"Baby BTAC"

Clifford
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/10/2017 at 9:39 PM, Clifford said:

"Baby BTAC": Eagle Rare 10, Weller Antique 107, Stag Jr., and Sazerac Rye?

Looks like forgot the EHT Rye to represent the Handy in the Baby BATC.  BT has 3 bourbon and 1 rye mash bills.  All their juice starts as one of the 4.  Weller 12 and Pappy start as the same barrels.  Weller 12 is three years younger.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:45 PM, Fishin49er said:

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I would say Weller 12 is the baby WLW. What would be considered the baby THH, if there is one?

I'd Say Col ET Taylor Rye.

Just now, Clifford said:

I'd Say Col ET Taylor Rye for TH Handy.

Weller "Antique" represents the WLW due to it's"Antique" branding and higher proof . Weller 12 is Baby Pappy. 

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Please elaborate on Biba, sounds Polish?

Nope, but I'm actually kind of glad you asked Nitt. :mellow:

I've been a member here going on ten years now. Before I joined, I lurked for a while to get a feel for the site. Back then, a number of members had their own "signatures" so to speak.  A long time ago I started using  "Cheers! Joe" as my signature/sign off when I made a post. It appears that a newer member or two must have liked my sign off, because they started using "Cheers!" too. No biggee. I decide to change my sign off. 

Since I'm of Irish descent, I started using "Sláinte! Joe" as my sign off. Sláinte basically means cheers in Irish/Scottish. That was fine for a while, but then one member used "Sláinte" too. Again, no biggee. I decided to change my sign off yet again.

My father joined the US Navy in 1939, and served all through WWII. He was stationed on Guam until just before the Japanese bombed Pear Harbor in 1941. The native language on Guam is Chamorro. Biba means cheers in Chamorro. I'm just trying to have some fun and be original. But..... FWIW, I ain't changing my sign off again. <_< 

Cheers! Sláinte! Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

@fishnbowljoe , Cheers as a signature on a site about spirits shouldn't really be considered it isn't exactly unique. It's also quite a common way to end an email or other forms of communication, particularly among the Brits or folks that work with Brits. Not surprising that others happen to use the sign off.

Biba, pretty sure your on your own with that.

Biba!

33 minutes ago, Clifford said:

I'd Say Col ET Taylor Rye.

I'm not sure how related they are since the CEHT Rye has a mashbill of rye and barley. The Sazerac and THH have a 3 grain mashbill. 

46 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Looks like forgot the EHT Rye to represent the Handy in the Baby BATC.  BT has 3 bourbon and 1 rye mash bills.  All their juice starts as one of the 4.  Weller 12 and Pappy start as the same barrels.  Weller 12 is three years younger.

Once again, NO, we aren't doing this.

Second, EHT rye is a completely different mashbill as noted above. Sazerac Rye is the same mashbill as Handy and about the same age. We do call that one Baby Saz here.

Third, it is not juice.

• I like it 1

Eagle rare 17 is older Eagle Rare 10, Stagg Sr is older Stagg Jr. I kind of think of OWA as baby Pappy (actually more like baby ORVW), and W12 as baby WLW, similar to how THH is just cask strength baby Saz (similar age, lower proof) and as for Saz 18, well that is just older....baby Saz. Hmmm I guess baby saz is kind of a twofer. Now where does that leave Van Winkle Rye....?

• I like it 1

Eagle rare 17 is older Eagle Rare 10, Stagg Sr is older Stagg Jr. I kind of think of OWA as baby Pappy (actually more like baby ORVW), and W12 as baby WLW, similar to how THH is just cask strength baby Saz (similar age, lower proof) and as for Saz 18, well that is just older....baby Saz. Hmmm I guess baby saz is kind of a twofer. Now where does that leave Van Winkle Rye....?

I agree with all your logic. With that being said that's why there's no Van Winkle Rye there's no BT alternative.

16 minutes ago, Theiano said:

and as for Saz 18, well that is just older....baby Saz. Hmmm I guess baby saz is kind of a twofer. Now where does that leave Van Winkle Rye....?

Not necessarily. Older Saz 18 was a tanked rye from old sources. New Saz18? Not sure any of us know the recipe.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Not necessarily. Older Saz 18 was a tanked rye from old sources. New Saz18? Not sure any of us know the recipe.

I was thinking more conceptually than absolutely (and partly tongue in cheek), but that is an excellent point, I guess there is no true baby Saz 18, yet!

I think for all the other "baby" BTAC there would be a significant amount of flexibility with the barrel quality, age and even recipes sometimes as long as they conform to the flavor requirements. I have heard for Eagle rare for example that they allow some Mashbill #2 barrels through if they meet the flavor profile. I presume that would not be the case for Weller though :blink:.

10 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I'm not sure how related they are since the CEHT Rye has a mashbill of rye and barley. The Sazerac and THH have a 3 grain mashbill. 

Right, THH and Baby Saz are same mash bill, roughly the same age, just different proof.

CEHT Rye is a different (higher rye) mash bill.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, Fishin49er said:

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I would say Weller 12 is the baby WLW. What would be considered the baby THH, if there is one?

Handy IS the baby BTAC as far as I am concerned. They want to have a BTAC rye at barrel proof to compliment the 90 proof Saz 18 then let it get older (10 or 12 years perhaps!) like the rest of the BTAC collection. Wouldn't that be lovely.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, HoustonNit said:

I agree with all your logic. With that being said that's why there's no Van Winkle Rye there's no BT alternative.

I have often wonder that if the VWFRR does ever return would it perhaps be a blend of the 2 BT rye mashbills (Sazerac and CEHT rye) just as the VWFRR rye was long thought to be a blend of two older long lost ryes? Both are presumably at least 13yo now (I think CEHT was thought to be maybe 8-9yo when it was first released a few years ago). Might be interesting.

All that said, I am with Steve. No, Just no! Why would you want to create extra and most certainly unneeded hype of bottles that are already hard enough to find?

On 12/11/2017 at 11:24 PM, Theiano said:

Great answer. I stand corrected.  Thank you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.