Whiskey Advocate- Whiskey of the Year 2017

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It always puzzles me as to why my favorite bourbon never seems to be chosen as bourbon/whiskey of the year. :huh:

Joe

so i don't think they count home blends. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I have! Palates differ. At least as far as my own preference is concerned A was my least favorite of the three.

But none of them are even close to some of the early batches.

I will line em up and do a blind SBS and report back. Hopefully I can bring in another taster or two. In the SF competition this April they registered the A batch. Minnick has his take on his site. Apparently it came down to the EC A and the underdog Barrel Bourbon 11 and the rest is history. What might have been with the others to choose from? Especially since better palettes than mine favor others. 

Being OCD...I did another SBS. A117 again. Tastes like salted caramel ice cream going down smooth for its proof. I don't care that I am in the minority and am going to pick up the last bottle I saw tomorrow.

Anyway EC BP might be the consensus winner for 2017? Now in 6 years the best barrels will be bottled as EC 18. 2023 could be worth the wait!!!

9 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Anyway EC BP might be the consensus winner for 2017? Now in 6 years the best barrels will be bottled as EC 18. 2023 could be worth the wait!!!

Ive always heard wheat peaks at 12 and the 18 and 23 are not nearly as tasty. More of a question than a declaration.

At the Whiskies of the World tasting earlier this month the EC18 was my favorite of the night, followed by he ECBP C917. 

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Ive always heard wheat peaks at 12 and the 18 and 23 are not nearly as tasty. More of a question than a declaration.

EC isn't wheated so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Also, Papy Van Winkle 15yr might have a thing or two to say about wheat peaking at 12.

5 hours ago, flahute said:

EC isn't wheated so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Also, Papy Van Winkle 15yr might have a thing or two to say about wheat peaking at 12.

Sorry.. you are correct..really long day at work . 

8 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

so i don't think they count home blends. 

I knew I was missing something. :lol:

11 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Being OCD...I did another SBS. A117 again. Tastes like salted caramel ice cream going down smooth for its proof. I don't care that I am in the minority and am going to pick up the last bottle I saw tomorrow.

Nothing wrong with being in the minority! I have certainly been there before (WT Masters Keep 17 comes to mind). It just comes down to individual palate preference. I don't think A117 is ever likely to be one of my favorites after several blind SBS tries and none of the three new ones can stand up to some of the earlier batches for me. But that doesn't mean someone can't feel just the opposite!

No matter how wrong they are... :D

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Sorry.. you are correct..really long day at work . 

Happens to all of us.

I think this is a deserving title, especially when excluding all the different limited editions. FWIW I've had 3 different batches of ECBP, 139.4, A117 and B517. I thought that A117 was marginally better than 139.4, but overall I don't think there was much between them. I was too drunk to remember just how good B517 was after I opened it last Friday, but I know I liked it, and too hungover to give it a try for the rest of the weekend.

In general, I wouldn't expect the quality to change too much from batch to batch, especially considering from one batch to the next they were under the same aging conditions for ~11.75 years. On the one hand increased demand can strain supply causing the quality of the barrels to be broadened, however on the other hand eliminating the AS on the EC12 frees up more barrels to choose from.

I thought the earlier batches, #1 and #3, were the most stellar.  However, I still believe the new A117 and B517 stack up well to similarly priced and even higher priced bottles.  

I agree with the concern that this will now impact availability (already difficult) and possibly price.  Some stores were already allocating and marking up significantly, now they have the "whiskey of the year" on their hands and future bottles will be from the same distiller and brand as the "whiskey of the year."  

I would much prefer Beam White or EW Black to be named "whiskey of the year."

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dango said:

Got one. 

4G.jpg.02df5f7a966118e7d6b8a4f0dda76057.jpg

Congratulations!  Nice get.  I'll be interested in hearing how you like it, when you get around to cracking it open.

13 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

Congratulations!  Nice get.  I'll be interested in hearing how you like it, when you get around to cracking it open.

Sure will. Thanks

Tasted the B517 out of a freshly opened bottle, and was very unimpressed. Hoping it tastes better after some time. For me, my favorite is still the 139.4 proofed, old series.

37 minutes ago, RussianBourbonLover said:

Tasted the B517 out of a freshly opened bottle, and was very unimpressed. Hoping it tastes better after some time. For me, my favorite is still the 139.4 proofed, old series.

I agree about the 139.4 batch. My other favorite is from a while ago- the Hazmat batch at 140 something was stellar

• I like it 1

I really can't argue with this selection.  I have found all batches to be extremely good, and consistently one of the best regular release BP offerings around.  

• I like it 1

I really can't argue with this selection.  I have found all batches to be extremely good, and consistently one of the best regular release BP offerings around.  

Joe, I know I probably haven't tried as many batches as you have, but I still have to agree with your statement...ECBP is one of my favorite bourbons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

5 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Joe, I know I probably haven't tried as many batches as you have, but I still have to agree with your statement...ECBP is one of my favorite bourbons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HH's body of work is A+ with this label!  

• I like it 2

All these good words about B517 makes me want to crack mine open. I want to wait though...

Since this was the year that I REALLY got into bourbon (I've been drinking it for years, but just started really getting into it and bunkering this year) I thought it would be cool to get all (4) batches from this year to open at the same time to SBS.

I also want to save all (4) bottles and maybe do something cool with them to commemorate this special year.

I have an A117 and B517, just need the last (2) batches.

Cheers!

I received an email today that one of the local chains was allowing customers to reserve bottles.  I don't know if they have it in stock, have more coming in or are ordering more.  I find it interesting that they still have or are getting more of this batch since there has been a release since it came out.  I ended up with 3 bottles from a less frequent smaller chain.  I find the sweet spot around 105 proof.

All these good words about B517 makes me want to crack mine open. I want to wait though...

Since this was the year that I REALLY got into bourbon (I've been drinking it for years, but just started really getting into it and bunkering this year) I thought it would be cool to get all (4) batches from this year to open at the same time to SBS.

I also want to save all (4) bottles and maybe do something cool with them to commemorate this special year.

I have an A117 and B517, just need the last (2) batches.

Cheers!

I’m pretty sure they are only having three releases in 2017, and that may be the standard release schedule going forward. I expect the next batch to be A118.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.