Most You Would Pay For A 750ml Bottle?

Saul_cooperstein
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My “bunker”, such as it is, is made more of the volume of bottles of different brands and all styles of “brown water” rather than lots of backups of the same things. Although as I get the chance to help pick more barrels I tend to end up with multiples of those barrels!

My philosophy on buying is similar to that expressed by BigRich on page 1. My purchases are all at retail or relatively close to it. I have spent the $300 for Bookers Rye which I think is my top American whiskey. I have spent more on a few scotches but still basically it was at or near retail when I did it. I have found less value in spending a lot for Scotch these days so I tend to focus on a few favorites like Compass Box (which can still be pretty spendy!). 

Don’t dabble in the secondary market at all and I never have. I did make a few trades early on mostly with other SB members but now if I trade it is usually just samples of various things. 

I also think many of the bunkers here were built by long time veterans who have been around much longer than I have when “the good stuff” was more regularly available. Some may play the secondary game but perhaps fewer than one may think.

Still buy way more than I drink (because I have no impulse control...) but the current plan remains to drink (and share) what I have!

• I like it 2

My “bunker”, such as it is, is made more of the volume of bottles of different brands and all styles of “brown water” rather than lots of backups of the same things. Although as I get the chance to help pick more barrels I tend to end up with multiples of those barrels!

My philosophy on buying is similar to that expressed by BigRich on page 1. My purchases are all at retail or relatively close to it. I have spent the $300 for Bookers Rye which I think is my top American whiskey. I have spent more on a few scotches but still basically it was at or near retail when I did it. I have found less value in spending a lot for Scotch these days so I tend to focus on a few favorites like Compass Box (which can still be pretty spendy!). 

Don’t dabble in the secondary market at all and I never have. I did make a few trades early on mostly with other SB members but now if I trade it is usually just samples of various things. 

I also think many of the bunkers here were built by long time veterans who have been around much longer than I have when “the good stuff” was more regularly available. Some may play the secondary game but perhaps fewer than one may think.

Still buy way more than I drink (because I have no impulse control...) but the current plan remains to drink (and share) what I have!

As usual Bruce, you added a depth of thought and eloquence to my earlier notion that I couldn't begin convey.

So in the spirit of Internet forums and social media .....

^^^^^
+1
I Agree
What he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk about faulty assumptions. I don't really care how someone builds up a bunker, for the purposes of THIS THREAD we're talking about people who have built them up one way or the other and what they will spend to do so. They had to open their wallets whether it's at their neighborhood LS or the secondary market. Whether you're talking todays dollars or last century, the high quality bourbons in those bunker photos cost more than JB now or then. So to wrap it up, I'm not casting aspersions or being judgemental on how someone acquires bourbon it's discussing your dollar limits when pursuing bourbon. The end. [emoji6]

This thread is about how much someone is willing to spend on a bottle, NOT how much they’ve spent on their bunker. You brought the bunker size into this discussion in an earlier post in the thread. That post gave me, and some others, the impression that you assumed that there had to be some forum members willing to be big spenders on single bottles in order to build bunkers of the size and quality that some have achieved. All I am trying to say is that bunker size/quality and lower bottle price limits aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive.

I also never said or assumed that you were casting aspersions or being judgmental...but I do think you were drawing the wrong conclusions. Sorry if I offended you in any way, because that was not my intention either.

• I like it 2

The most I've currently spent is $199 for a Macallan 21.  But that was back in 2010 and before I really got into bourbon.

Over the past year my mind has definitely shifted a little as I had a couple opportunities to purchase Booker's Rye @ $300 and turned it down.  I just entered a VA ABC lottery last week and would purchase the same bottle now.  I think that's likely very near the top of my limit.  To date the best bourbon I have ever tasted was a 2015 WLW and I know I would gladly pay $300 for that, but I can't imagine I would go past that.  

21 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

This thread is about how much someone is willing to spend on a bottle, NOT how much they’ve spent on their bunker. You brought the bunker size into this discussion in an earlier post in the thread. That post gave me, and some others, the impression that you assumed that there had to be some forum members willing to be big spenders on single bottles in order to build bunkers of the size and quality that some have achieved. All I am trying to say is that bunker size/quality and lower bottle price limits aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive.

I also never said or assumed that you were casting aspersions or being judgmental...but I do think you were drawing the wrong conclusions. Sorry if I offended you in any way, because that was not my intention either.

Oh, now we're getting into peni . . . I mean bunker envy.  My bunker is bigger than your bunker, Nani nani boo boo! :);)

• I like it 2

Oh, now we're getting into peni . . . I mean bunker envy.  My bunker is bigger than your bunker, Nani nani boo boo! [emoji4][emoji6]

DCFan is the one who appears to have bunker envy...perhaps quoting his posts would have been more appropriate than quoting my post.
  • I like it 2

Top of the mark for an American whiskey up to now has been $175 for this years PHC and prior to that was $125 for Lot B (regrettable to me). I have a hard time going much over retail because ultimately above $100 it tends to be diminishing returns already. I'm even more of a value shopper when it comes to scotch where the most I have ever spent is probably $80, it helps that my area isn't really picked over so finding well priced dusty indie bottled Single Malts is pretty easy. 

5 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

DCFan is the one who appears to have bunker envy...perhaps quoting his posts would have been more appropriate than quoting my post.

Too lazy to do a multi quote.  I was just kidding anyway.  Didn't mean to offend.

Too lazy to do a multi quote.  I was just kidding anyway.  Didn't mean to offend.

You didn't offend...just seemed odd why my post was quoted given your response...have a good one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The most I have paid to date is $170 for Pappy 20 at retail.  The most I would consider paying, at least today, for a bottle for personal consumption is maybe up to $150.  The one exception is if I could find a bottle of Booker's Rye at $300...I would definitely buy it.

Now with that said I like to invest in stuff.  I'm not a flipper nor do I hunt anymore, but if something fell in my lap that I thought I could either sell and make money on or trade for something I really want I would go above the limits stated above.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:59 AM, DCFan said:

Amen! It's nice to be able to spring for things like this and share it with special friends/relatives who can appreciate this for what it is and not ask for it in a mixer as if it was on par with JB.

Now that made me smile.  I think I would freak if I shared George T Stagg and someone mixed it with ginger ale.  I guess you have to know which friends appreciate great bourbon.

BTW: Please allow me to follow up on this tread.  The local that sold me this loves bourbon.  Many (many) years ago he pushed me to by my first bottle of Pappy for $50, which I thought was nuts until I tried it.  (It was a gift for my Uncle)  I never would have spent that on myself.  Anyway, I digress.  The local said he had  never tasted George T Stagg.  He asked me if it was worth it.  I had an opened a bottle to celebrate to celebrate with a friend.  I went down yesterday with two glasses.  We both pour a small dram.  He sipped it straight and loved it.  I told him to add two drops of water.  His face lit up.  He said it was one of the best bourbons he had ever tasted.  To my surprise, he had a second bottle.  He said he wasn't sure if wanted to sell it or keep it for himself. 

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2017 at 12:22 AM, Harry in WashDC said:

Some WT RB 375s @ $13 were right next to it, and next to THEM were a whole bunch of Blanton's grenades. 

I found two of the WT RB 375's for $15 in va ABC at full price, and they wanted $45 for the 750 ON SALE.  They do the same backwards pricing with Blanton's as well.  What's up with that?

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, marshbound said:

I found two of the WT RB 375's for $15 in va ABC at full price, and they wanted $45 for the 750 ON SALE.  They do the same backwards pricing with Blanton's as well.  What's up with that?

I've never seen 375ml of Blanton's before. That would be awesome!

5 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Two horses for less $ than one!  (for you collectors out there, you know who you are)

EDIT:  A quick check of the Va ABC site confirms, 375 for $27.99 ea. and 750 for $59.99

Edited by marshbound
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

AND, they do look like a dented baseball - hence the nickname "grenade".  They make wonderful gifts if you aren't really sure the recipient likes bourbon.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
remove and unfortunate typo

2 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

AND, they do look like a dented baseball - hence the nickname "grenade".  They make wonderful gifts if you aren't really sure the recipient likes bourbon.

I wish I could find these! 

3 hours ago, marshbound said:

Two horses for less $ than one!  (for you collectors out there, you know who you are)

EDIT:  A quick check of the Va ABC site confirms, 375 for $27.99 ea. and 750 for $59.99

VA ABC definitely has some weird pricing.  I've bought both the 375's of Blanton's and WTRB.  I remember seeing the Rare Breed in the store and going to my phone to check if it was right.

Edited by JoeTerp

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

From my VABC haul last March:

VABC Bourbon Haul.jpg

Couldn't resist the little cuties, so I bought the whole set - all eight (8) "horseys" for less than the price of four (4) 750's.  Only took the trip to a couple of stores!  The VABC website made it easy, too easy.  I'm so weak . . . . .  :wacko:

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

To some extent this thread is about how we define value. For me, value is relative. Time and convenience are two things I value highly. While I wouldn’t mind spending time hunting down limited releases or cultivating store relationships, my circumstances don’t allow for that. Paying more through secondary pricing is a convenience tax I’m willing to pay. It helps that I’m not a collector and tend to buy one bottle at a time. 

I also think the perception of value in bourbon needs to change. For years it was very clearly under valued. As such, people’s perception of value is influenced by past pricing. If I bought a bottle of PVW23 for $100 in 2007 (I did this), why is it now worth 23-25x that amount? Clearly that’s an extreme, outlier example, but the point is that the market has changed fundamentally. Just a fact of life. 

Anyway to answer the question, I might spend high 3 figures for a rare, discontinued bourbon or rye I was unlikely to find again. For in production limited releases (WLW, GTS) I’m more likely to just to go my local bar and try a pour and then hope I someday see it in a store for 2-3x MSRP. 

• I like it 1

Great thread topic, and one I have asked myself off and on.

Right now I have been trying to decide if I want to splurge 200$ on a Rosebank 15. It's been languishing at my local for some years now. Maybe an offer is in order...

Having said that, a few years back I spent $300 on a Pappy 23. That firmly put the perspective on the 15 year old being more in my wheelhouse for 75$ (at that time)

Generally,  staying in the $35 to 80$ range and being very happy with the results. Snagging a honey barrel of Rebel Yell 10 and going back for a couple more of same barrel at $50 each was nirvana for me. I'll take it where I can find it these days. Same with the OF 1920. Not sure of subsequent batches, but the first batch they tossed out was a winner, also around $50.

Picked up another MK Decades at 135$  Good stuff and better I thought than the 17yo previous.

A month ago I did the $130 for KC 25th. Still have not tasted, but been meaning to. I've been tempted by the Compass Box Spice Tree newest release. And the Lagavulin 12 2017 batch. Same for the Glenmorangie Astar. All with stellar reviews. All over 100$ each. Ouch Truth is I don't drink much Scotch lately, so it needs to be pretty unique in a good way to get my cash

It looks like lately my top-out price has been 135$

6 minutes ago, RWBadley said:

Great thread topic, and one I have asked myself off and on.

Right now I have been trying to decide if I want to splurge 200$ on a Rosebank 15. It's been languishing at my local for some years now. Maybe an offer is in order...

Having said that, a few years back I spent $300 on a Pappy 23. That firmly put the perspective on the 15 year old being more in my wheelhouse for 75$ (at that time)

Generally,  staying in the $35 to 80$ range and being very happy with the results. Snagging a honey barrel of Rebel Yell 10 and going back for a couple more of same barrel at $50 each was nirvana for me. I'll take it where I can find it these days. Same with the OF 1920. Not sure of subsequent batches, but the first batch they tossed out was a winner, also around $50.

Picked up another MK Decades at 135$  Good stuff and better I thought than the 17yo previous.

A month ago I did the $130 for KC 25th. Still have not tasted, but been meaning to. I've been tempted by the Compass Box Spice Tree newest release. And the Lagavulin 12 2017 batch. Same for the Glenmorangie Astar. All with stellar reviews. All over 100$ each. Ouch Truth is I don't drink much Scotch lately, so it needs to be pretty unique in a good way to get my cash

It looks like lately my top-out price has been 135$

Glenmo Astar is pretty damn good as is the Lag 12, if i had to pick one it would be the Lagavulin, in truth though 1. I love Islay's appreciably more than unpeated Highlands 2. The NAS nature of Astar bugs me for the price tag, though here the prices aren't as close, the Lag is $125ish and the Astar I picked up for $89. 

I have spent about $3600 over the past 60 days.  The most I have spent on a single bottle is $250.  I'll spend $140 a bottle any day.  IF the right bottle came up, I might spend $500-600.

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Glenmo Astar is pretty damn good as is the Lag 12, if i had to pick one it would be the Lagavulin, in truth though 1. I love Islay's appreciably more than unpeated Highlands 2. The NAS nature of Astar bugs me for the price tag, though here the prices aren't as close, the Lag is $125ish and the Astar I picked up for $89. 

Thanks for the tip. I loves me some Islay... Linda won't touch it, so she doesn't much see the point. I saw the Lag 12 for 120 and the Astar here is 90ish I think. The Compass box is 135$ so that becomes a bit harder sale- though I tasted it and it was really good...

There was a day when I wouldn't mind dropping $500 if it was special. However, these days I cap it off at $60. There's just too much good I can do with the other $440. Not to mention there's too much temptation to sell secondary for much higher.

some wt101 & wtrb I'm happy.

Edited by CB.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.