Old Charter 8 year making a comeback?

Jfletchgu
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It was brought up in another topic by SB.com member Fasterhorses saying he spoke to a lady at a LS who stated she just recently got in some OC8 with age statements on them. Rather than hijack that thread I figured I would start a new topic. Tonight I purchased a 200ml OC8 AS and on the bottom is 17. Could OC8 AS be making a comeback or is there some other explanation?

15111382569871135635473.jpg

15111383454991795947991.jpg

The 1Litre only has "Aged 8 Years" on the neck band. Didnt the okd ones have it across the front of the label as well?  I may put a call in to BT tomorrow. 

Highly, highly doubt it's making a comeback. This is likely a case of some old stock being found by the distributor. 

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

Highly, highly doubt it's making a comeback. This is likely a case of some old stock being found by the distributor. 

Your probably right, but the 17 on the bottom of the bottle really confuses me because if I remember correctly it was around 2014 when OC8 lost its age.

I am far from an expert, but don't believe numbers actually in glass on a bottle relate to the year of production.  I know that ER10 has ink markings with some kind of code indicating barrel/batch.

According to BT phonecall there is a lazer printed code at the bottom of the label on the back . It will start with a L or a B for Bardstown or Louisville. The year will be after the L or B. Then the day of the year or julian date. Ill check mine at home but if jfletch or someone else can check before me.. that will determine if this is old stock. They said they would be interested in knowing. Maybe its neither and its new OC with an old label???

Sometimes numbers on the bottom of the bottle correlate to year it was bottled.  Other times it doesn't.  Another SB member once suggested using magnification of smart phone camera to read laser code.

Well I couldnt figure out the laser code on the 200ml, but here is my 750ml and there is clearly a B17 code with the neck label showing the "aged 8 years".

1511305092115-362465648.jpg

1511305114603708758497.jpg

4 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Well I couldnt figure out the laser code on the 200ml, but here is my 750ml and there is clearly a B17 code with the neck label showing the "aged 8 years".

1511305092115-362465648.jpg

1511305114603708758497.jpg

Now that is interesting, first thing I noticed in looking at this is that on the old bottles, IIRC, the age statement was on the lower 8 and the top 8 had the flowery stuff.

Please note that any response from BT that you post here is subject to peer review...  

Best regards,

DICK 

;)

• I like it 4

I checked the 375ml but im pretty sure thats old stock. The only laser code on it was just a bunch of numbers (starting with 1187) that did not appear to correlate to a date. No "B" or "L" on it.

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Please note that any response from BT that you post here is subject to peer review...  

Best regards,

DICK 

;)

Surely they should have posted the question on the site for review BEFORE they even contacted BT!!!??? :angry:

(in all seriousness this thread is intriguing me to no end)

45 minutes ago, Theiano said:

Surely they should have posted the question on the site for review BEFORE they even contacted BT!!!??? :angry:

Yeah.  Disrespectful, ain't it?!?!  New guy...

:D

Am I mistaken or don't the newer bottles also say "matured for 8 seasons" on the bottle label (and everyone was complaining about that), but this one says "matured for many seasons"?

So far Im getting the runaround. Although she was nice about it..they are ignorant or playing like they are. Both people ive spoken to, deny knowledge of the class action lawsuit when the aged 8 years was removed. She told me the neck label with age statement was in fact put on the first batch of 2017 bottles and told me my bottly was “legit”. Whatever that means. I asked for clarification if it had 8 year bourbon in it and she said unconvincingly “it should”. She said the current OC8 is just under 8 years like 7 yrs and a few months. I politely said no.. and that it was changed to a teo year bourbon after age stmt was removed. I told her about the label being changed to aged eight seasons. She finally surrendered and said “ you know more about it than me”. I currently have an email in to her boss and product manager. If i turn up missing, was nice knowin ya!

• I like it 4

The real question is if they are that ignorant about their product what purpose do they serve answering the phone.

The real question is if they are that ignorant about their product what purpose do they serve answering the phone.

Ha what a great post. Maybe most calls aren't from bourbon dorks like us.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone get a straight answer to this?  I just came across the same 1 liter bottle with the 8 year age statement on the neck. Same B17 number on the bottle

11 minutes ago, xpq45 said:

Did anyone get a straight answer to this?  I just came across the same 1 liter bottle with the 8 year age statement on the neck. Same B17 number on the bottle

Of all the things Sazerac could do right now, bringing back an 8 year age statement on a bottom shelf brand is not one of them.

• I like it 1

I just found a bunch of the age-stated stuff here in Texas.  Might have to buy a bottle tomorrow to try it out - $13/750ml IIRC.   :D

• I like it 1

On 11/30/2017 at 4:35 PM, Jfletchgu said:

Or, if they are that uninformed about their own product, why would you trust anything they say over the phone, not in writing?  And if you can't trust that, then how can you trust what's in the bottle, labels, phone calls, or in writing?  Which brings up a question I've wanted to ask:  How can you prove the age of a bourbon?  Any kind of verification test?

1 hour ago, musekatcher said:

Or, if they are that uninformed about their own product, why would you trust anything they say over the phone, not in writing?  And if you can't trust that, then how can you trust what's in the bottle, labels, phone calls, or in writing?  Which brings up a question I've wanted to ask:  How can you prove the age of a bourbon?  Any kind of verification test?

...A chemical sort of test?   I don't think so.    Any others have some insight here?

I'll hazard my opinion in lieu of fact and say definitively: no such test exists (or could be devised).    I of course, await correction by anybody who knows otherwise.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.