Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bbstout

High West Rendevous Rye

Recommended Posts

Bbstout

I came across a bottle of HWRR on clearance for for $30 a year ago and dismissed it. I saw someone post recently that they saw another bottle on clearance so it made me worried as it is the base for one of my favorites...HWMWND. I did a SBS to determine if the MWND is worth double. Unfortunately it is. It takes out the young rough edges and smooths it out so well. Too bad as RR is half the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
13 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I came across a bottle of HWRR on clearance for for $30 a year ago and dismissed it. I saw someone post recently that they saw another bottle on clearance so it made me worried as it is the base for one of my favorites...HWMWND. I did a SBS to determine if the MWND is worth double. Unfortunately it is. It takes out the young rough edges and smooths it out so well. Too bad as RR is half the price.

RR is a pretty well aged rye being a blend of 6 and 16 (IIRC) year old rye, not many 6 plus on the market.  What other ryes do you like, it might just be that you like the way the port rounds out the spicier aspects inherent in the higher rye mashbills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bbstout
On November 15, 2017 at 11:11 AM, kevinbrink said:

RR is a pretty well aged rye being a blend of 6 and 16 (IIRC) year old rye, not many 6 plus on the market.  What other ryes do you like, it might just be that you like the way the port rounds out the spicier aspects inherent in the higher rye mashbills.

I have been loving Pikesville as well. I really like HWRR and hope they haven't run out of their stock but it can't last forever.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake

I like HWRR, unfortunately it sells locally for about $70, and I like Pikesville better which is only $50. All the HW products are priced at silly levels here, Double Rye and American Prairie are usually $45 or so. This is at stores that tend to follow typical MSRP for everything else (Stagg Jr at $53 for instance), so it seems a bit odd. Anyway, at $30 I would buy a case of HWRR.

Edited by EarthQuake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bbstout

A store by me put HW Double Rye on sale for $20. The back of the bottle says it is 2 Rye's aged for a minimum of 2 years and to check the website for more info. The website still lists 2 year MGP and 16 yr Barton. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
57 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

A store by me put HW Double Rye on sale for $20. The back of the bottle says it is 2 Rye's aged for a minimum of 2 years and to check the website for more info. The website still lists 2 year MGP and 16 yr Barton. ?

The label has changed recently.

New batches probably do not contain the old 16 year Barton rye.

You can determine from the mash recipes the likely source for each.

Older labels (this bottle is from 2014) specifically stated: 

 

1518918987879-522546464.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bbstout

I have a 14 that states 16 yr. the 2016 doesn't reference the 16 year but once again says to see the website for details.    Deceiving in my book.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
3 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I have a 14 that states 16 yr. the 2016 doesn't reference the 16 year but once again says to see the website for details.    Deceiving in my book.

If you’re not sure on the label and it’s important to you, I would suggest contacting HW directly.  Just have as much detail as possible on your particular bottle ready to share with them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bbstout
On 2/18/2018 at 7:16 PM, smokinjoe said:

If you’re not sure on the label and it’s important to you, I would suggest contacting HW directly.  Just have as much detail as possible on your particular bottle ready to share with them.  

Does anyone know how to search for a batch # on High West's website? I sent an email request with no reply. I saw some 2015 RR and want to determine if it is the 6 and 16 year or the 5 year new label.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PiraSea

The Double Rye is $34 in NC... may be the best value out there in Rye's. Its a fantastic pour and has most everyone beat on price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses
On 3/12/2018 at 9:51 PM, Bbstout said:

Does anyone know how to search for a batch # on High West's website? I sent an email request with no reply. I saw some 2015 RR and want to determine if it is the 6 and 16 year or the 5 year new label.

Ive just had to call them. I think Jen or Jenny is who they forwarded me to last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...