Old Charter 8 year making a comeback?

Jfletchgu
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, musekatcher said:

Or, if they are that uninformed about their own product, why would you trust anything they say over the phone, not in writing?  And if you can't trust that, then how can you trust what's in the bottle, labels, phone calls, or in writing?  Which brings up a question I've wanted to ask:  How can you prove the age of a bourbon?  Any kind of verification test?

Well, it is the distillery’s responsibility to be able to prove that they are complying with the TTB rules regarding statements of age. And it’s the TTB’s responsibility to enforce those rules. To be able to “prove” they have complied the distilleries are supposed to keep accurate records on their production off the stills as well as bottling. These same records are also what drove the taxation of the spirits and my suspicion is that the TTB more closely monitors the situation from that perspective. Essentially the distillery can’t bottle something with a certain age statement without having paid the appropriate taxes along the way without potentially running into trouble. I have some confidence that Uncle Sam wants his taxes.

Now are their still people cheating the system and mislabeling stuff for illicit profits? I’m sure there has been or is to some degree but that’s just like whether you believe 100% of the organic vegetables you buy at the store were truly grown 100% organic. I doubt 100% with anything where humans have to be honest. It’s not like the dumped barrels have to be kept to prove ages after they are dumped. Plus an unscrupulous person could sand off a barrel head and re-label it with an older date, etc. but again then it potentially wouldn’t match there books and records in the event of a TTB audit, which they are supposed to do periodically.

Now could a test exist to date a whiskey? I mean, they can use carbon dating to determine the ages of fossils, but I assume that sort of testing is extremely expensive. Plus, if you tried to carbon date dehydrated solids from a barrel of whiskey, would it date the material extracted from the wood (which would probably tell you it was 100 years old since mature oaks used for barrels are pretty old) or would it determine the age of the grain that had been distilled? Contrary to popular belief I’m not a scientist so who knows. I just know that I tend to think certain companies and people in this industry, like most industries to some degree, are scumbags. I will just try to avoid buying products from said scumbags, and assume that most of the majors aren’t going to risk reputations and billions of revenue trying to cheat age statements. Ignorance is bliss sometimes. 

All of the communications from BT on this matter was thorough and positive. It ultimately seemed to me like a labeling mistake although I never got an official report of their findings. I never got the impression that it was anything other than that. Nothing unscrupulous and every communication was replied to quickly and respectfully. No distrust or mistrust as there seems to be way too much at stake for this to have been intentional. Ill just hve to keep searching for an age stated OC8.. which luckily i enjoy the hunt

15 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I just found a bunch of the age-stated stuff here in Texas.  Might have to buy a bottle tomorrow to try it out - $13/750ml IIRC.   :D

Ha ha - what a dummy!  I went back to grab a bottle this morning and double checked the label.  It said "8" not "8 year".  Of course it did - NAS now.  Bummer and semi-false advertising.  Too good to be true . . . . . .  :angry:

9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

It ultimately seemed to me like a labeling mistake although I never got an official report of their findings.

I'm glad they aren't in the pharmaceutical business, or food industry. 

54 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

I'm glad they aren't in the pharmaceutical business, or food industry. 

Whiskey is both a drug and a food so they kind of are.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, flahute said:

In that case, thankful its a self-disinfectant. 

14 hours ago, flahute said:

Good, it's nearly dinnertime here in the UK

• I like it 2

58 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Um, does that mean I have a problem?  I was hungry and had a headache so . . .

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Isn't it about time you get your ass back to work?  :rolleyes:

• I like it 1

Just now, Paddy said:

Isn't it about time you get your ass back to work?  :rolleyes:

2-3 weeks of fading paradise left, Paddy :)

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

2-3 weeks of fading paradise left, Paddy :)

Drink up while you can my friend!

• I like it 1

A local store claimed to have "found" a couple cases of age stated 8 year OC and put them out for sale on a 1 per customer basis.  $20 for 1L bottles. They sold out in a day or two.  They still have a bunch of the "8" bottles but the "Age 8 Years" bottles are gone. These "dusties" were labeled with a 2017 laser code.  I think BT has some splainin to do.  

35 minutes ago, Clueby said:

A local store claimed to have "found" a couple cases of age stated 8 year OC and put them out for sale on a 1 per customer basis.  $20 for 1L bottles. They sold out in a day or two.  They still have a bunch of the "8" bottles but the "Age 8 Years" bottles are gone. These "dusties" were labeled with a 2017 laser code.  I think BT has some splainin to do.  

Sounds like they found some old labels and decided to use them. 

3 hours ago, flahute said:

No wonder they wouldn't give me any of the old ER 10 neck band labels (laying around the last time I was there).

They must be planning to "use them up" on future "dusties".

5 hours ago, flahute said:

I thought it was pointed out earlier that these recent bottles/labels are different than the older age stated labels?

There are still a lot of 2014 OC8's on the shelves. It's good mixing bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.