Most You Would Pay For A 750ml Bottle?

Saul_cooperstein
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 hours ago, GeeTen said:

The VABC website made it easy, too easy.  I'm so weak . . . . .  :wacko:

I love their website. It makes shopping so easy. :D

• I like it 1

My upper limit has been steadily rising.  When I first returned to the pursuit of bourbon zen @ 3 or so years ago I thought $30 was mighty pricy, but that yielded to $40 and eventually morphed to the  $50-ish range with a bottle of WRdblO.   That, combined with several handle purchases of discontinued EC12 and 8yr RR, made the jump to a $65 bottle of Blantons much easier.  That in turn led to a $75 Diagio Orphan FO find in Bullpucky MD, which resulted in the easy rationalization of $98 for Rhetoric 23yr ($5/yr for FO vs @ $4/yr for R? What a savings!!).   So now I've found I really like oak bombs, which doesn't bode well for my wallet...  If I ever stumble on another Orphan R hanging around the century mark it's coming home, or possibly  some other very LE 15+ yr opportunity as well.  I don't foresee me going much further into 3 digit territory though, as that would be completely insane for me (and my wallet)....  Then again, at the pre-Xmas lottery I attended this year, I briefly  pondered the thought of solo bottles of  PVW15 or PVW 20 at retail (@ $120 & $180 IIRC), should my ticket impossibly emerge first or second....  It didn't thank goodness, and so a crisis averted...

I usually buy a $100 plus bottle a year or so but I don’t think I’d go too much above that. I think my most expensive bottle so far is Wild Turkey Diamond.

The most I have spent was about $130, OB Rhetoric 23, Lock Stock & Barrel 13 and 16 were in that range. Getting over $100 tends to be hard to justify, there are so many good options in the $40-80 range. That said I will probably seek out another Rhetoric 23 when I finish this bottle. Barterhouse is basically an instant buy for $100 or less too (shipping and/or tax included).

I would spend retail or a little more on any of the Pappy line if I had a chance, but it's unlikely I would get the opportunity. I would probably go up to $150-200 for some of the BTAC line if I saw them at a store, but won't pay the crazy secondary prices.

I've also considered spending $200-ish on bottles like Hibiki/Nikka 17 or some of the Kavalan special editions. I tend to gravitate more towards bourbon and rye though so those are tough justifications to make.

Depends on the Bottle.  I rarely eclipse $100 for a bottle.   I usually a lot myself 1 or 2 bottles in the $150 range for my Birthday and one at Christmas.   However, if I was offered a PVW 20 or 23 at MSRP, i am sure I would make an exception. 

Most expensive Bottles to Date:

Balvenie 21 Portwood

Macallan 18yo

Highland Park 18yo

Don Julio 1942

Casa Noble Anejo Single Barrel

PVW 20

PHC 11 

Mitcher's 10yo

Bookers 25

For What it is worth.  All on this list were phenomenal and imho worth the price tag.

7 minutes ago, GreggJ said:

Depends on the Bottle.  I rarely eclipse $100 for a bottle.   I usually a lot myself 1 or 2 bottles in the $150 range for my Birthday and one at Christmas.   However, if I was offered a PVW 20 or 23 at MSRP, i am sure I would make an exception. 

Most expensive Bottles to Date:

Balvenie 21 Portwood

Macallan 18yo

Highland Park 18yo

Don Julio 1942

Casa Noble Anejo Single Barrel

PVW 20

PHC 11 

Mitcher's 10yo

Bookers 25

For What it is worth.  All on this list were phenomenal and imho worth the price tag.

Scotch is a different ballgame altogether where most core range 18 year olds are near $200 or eclipsing that significantly when they used to be 30-40-50% cheaper not too long ago.  Just an observation and not intended to hijack the thread (this would be a good topic in the Foreign Whisky section too)

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.