Help with bourbon selection

Blackkeno
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I intend to make a purchase from Sam's during their sale. They have several premium bourbon's that I haven't tried and would be interested in your recommendations. For reference, some of my favorate bourbons are: Stagg, Blanton's, Kentucky Spirit, the EW vintages, and Van Winkle (in fact I like almost all premium wheaters). FWIW, I also like Gentleman's Jack and Sazerac Rye too. A highly regarded item that is not my favorate is OFBB('03).

Here are some of the items I'm considering. I would appreciate your opinions and why as well as why not.

Black Maple Hill (#144) 14yo

Elijah Craig 18yo

Jefferson Reserve

Rock Hill

Van Winkle Lot B

Blackkeno,

I have all the bottles you list except for the VanWinkle Lot B (what, a VW product I DON'T have?) and all are excellent choices IMHO. Some here have had bad experiences with one or two of them, but I find all have their own distinctive tastes that I thoroughly enjoy. And the middle three bottles are aesthetically beautiful and add a lot to the visual beauty of your bar. I think you will enjoy them all.

I can only comment on one of those, as it is the only one I have ever tasted. And I had a drink of it at a bar, just last Sunday.

It was Rock Hill Farms and it is one of the very best bourbons I have ever tasted. Rich, thick, and dark. The impression of raisins kept coming to me.

For your reference, my current top three favorites are Rare Breed, Old Grand Dad 114, and OFBB '02. IMHO, the Rock Hill Farms is better than all of them. I sure wish it was available in Alabama.

Tim

John,

Amazingly, or perhaps not, your list includes two bourbons that rank among my favorites and two that rank close to the bottom, within the relevant price range. (I haven't tried the remaining one.)

I greatly enjoy RHF and the VW Lot "B". However, I must note that each is somewhat unusual within its family. The RHF is perhaps the most assertive of the middle and upper range of the regular Buffalo Trace family. (Think "Turbo-Blanton's".) The VW has a spicy character that sets it apart from the ORVW 10/107 or 15/107, as well as the VW special bottlings (Sam's and Park Ave) that I've tried. I love it, but it's sufficiently different that a fondness for the other VW bottlings may not be a good basis upon which to choose it.

I've said elsewhere that the EC18 is just too much wood and char for my taste. (Another possibly relevant data point: I like the Old Ezra 15 y/o, with its less pronounced woodiness.) However, I've tried only one bottle. Perhaps the next one will show me why Chuck and Bettye Jo are so fond of it.

I dearly wanted to love the Jefferson's Reserve because I think the bottle is gorgeous. I was very disappointed. From the first sip to the last, it never got any better than "interesting". The taste reminded me of chewing on a yellow, wooden pencil.

FYI, my Sam's sale order consisted of four bottles of Hirsch 16 y/o (making a total of eight in the bunker now) and four of the VWSR Lot "B" 12y/o.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I went to Sam's on 2/8 and they didn't have any Black Maple Hill 14 yo. The Jefferson's Reserve was disappointing. Certainly not worth the price,imho. They did have plenty of Hirsch 16 yo. toast.gif

Black Maple Hill (#144) 14yo

Elijah Craig 18yo

Jefferson Reserve

Rock Hill

Van Winkle Lot B

My only suggestions would be to add a Hirsch 16yo (32.66) and a Wathen's (21.72) to the order. Since you like wheaters, you may want to add a Weller 12yo (13.73), too.

You'll be glad that you included the Rock Hill Farms (32.77). It's one of BT's best bottlings, though much less publicized.

I was not going to buy anything during the recent sale, but temptation was too great! smirk.gif So what else is new! grin.gif Anyway, I got myself a couple more bottles of the Hirsch 16 YO to add to the bunker since it is such a great price. Get 'em while ya can I figured. Also, I grabbed a bottle of the Rock Hill Farms based on the comments from Tim, Cliff, Dave and others here. I can't believe that I have not yet had the opportunity to taste this one. I am one of the many here that love the Buffalo Trace line-up, so I will definitely look forward to trying it!

I had hoped to get a bottle of Black Maple Hills, but like StellerFan, I was disappointed that they were out of stock on this one. Oh well, ya can't win em all.

Bob

I tried getting one of the BMH's very very soon after the sale began and the guy told me he had just sold the last one a few minutes before I called. That was nearly a month ago, so it would seem they never got more in...

I received an email from Sam's. They have extended their Winter Warehouse Sale three days. It now ends at Midnight, Wednesday, March 3.

They may have cleared out all of their Black Maple Hill, but apparently the inventory of some bottlings is still above the desirable level.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.