon-whiskey/

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

Just a note in passing: At the Alabama ABC yesterday, Booker's is now $75. I don't know the price progression, but for years and years it was $60. I would buy it at $60, but I'll almost definitely pass at $75.

Tim

Last year when they announced the price hike I saw this in the LS for $250 and picked it up. It’ll probably last me the rest of my life.

53F01E5C-2918-47ED-B9DF-6102991BDC73.png

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, JTaylor said:

Last year when they announced the price hike I saw this in the LS for $250 and picked it up. It’ll probably last me the rest of my life.

That is pretty cool, never saw it before.

On 11/18/2017 at 10:51 AM, JTaylor said:

If you got 4 @ $250 which is about $62.50 per, that's not too bad.  Plus, unlike brocolli,  Booker's will not rot or spoil.  OTOH, it doesn't fry up well.:D

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.