Knob Creek Mashbill

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

According to Mark Waymack and James Harris in "The Book of Classic American Whiskeys", Knob Creek uses the same high-rye mashbill as Old Grandad and Basil Hayden's. I remember reading discussions on this board to the contrary. Does anyone have another source that could confirm or deny this claim?

Well, I can't help with your quest for an authoritative answer, but to me, KC tastes good, like OGD. yum.gif And yes, I know that others disagree about it tasting good.

Tim

It's funny that I love OGD, but don't really care for KC. If it's true that the mashbills are the same, it goes to show that most of the magic happens in the barrel, regardelss of how it began.

Bobby also weighed in on this question. Perhaps he can cite an independent source for the information.

Bobby?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

My source is utter simplicity, the women who run the outpost cover this if you visit there.

Knob Creek is not OGD, although somehow that idea has really gotten around. It is the standard Jim Beam mashbill, which is the same bourbon mashbill used for everything Jim Beam makes except Old Grand-Dad and Basil Hayden's. This information is from the company when the brands were introduced more than a decade ago.

Since Beam makes two bourbon mashbills, it would be interesting if they would do what Four Roses does, i.e., make a bourbon by mixing the two together. Or maybe not.

This information is from the company when the brands were introduced more than a decade ago.

So there was a time when it was made from the OGD/BH mashbill? If so, when did the change take place?

So there was a time when it was made from the OGD/BH mashbill?

So far as I know, it has never been made from the OGD/BH mashbill, always from the JB masbill.

Waymack and Harris imply that they recieved this information directly from the folks at JB during their research. How would they have gotten that completely wrong? Could they have been fed some mis-information?

Could they have been fed some mis-information?

I doubt that that is the case.

It just so happens I have been sucking on some Knob Creek this week. (I hope to have the bourbon nipple patented soon.) Based purely on taste, I just can't believe it is 9 year old, 100 proof Old Grand-Dad.

Based purely on taste, I just can't believe it is 9 year old, 100 proof Old Grand-Dad.

I won't disagree with you there, as I really enjoy OGD 100 but rather dislike KC.

I have never tasted OGD 100, but I, too, do not like KC. Except for Basil Hayden, it is my least preferred Jim Beam premium blends. I actually prefer Bakers over Bookers. I just had a Bookers last night with "one cube only." (Ice cube, not the forum member.) I also had a Spring 1990 OF Birthday Bourbon and enjoyed it very much. I liked it better than the Bookers. I also enjoyed a Russell's Reserve 10 yo with the other two bourbons. Three is my max for one night! I drink about once a week, so this was a little unusual. rolleyes.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.