Chicago Trip

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Are there any store recs on the North Shore that I should visit? Is OWA a rarity in that area or is it somewhat available? Wanting to grab a couple for gifts and my local spots have dried up. Thanks

I haven't seen OWA around here for a while.  Warehouse Liquors always has plenty of private selections available if that interests you.  They're located in the loop.

If your looking for OWA, I'd seriously consider picking up some OF BIB. This is much easier to find in Chicago. I think OWA is better but a fellow Houstonian bourbon guy who probably had a better palate than me prefers OF BIB and always gets a bottle when in Chicago.

Ditto on Warehouse. Located in the South Loop, & usually have several store picks. You can check out the Binnys off of Clybourne (Lincoln Park store), or the store on the west side of the South Loop. Binnys always has several store picks going. They recently had about 8 or so different EC barrels, two if which were 12 years. They have a new batch of KCSB picks coming, & last time included an amazing 13.5 yr barrel, but not sure when they will arrive.

Doubtful you will find any OWA. I see it more when venturing out to small town shops outside chicagoland.

5 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

If your looking for OWA, I'd seriously consider picking up some OF BIB. This is much easier to find in Chicago. I think OWA is better but a fellow Houstonian bourbon guy who probably had a better palate than me prefers OF BIB and always gets a bottle when in Chicago.

I'm really not trying to split hairs here. I'm simply asking an honest question. OF on SB shows up as Old Forester. Were you referring to Old Forester BIB or Old Fitz BIB?

Biba! Joe

3 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Ditto on Warehouse. Located in the South Loop, & usually have several store picks. You can check out the Binnys off of Clybourne (Lincoln Park store), or the store on the west side of the South Loop. Binnys always has several store picks going. They recently had about 8 or so different EC barrels, two if which were 12 years. They have a new batch of KCSB picks coming, & last time included an amazing 13.5 yr barrel, but not sure when they will arrive.

Doubtful you will find any OWA. I see it more when venturing out to small town shops outside chicagoland.

Actually we  are going to be in Wilmette area.. that doesnt happen to be what you mean by small town does it? Its gonna be tough to get down to the loop with the wife and kid in tow.. but i’ll try to think of a way to do it.

I'm really not trying to split hairs here. I'm simply asking an honest question. OF on SB shows up as Old Forester. Were you referring to Old Forester BIB or Old Fitz BIB?

Biba! Joe

Sorry Joe I need to put this as Old Fitz, post from tapatalk and the SB abbreviations don't show up. That being said I'd love some OF BIB like that bottle I recall in your stash.

This actually brings up a good question for a wheater fan. You live in Illinois and love wheaters, yet I never see you drink OFitz BIB? I personally think HH wheater has more in common with EW and other HH products than Weller but still good bourbon and a wheater.

2 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Actually we  are going to be in Wilmette area.. that doesnt happen to be what you mean by small town does it? Its gonna be tough to get down to the loop with the wife and kid in tow.. but i’ll try to think of a way to do it.

No, Wilmette is Chicagoland. There are Binnys in Glencoe, Skokie, & Lincolnwood nearby.

10 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Skokie Binnys had OF BIB last time I was there.

Great! I definitely should be able to slide over there for a few minutes. Thanks

Edited by FasterHorses
Misspelling

Great! I definitwly should be able to slide over there for a few minutes. Thanks

Come down to Texas and we'll get you a bottle of OWA, in Chi-Town get some OldFitz BIB.

I've found OWA in a couple far south suburban stores.  Lately it has been priced at gouger price levels.  Make a few calls to liquor stores on the North Side, you could get lucky.

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Sorry Joe I need to put this as Old Fitz, post from tapatalk and the SB abbreviations don't show up. That being said I'd love some OF BIB like that bottle I recall in your stash.

This actually brings up a good question for a wheater fan. You live in Illinois and love wheaters, yet I never see you drink OFitz BIB? I personally think HH wheater has more in common with EW and other HH products than Weller but still good bourbon and a wheater.

Thanks Nitt, but no need to apologize. It's all good. 

FWIW, I live about an hour or so away from the Chicago area. One store near me has always had Old Fitz BIB on the shelf. I went there a while back to get a bottle because I was sure they had it, and I was thinking about possibly revisiting it as a BOTM. I was pretty surprised when I went there and they didn't have any. I actually saw the "new" bottle Old Forester BIB on the shelf here for the first time this past weekend. Yeah, I bought one. :P 

Whether it's taxes, politics, religion, booze or what not, ya' just never know or can tell here in Illinois. :huh:

Biba! Joe

Thanks Nitt, but no need to apologize. It's all good. 

FWIW, I live about an hour or so away from the Chicago area. One store near me has always had Old Fitz BIB on the shelf. I went there a while back to get a bottle because I was sure they had it, and I was thinking about possibly revisiting it as a BOTM. I was pretty surprised when I went there and they didn't have any. I actually saw the "new" bottle Old Forester BIB on the shelf here for the first time this past weekend. Yeah, I bought one. [emoji14] 

Whether it's taxes, politics, religion, booze or what not, ya' just never know or can tell here in Illinois. :huh:

Biba! Joe

You're in Rockford right? Very interested in the new Old Forester BIB, please post a pic. You still didn't tell us why the biggest wheater fan doesn't seem to like Old Fitz?

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Come down to Texas and we'll get you a bottle of OWA, in Chi-Town get some OldFitz BIB.

Cant wait to get to Texas after seein the stuff you come across. I have family in Dallas, may have to pay em a visit via Houston

Rockford is correct. I'm definitely a wheater fan, but first and foremost I'm a Weller whore. :lol:

I didn't say I didn't like Old Fitz. I actually love it. The problem is I got kinda spoiled early on in my bourbon journey. I got into bourbon when you could still find some good dusty stuff around at mostly reasonable prices. Old Forester BIB, SW Old Fitz BIB, BHC VSOF 12 and regular VSOF 12 a little later on being some of those. 

As for me, the jury's till out on the current Old Forester BIB. To be totally honest, I just can't quite seem to get a handle on it.

I have something further to add here. After the demise of the BHC, the VSOF 12 wasn't around for a very short while. When it reappeared, a number of folks thought it wasn't near what it used to be. I actually had another member pm me about this. He thought it was terrible. He actually sent me a bottle so he could get my take on it. I agreed with his opinion. It sucked. :mellow: It disappeared for a while again. Alas, the next time it reappeared, it was 100 % better. I got to taste it thanks to Gary Gillman. And of course I bought a couple of bottles. ^_^

Pic#1. New bottle Old Forester BIB

Pic#2.  An older picture of Old Fitz and Old Forester stuff

Pic#3.  Same as pic #2, but slightly updated

Biba! Joe

of.jpeg

of1.jpeg

of2.jpeg

Thanks for the reply Joe, forgot those lovely pics of your Old Fitz stash and your OF Bonded.

You're definitely a wheater whore as it appears once your remodeled and got rid of your awesome wallpaper your Fitz stash depleted over time while your OF Bonded stash appears to have expanded.

P.S. showed my wife pics of your wallpaper as part of our remodel. Unfortunately she didn't care for it.

Sadly, I actually don't have much of either one left. -_-

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I've seen OWA in the Chicago burbs a few times recently. One place was off W. Boughton in Bolingbrook. Being from TX, I don't hunt OWA when I'm out of state, so I didn't check the price. I do prefer Old Fitz BIB over OWA though, however unpopular that opinion may be.

I'm on the Northshore I can private message you a few places I know of that carry Old Fitz BIB.

The Binny's in Highland Park used to carry OWA and SR.  I check that location weekly and haven't found it in a few years.  Luckily I prefer Old Fitz BIB to both of those.  

17 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I've seen OWA in the Chicago burbs a few times recently. One place was off W. Boughton in Bolingbrook. Being from TX, I don't hunt OWA when I'm out of state, so I didn't check the price. I do prefer Old Fitz BIB over OWA though, however unpopular that opinion may be.

I agree with your opinion.  I fear the day HH pulls Old Fitz BIB from the Chicagoland area.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:50 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Rockford is correct. I'm definitely a wheater fan, but first and foremost I'm a Weller whore. :lol:

I didn't say I didn't like Old Fitz. I actually love it. The problem is I got kinda spoiled early on in my bourbon journey. I got into bourbon when you could still find some good dusty stuff around at mostly reasonable prices. Old Forester BIB, SW Old Fitz BIB, BHC VSOF 12 and regular VSOF 12 a little later on being some of those. 

As for me, the jury's till out on the current Old Forester BIB. To be totally honest, I just can't quite seem to get a handle on it.

I have something further to add here. After the demise of the BHC, the VSOF 12 wasn't around for a very short while. When it reappeared, a number of folks thought it wasn't near what it used to be. I actually had another member pm me about this. He thought it was terrible. He actually sent me a bottle so he could get my take on it. I agreed with his opinion. It sucked. :mellow: It disappeared for a while again. Alas, the next time it reappeared, it was 100 % better. I got to taste it thanks to Gary Gillman. And of course I bought a couple of bottles. ^_^

Pic#1. New bottle Old Forester BIB

Pic#2.  An older picture of Old Fitz and Old Forester stuff

Pic#3.  Same as pic #2, but slightly updated

Biba! Joe

of.jpeg

of1.jpeg

of2.jpeg

I think WT 101 is the only bottle with more label changes over the last few years than OF 100pf. 

IMG_20171214_223614622.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.