So... what exactly is Tincup Whiskey?

justataste
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's sourced bourbon, and not bad for the price. I was given a bottle a few years ago as a gift, and have long since finished the bottle. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, justataste said:

So it is actually bourbon.  Well, that is a plus.

Well, it's not a "bourbon" but it is a blend of American whiskies.  As its website says, aged high rye whiskey from Indiana (virtually certain to be from MGP) is blended with "a small amount of Colorado single malt whiskey".  Jess Graber, a longtime distiller in Colorado (who has a connection - past for sure but present, I don't know - with Stranahan's) makes it.  It is at least 4 years old.  Hence, I'd put it, like the TTB does, in the "real whiskey" column so it is not (supposed to be ) flavored vodka or artificially colored (and knowing a little about Jess Graber's history, I have no reason to doubt its authenticity).

Edited by Harry in WashDC

So it is actually bourbon.  Well, that is a plus.

Well it starts out as bourbon, and then they blend it with a little malt whiskey (Stranahan's is what I think they use). Here's a clip from their webpage:

"TINCUP is a blend of two great American whiskeys, each aged in #3 charred oak barrels. “High rye” bourbon, distilled and aged in Indiana, is blended with a small amount of Colorado single malt whiskey. These whiskeys are then cut with Rocky Mountain water. TINCUP is named for the Colorado mining pioneers and the tin cups from which they drank their whiskey."

Just another NDP

I pass. 

My LLS owner showed me yet another "fancy, new" NDP bottle today.  MGP juice for $60/bottle.  I smiled politely and carried off my ECBP

Just another NDP
I pass. 

My LLS owner showed me yet another "fancy, new" NDP bottle today.  MGP juice for $60/bottle.  I smiled politely and carried off my ECBP

Tin Cup is at least a blend, so it's not just purchased bulk whiskey put in bottles and sold under their name. Their pricing isn't ridiculous either. If I recall correctly, Tin Cup sells for around $30, and sometimes even under $30. It's not stellar whiskey, but it's decent, and worth a look if you're looking for something a bit different and haven't tried it.

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Tin Cup is at least a blend, so it's not just purchased bulk whiskey put in bottles and sold under their name. Their pricing isn't ridiculous either. If I recall correctly, Tin Cup sells for around $30, and sometimes even under $30. It's not stellar whiskey, but it's decent, and worth a look if you're looking for something a bit different and haven't tried it.

That malt component sort of discouraged me from trying Tincup. I STILL have bad taste memories of the WR classic vs. modern malt releases from a couple of years ago.  OTOH, my bottle of HW's Campfire went down pretty easily although I did not buy a replacement.  Tincup's tasting notes read like a distillery press release.   Any thoughts you'd like to share?  In the meantime, I'm going to search SB for older comments.  TIA.

Harry

My recollection is that Tincup makes a blend from MGP that is mostly high rye bourbon with just a little of the mid range 20% rye bourbon to create a mashbill slightly below the regular MGP high rye bourbon. I thought that early on Tincup was all MGP and began adding the Stranahan's to it later on. But I am not completely sure if that was true or they just didn't talk much about it at the start.

Of course they didn't say much about MGP either in their heavily Colorado themed advertising to begin with and I don't think the bottle said Indiana anywhere on it in the beginning either! Although my recollection is that whenever Graber was asked he did not hide the fact that it was sourced from MGP. So kind of mixed marks at best for transparency on that one.

11 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

That malt component sort of discouraged me from trying Tincup. I STILL have bad taste memories of the WR classic vs. modern malt releases from a couple of years ago.  OTOH, my bottle of HW's Campfire went down pretty easily although I did not buy a replacement.  Tincup's tasting notes read like a distillery press release.   Any thoughts you'd like to share?  In the meantime, I'm going to search SB for older comments.  TIA.

Harry

Harry, It's been awhile since I finished my bottle of Tin Cup, and I'm horrible at giving detailed tasting notes anyway, but I will say that if I hadn't read that they blended a small amount of malt whiskey in it, I'm not sure that I would have detected it. It pretty much tastes like bourbon, and given that you are a lover of high rye bourbons, you'll probably like it. Of course you'll have to figure out how you're going to get it past the Mrs. if you decide to buy a bottle. 

• I like it 1

That malt in the mix is news to me, too. I remember reading through their website when this was first released, and getting completely turned off by their constant yapping about how wonderful their Colorado water is.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.